“Falls Very Short of the Mark - This is not the norm for Westin”

The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Westin Port Denaru Fiji

Located 15mins drive from Nadi International Airport is Denaru Island and Port Denaru is the upscale resort complex of Fiji that does not require a 2 or 3 hour drive from the Airport and contains a wide range of leisure facilities including a Golf and Tennis Club, Marina, Modest Shopping Centre as well as about half a dozen resorts including the Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Sofitel and Trendwest.

The Westin’s first impressions are indeed impressive. A typical warm and hearty Fijian welcome is always on offer at the lobby, The open air lobby is one of the best designed I’ve seen since I seen the Arcadia ( now Hilton arcadia Phuket lobby ) when it opened in the late 1980s and merges dark stained timber, water ponds and fire torches at night to indeed create a rather lovely space whilst during the day its very calm, open and airy space.

Where the picture perfect paradise starts to fall apart is when you leave the lobby for your room.

The rooms are housed in two story mini villas, The room décor is heavy on natural timber furniture with exposed beam ceilings creating expansive space. The Bose sound system was a nice surprise but not as half as surprising as the poor TV reception and nearly non existent choice of channels on the 42” Plasma. The empty mini bar was a surprise I expect this in rural China and 3 star places not at a Westin Resort ( If I can afford the room rate here I can afford A $9 coke from the mini bar )

The bathroom that was a real lowlight , Not because it looks like it was constructed by two blind guys who learnt bathroom construction from A Pod Cast but because it was plainly the worst bathroom I have ever seen period. The Shower screen which looked like something from the 1970s recycled was terrible and the wonder shower head with its two outlets does nothing more than pose an injury risk to anyone who is taller than 4ft high and or simulate what happens on a Submarine when it starts to leak. The soaps and shampoos where terrible and in short supply, the novelty green leaf soaps where a joke. Simply Terrible.

The beds where also the worst I had ever slept on and they include once again those cement blocks covered in a sheet frequently found in China. Way too soft actually left me with back ache after the first night. Was not impressed also that we had specifically booked a King and got twin beds instead. My bad back on the second night didn’t keep me awake as much as the mid night construction crew hammering a roof together on a nearby native structure or the collection of gecko’s ( lizzards ) that only make noise when the lights go out and you wish to sleep. The cobwebs on the wall show the cleaning lady was also still learning on the job. Having to ask for a Hair Drier was the final straw....

Food options are limited in the hotel and rather unimpressive. The local Japanese restaurants much renowned lobster dumplings where big on promise but short on delivery, the taste just wasn’t there it could have been anything to be honest. The sushi and sashimi however was good however. As for drinks at all the bars they are terrible, The Cocktails are terrible A Pina Colada is only Pina Colada with Booze. Stick to the Local Brews.

The Hotel does not really have what I would call a beach, Think shore line with black sands at low tide. You need to go off-shore for that typical postcard tropical beach, at the resort Swimming is basically limited to the Hotel Pool which gets very crowded and as good as it looks it nothing as good as found at resorts elsewhere in my view.

The Hotel features a couple of shops none amazing. The Hotel Supermarket is well stocked and not too expensive, there is a constant native arts and crafts market and a couple of other shops selling trinkets and an ice cream bar.

Outside of the Hotel beyond Golf and Tennis there is not a wide variety of things to do. The nearby Town of Nadi is good to fill in a couple of hours of your day sightseeing ( Do not fall for the $50 half day bus tour this is a scam – get a taxi for half that for a 3 hour tour to Nadi and the surrounds. ) Do not expect much you have been warned ( Any sightseeing tour that shows me the new fire station, the old hospital and points out the house where the drivers cousins lives is never going to deliver much lets face it. Who ever decided the best place for a power pole is right in front of the Hindu Temple spoiling every photo that’s taken should be hung from the pole. The Saturday market was mildly interesting but nothing amazing I stress. Go to Asia for this view!!!

Nearer to the Westin on Denaru Island is Port Denaru which is A Marina with a small collection of shops none of them amazing or unique, several bars and restaurants including the Hard Rock Café, A travel agents, post office and supermarket. All Charterboat Cruises and Cruise Ship tenders arrive and depart from here. Indigo is great for Indian food and as long as you avoid the cocktails the beer is cold and not overly priced in any of the bars. The whole place empties out about 11pm so don’t expect any late night raves. Port Denaru is easily accessed via the Bulla Bus which runs continuously from 8am to 11pm for about six dollars for a day pass. This Bus is a better choice than Taxi’s which can be quite scarce from time to time.

The Starwood Folks will have you believe The Westin Denaru this A Jewel in the Pacific. The reality beyond the manicured façade is less than polished when all is considered. The facilities are generally substandard, the rooms simply do not meet what is generally expected from a Westin property. Peer beyond the manicured façade and be prepared to disappointed proceed with caution.

3  Thank Novemberbravo1974

Reviewed 4 July 2010

Denarau island is not what we expecded its realy just an extenchion of the mainland so no beach to speek of,the hotel have a lovely main area but very average hotel blocks,it has manny rooms that was all ocqupied so we had to wait for 25-30 min in quee to get our breakfast ,I had orderd a room on the ground floor with a king bed,we got second floor with 2 beds,no elevators,by the time we had unpacked it was abouth 4 pm we just wanted a quick snack at the lovely bar area but was informed the kitchen was closed only after pointing out that the sign said food to 5 pm did we get served,we stayed to the left of the main building near the front of the beach but this was also the area where the had outdoor weddings every night with music til late but when we asked for a diffrent room they moved us strait away,pool area is nice but small aswell as being very cold also the where reparing some damaged flooring in the beach front steak house next to the pool so it was NOT peacefull by the pool,and there are no beach just a small strip to get the jetski in and out,my advice go to the islands or to the raddison a bit down the beach,the spa area is AMASING,bed toooooo soft

1  Thank greatdaneAdelaide
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed for 14 nights in June 2010.
The large upstairs beachfront room had high ceilings in a Fijian motif, and a decent sized balcony overlooking the beach. The ground floor rooms do not have high ceilings, and may have an obscured view due to an embankment, but would be perfect for children having access to a grassy area. The breakfast buffet was excellent with a wide selection. The restaurant food was excellent, not cheap, but not overly expensive considering resort costs. Other resort restaurants are a short walk or Bula bus ride away, along with a wide choice at the marina. The north facing beach on Denauru looks artificial, and is a bit gritty. The West facing beach is natural, but more open to westerly winds. Our room was clean, and service faultless. Yes sometimes service can seem a little slow, but maybe this is the reason you are here.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

This resort was booked at the last minute, and had a good rate at the time. I had no idea what it was like, and it was a case of blind faith.
Now when you look at the books and mags, it says its 5 star, this doesnt always impress me, and is not why we stayed. So that out of the way. Here are some of the things I encountered.
Although the hotel to some would be amazingly modern and upmarket, there are some elements which I have to say lost that resort feel. The pool for instance was not as inviting as you would like. it was angular and a little clinical really. Having stayed in fiji and the islands before, I found it had lost that beachy feel - especially as there is not really a clean beach to swim in - you have to go round the corner to the sheraton for the beach.
The rooms - were nice dont get me wrong, but it could have been a hotel room in any city. The beds are heavenly as they always are - although there was blood on one of the duvets which didnt have the cover.
Breakfast was an effort really - whether you get there early or late,there is a que to get in and be seated. The hotel was at max capacity so it could have been timing. But we found this a tad annoying. Breakfast was lovely however.
This is not a kid friendly place in my opinion, you are better off going to the sheraton next door. By contrast when we went to the sheraton - there were kids everywhere - although 1 of the pools was not much better than the westin, it was choka!
I actually thought the sheraton villas was alot better.
There didnt seem to be much going on at the westin really - it was quiet - no one played volleyball or seemed to use the kayaks etc.
The main thing that annoyed me - was the prices, they were taking the mickey really. Meals are super expensive, and they tell you the price - then add the 17.5% tax on - which makes the smallest dish SUPER EXPENSIVE. Infact this time in fiji, has made we sit up and think if its worth going back, as its not a cheap get away anymore. The resorts have you at their mercy with food. I suggest taking your own food, and making a trip to the markets to get fruit.
Overall the special we got was for 50% off normal rate which was great. However I wouldnt pay the full price to go there. I got married at sonaisali and at the time this was a lovely option, so look around at the resorts and think about whats important to you on your holiday.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Spent 2 weeks at the Westin and found it to be a very nice hotel, there was my wife and I and our 12 week old. Arrival was great, and room was as we booked, very nice room, but like everyone says, there is no minibar, we found this strange. As I said rooms are great and beds are very comfortable, but the bathrooms are like a step to a different place, it was clean but very outdated, towels were an issue (6 one day, none the next) but upon a phone call they were there straight away, room was serviced well, but could be at any time of the day. Need to stop the practice of reserving deck chairs with towels like the Raddison has. Pool food was ok and drinks were fine but very very expensive compared to other places, you expect high prices at quality resorts but these were crazy, go to nadi town and buy your own beer and nibbles etc, it will help the locals too that have been hit hard by the building of the Marina, didn't go to the spa due to price and didn't eat at the hotel resteraunts either due to the prices. Places to eat, at the port, Mama's pizza good to pick up, delivery very hit and miss. Nadina (fijian) great food lovely people. Indigo, Great Indian food great service. Cardo's, Great food, really cold beer. LuLu's awsome staff, cold beer great burgers etc and well priced, a real little gem. other places to eat are The Saffron in Nadi Town, best feed we had in Fiji, well priced and great staff. The golf and Racquet club Possibly the WORST PLACE TO EAT that we have ever been at in the world, and we have had some pretty dodgy experiences. The Raddison do a great buffet if you don't want to think to hard. The chilli tree in lautoka, is a great little cafe to stop at if you are doing a bit of a day trip and has a bit better shopping than Nadi town. lastly Bulachinno on the corner on the river bank is a great spot to have a cold beer or a nice coffee. Fiji is a lovely spot but would rate it behind Bali and Thailand, It is quite expensive and does not give you a varied holiday as the other places do. We would go back to the westin if it was just my wife and I but it is not a child friendly hotel and would most likely go to the Raddison next time with the kids, sure the beaches aren't great but the pools are fantastic. all in all the Westin was fine but need to do some cleaning and tidying up and review the pricing, hopefully the management will read this and take note, and get around and get some pointers from the other places, Breakfast was good, typical buffet, but the need to improve the quality of the fruit, it all looked like it had gone past its best.

1  Thank porchy70
Reviewed 28 June 2010

we had booked our family holiday with our six month old son and this hotel shoudl not be called a westin. it was disgusting, dirty, holes in sheets, doona stained, floor dirty, mould in bathroom, old toothpaste on bathroom basin, air conditioning dripping puddle on floor, the so called heavenly cot is far from heavenly, and something that i felt sick about putting our baby into... had dirty sheets for his bed... upon telling front desk about this there was little concern or reaction, it was only after much debate that we were transfered to another ocean front room and to our dismay it was not much better.... we have always stayed at the sheraton and thought we would try the westin, upon no further action from the hotel we then transfered to the sheraton which is just wonderful. i would never ever stay or recommend the westin again, it is a huge disgrace that this hotel is classed as a resort and five star because it is nothing of the kind... the hotel manager is also a very arrogant foolish young man someone i would not want to do business with.
please take my advice and never ever stay at the westin, for the money i expect service, quality and luxury all we got was dirt, disgust and despair.
dont do it!!!

Reviewed 26 June 2010

First of all I will mention before I start that my husband and I were travelling by rental van with other members of our family. We had been booked through Go Holidays by our travel agent as a group. When we arrived in Nadi we had travelled from Suva along the Coral Coast staying at other beautiful resorts along the way with no problems at all.

When we finally arrived at the Westin Denerau we were amazed by the beautiful front reception area and began to look forward to our stay. While we were organising our luggage from our van a tour bus arrived and we were pushed aside while the new guests recieved a warm welcome with all the drumming and many Bulas. Great were we not guests as well. We all went to reception as a group. Two rooms were ready and the other would be cleaned in the next half an hour. Time to have a relaxing drink. Well the waiting staff took a long time to take our our orders and deliver our drinks. While we waited my husband and I noticed that we were in another village away from our family. We asked reception if we could please have a room close to the others they agreed reluctantly to give us another room. So off to our rooms we went, after the bar staff chased us to sign the bills in which we had given up waitng for. The two other groups of family had nice rooms next to each other with nice ocean views and we got a dark dungeon that looked out onto what I could only describe as the compost heap. So back to reception we went and complained that our room was still miles away from the family and that we were not very happy. What a mistake that was. We were asked to take a seat in the main reception and then out came a female manager who then read us the right act in front of other guests and staff. She stood in front of us while we remained seated, growling and blaming our travel agent for the mix up. This we have checked since coming home and indeed we were booked as a group this should of not happened.

So now we had a new room which we had to wait for over an hour to be made ready it was still not close to family but hey after that treatment we were not ready for any more special Westin Denerau hospitality. The room was nice had the most amazing king size bed that was heavenly to sleep in. We still over looked the compost heap but because we were up stairs we has small windows of ocean views. The room was still very dark even during daylight hours we had to put on the light to see.

The next morning we went to the restaurant for breakfast. We were greeted by a young indain girl receptionist who was very grumpy and rude to the guests as they waited for tables. We had a special request as one of our party had sprained her ankle and no way could make the long journey for breakfast. We asked if we could take some food to her on a tray, breakfast was already paid for, and she told us No it was not right to take food to the rooms and we would have to talk to the superviser. Which we did and she was lovely and understood our plight. She explained to us about not taking perishable food because of the health risks but because she was so friendly and nice we were happy to do as she asked. On leaving the restaurant we showed the supervisor the food we had gathered and she said it was ok. The next morning same sour face receptionist giving out the same grief. This time we asked for a table to seat 6 she argued that there was only 4 of us. Hey our poor sister in law was still hobbling along and asked us to go ahead to secure a table. No understanding so what ever from this woman in fact how does she hold her job with such bad attitude.

My next complaint is the servicing of the room if you are lucky. In the mornings I made our bed. I put the wet towels in the bath tub ready for the cleaners to swap. When coming back to our room on both days our bed had been remade all pretty which was nice, the wet towels taken away and no replacements again another call reception and another long long long wait for the replacements. Not good this should have been done at the time of servicingof our room.

Maybe we have been unlucky with our visit to The Westin it has been like beeing in an episode of "Faulty Towers". We would definiately go back to Denerau Island Fiji but would stay at one of the other resorts. We do not recommend Westin Denerau resort to anyone unless you are Basil Faulty.

1  Thank Seiben
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#4 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Resort & Spa, Tokoriki Island

Been to The Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa Fiji? Share your experiences!