Just back from 5 nights at the Westin and although I rate the hotel 4 stars because of a few shortfalls in the room, the overall experience was definitely 5 stars. The resort is lovely, the breakfasts wonderful, but it's the staff here who really makes the place sing.
Special mention to Arun Kumar who runs the Lawn Bowls activity and Lola the lovely waitress who served drinks around the pool. Arun plays for Fiji and takes care of the green which is of international standard. I'd never had any interest in lawn bowls in my life but through his patience, expertise and lovely manner he was able to impart a love for the game and make it the highlight of our late afternoons there.
Just back to the couple of shortfalls, our bathroom had no ventilation whatsoever which was really hard to comprehend and when we asked the lovely room attendant for a candle or air freshener we had a knock at the door and opened to receive 4 bottles of water. We're guessing someone else was more surprised to have received air freshener when they opened theirs. Not there long enough to make any of this too much of a problem and the relaxed and friendly nature of the Fijians makes up for some small shortfalls. Deck chairs around the pool area could also benefit from some cushioning but with the Sheraton to choose from as well there are a few options. Overall a great experience for myself and my 82 year old mother.
TIPS: We had an Accor card which meant we could eat at the adjoining Sofitel Hotel for 50% off. If you don't have an Accor card, purchase a Starwood Card which gives you the same discount at both the Sheraton and Westin Hotels. Yearly cost easily offset by the savings on food alone.
While staying at a resort is a lovely experience if you have the time or inclination, it's also very rewarding to give back to the community there. Because I travelled separately to my mother, I caught a local taxi to the hotel and the driver was overjoyed to get the fare esp from a tourist as they miss out a lot with the resorts using their own drivers and local drivers not able to pick you up from there. Fijian living standards are still very low and unemployment is high so getting out of resort areas getting yourself to Nadi then catching a local taxi to the villages etc is a great eye opener and a lovely way to see the culture first hand. Gifts of toys and books etc are always received with overwhelming gratitude and give the whole resort experience a bit more texture.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa beautifully reflects Fiji's rich cultural heritage and local style. Offering the finest resort facilities including 243 guestrooms and suites and the award winning Heavenly Spa by Westin, it is a simply stunning resort for your next holiday in the South Pacific. Stay in 1, play in all 3: directly adjacent to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa are the Sheraton Fiji Resort and the Sheraton Denarau Villas. Within the shared complex, guests can enjoy all facilities including the 14 dining venues, 6 swimming pool and the Denarau Golf and Racquet Club. Starwood Preferred Guest(R) Members receive complimentary in room internet and special dining discounts when booking direct. Book direct today. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Starwood APAC, Expedia, Odigeo, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort And Spa Fiji
- The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji Hotel Denarau Island
- Westin Denarau Island
- Denarau Island Westin