“Wow...what a holiday”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Adelaide, Australia
“Wow...what a holiday”
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Perfect weather, perfect hotel, perfect people, perfect holiday destination.....PERFECT HOLIDAY. We just loved our time spent in Fiji at the Westin. Food is a bit expensive & if you want time away from the kids, this is not the place for you. We had an Ocean Front room, which is the only way to go. The Westin is a family resort with everything there. Recommend a day trip to one of the islands, and a visit to the Valley of the Giants. So much to do & so little time.

Room Tip: Has to be an Ocean Front Room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We have just arrived home after staying here for 9 nights. Service was great, atmosphere was great, room was fantastic, pool great and eateries great too. My only issue is that we reported something missing and were promised it would be looked into but was never mentioned again, although it was nothing of great value it wss disappointing that it seemed to have been forgotten about or swept under the carpet in hope that we would forget about it....in saying this I would not hesitate to stay there again!

Room Tip: Ground floor tropical garden view room close to amenities and quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Bula Vinaka dani f

We appreciate your time in posting your feedback. Great to read you enjoyed the facilities and the service by our staff. Please do contact our Chief of Security on apenisa.whippy@sheraton.com so we may investigate the issue further as we take the safety and security of our guest and their belongings very seriously. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2013

From recollection, the first 30 seconds of the hotel experience was impressive from a visual perspective, on meeting the staff at the book-in counter, I was truly shocked and confused by the unfriendly welcome my sister and I had received. We felt so very unwelcomed which was a real disappointment to say the very least. While the hotel is beautiful in its design, it is way over priced as are all the services they provide. Little did we know that they slap you with a 20% tax on top of every food and beverage purchase. For example, a glass of wine, a mocktail and two bowls of chips could cost you a staggering $55 Australia. Service is slow but that was understandable due to Fijian culture and we were happy to go with the flow. However, another low point of our stay occurred when my sister slipped and fell over flat on her back in the lobby due to wet floors (no warning signs). Sadly, all staff members in the vicinity either looked on or laughed. YES I did say laugh, not one staff member came to my sisters assistance, making the experience even more distressing. One of the desk staff eventually told up that she couldn't come and help as she was busy serving other guests... go figure. This hotel is a law-suit waiting to happen due to their negligence. During our visit to Fiji, we stayed at the Western Denaru a total of four nights too long. I recommend that you eat out at the Denaru Marina as there are plenty of shops, cafes, pubs and restaurants to choose from. Or try the Sofitel Resort (next door), great food/ great atmosphere. While travelling with my sister we simply requested two separate beds and clearly stated this when we booked on two separate occasions. Neither request was acknowledged and we had to argue with the staff to honor the booking requirements. Needless to say, both times we booked we were given one bed to share. Another low point had to be the drunken NUDE tourists running around the pool area and on the beach while security just stood there and laughed, this instance just proves how poorly the resort is managed overall. Yes, while it might seem hilarious, who wants someone's private parts thrust in your face when you've just finished dinner. Moving forward, I have travelled the world and stayed in many lovely resorts but I would have to say that while the hotel is pleasing to the eye, sadly this resort is in desperate need of improvement on so many levels, especially in way of customer service. For that and many other reasons I would not recommend this hotel, not in a heartbeat. Save your money and go stay somewhere else i.e. Sofitel where the ambience and service are very pleasant, and where you will be treated like a valued guest, not the opposite.

Room Tip: Don't be rail-roaded into a room that is on the main road and which has the distinct odour of fr...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Kim P
Bula Kim P
Thank you for your comments after your recent stay. My apologies for failing to meet your expectations on this visit. Our staffs receive great feedback on their friendliness and warmth - creating lasting impressions. Our Food & Beverage pricing is comparable to other resorts on the island. Unfortunately the staff you have mentioned work for our third party partners - tour desk and water sports and their lack of empathy has been escalated to their managers for retraining. Unfortunately, we don’t have any incidents reported either by yourselves or the security in regards to the nude incident and are not able to investigate this further, however I have escalated this for retraining of security personnel. In regards to the room, during high occupancies we are not always able to accommodate requests due to bedding configurations.
Again, my apologies as your experience is not reflective of our normal excellence in service.

Warm regards
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We chose to spend our last night in Fiji at the Westin on Denarau island. We had spent a week on an outlying island and had an early morning flight so needed to be closer to the airport.

This property is just beautiful. The architecture is Fijian style and the lobby gives a very good first impression. Staff are all very efficient and excellent. The property is opposite the beach so there is a choice of swimming in the sea or in one of the pools.

We chose to dine at Peter Kuravita's Steakhouse and were not disappointed. The food and service were excellent but the most lasting memory is of the restaurant staff standing before our table at the end of the meal and singing their Farewell song to us. It was very emotional and a lovely touch.

Our room was comfortable and well appointed. However it was not sound proof and unfortunately there was a family next door with a toddler who cried constantly. We were woken several times in the night by the child literally screaming the place down - this is the last thing we needed when we had a 5am wake up call.

Other than that - we loved the place . Thank you to all the staff who made our short stay memorable.

Bula ally46Australia

Thank you for your post acknowledging the warmth and friendliness of our staff and the uniqueness of our resort - cultural Fijian architecture with modern Westin offerings. Indeed the Steakhouse by Peter Kuravita is receiving great feedback for their culinary delights and great to see the staff left a lasting impression with the farewell "Isa Lei" I will alert the Chief Engineer on the sound proof issue.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Paris, France
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I have stayed one night in March. I have booked as it is Starwood Hotels and I keep a good memory of my stays in Westin Berlin. Unfortunately owners of this property are not the same than Westin Berlin. It needs some renovation, in fact you can see that some renovation has been done but just half way.
It is the kind of building build in the 80s with no charm. My stay was ok, staff very kind.
Room big enough. No wifi connection in my room.
The Steack House restaurant offer delicious food and very kind staff.
This hotel i think is great for families but too crowdy for couple.
My stay was average, nothing bad but nothing wow as well.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank NawakRed
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, 29 April 2013
Bula NawakRed
Thank you for your review. As a regular traveller, I am sure you will appreciate that each resort/hotel is different. Our resort has its uniqueness in its look and feel of Fijian history / culture and this is very well received by a lot of our guests as it sets us apart from other resorts on the island, - I am sorry that this did not meet your expectation. While our look and feel is cultural, we still offer all the signature Westin experiences including culinary offerings, Westin Heavenly bed and great hospitality by our warm and friendly staff.

The revitalisation of the resort is an ongoing process and unfortunately one that cannot be achieved overnight.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2013

What an amazing holiday at the Westin! I travelled with my family (made up of 8 adults and 4 children under the age of 4 years old) and stayed at the Westin for 5 nights. The lobby area is beautiful - a fantastic first impression!The rooms are spacious and modern with very comfortable beds. We definitely thought the pool area was one of the best in the chain of resorts on Denarau, with a split design of varying depths and bubbles. It's very handy being able to organise all the activities from the resort - from the in-house things such as fish feeding, kava tasting, and dancing, through to scuba diving charters and parasailing. However, it was the staff who really made the difference. Nothing was too much trouble for them to organise (including room upgrades and private dinners) and they even took the time to learn all our names so that we were personally greeted around the resort. They're also fantastic with children! A fabulous stay at a resort I would recommend to anyone and one I will definitely be back to.

Room Tip: Some of the garden view rooms also have views of the ocean from the balcony and bed so try for one o...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Bula Vinaka Vicki C

Thank you for taking time out to post a comprehensive review of your recent stay. We are delighted to have made your stay a memorable one with connections created by our staff. Great to see the whole travelling party took full advantage of our activities and facilities.

We look forward to your return visit.
Bethany Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

I'm a diehard Starwood guy (eg, almost lifetime Platinum), and I wanted to like this place, but I just can't.

I just came from the Intercontinental and there is simply no comparison ... the Westin (and Sheratons) are simply subpar properties.

First of all, Danarau should be avoided. It's artificial and about as far away from the real Fiji as humanly possible. Second of all, the Westin is old and weathered and in desperate need of upgrading (as a Platinum member I was upgraded to an Oceanfront room, but the stains in the bathtub and wear in the room were just subpar for a Westin resort). I tried the dining at Flying Fish and was entirely underwhelmed: too expensive, too little food, and can't begin to compare with the local options. Finally, the happy hour at the Westin was no bargain compared to other hotel happy hours I experienced (everywhere else the 20% tax was included in the price ... not so at the Westin).

Look, perhaps this place isn't really "terrible," but considering the price and other options in Fiji, yeah, I guess it is. Head to the Intercontinental where the service is better, the rooms are far more modern and comfortable, the dining is better, and even the drinks are better! That really pains me to say ... as a diehard Starwood guy ... but I would rather pay for a quality experience then to succumb to mediocrity.

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Fomocolovesu
RavinderSDhesi, Hotel Manager at The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Bula Vinaka Fomocolosevu

Thank you for your review as a loyal Starwood Preferred Guest. My apologies for failing to meet your expectations. The uniqueness of the resort with its Fijian cultural look and feel along with all the Westin brand signature offerings such as Westin Heavenly beds, Westin Heavenly Spa, Superfoods inspired culinary offerings is well received and commented on. All our ocean front accommodation blocks have been refurbished within the last two years. Denarau as a destination is well regarded for its central location and access to many options - accommodation, activities and dining. I feel that perhaps your review of the resort is based on Denarau as a destination did not suit your expectations.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,392 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!