I just returned yesterday from the Sofitel Fiji and I had a blast! It was so nice to get away from it all and take some time out to relax. If you are thinking of going to the Sofitel Fiji then the following might help...
PROS. The rooms were very clean with clean linen and clean bathrooms. Complimentary bottle of 'Fiji Water' each night is a nice touch. TV in the room is ok with some good cable channels (inc Cartoon Network for the kids). Rooms are quiet with minimal external noise intrusion. The grounds are absolutely first class with landscaped and manicured gardens all around. The pool is amazing and has to be seen to be believed (although a swim up bar would have been a nice addition). The staff are friendly. The location is excellent - being only 20 mins from the airport (FJD$25 in a taxi). The grounds of Denarau Island are also immaculate, which adds to the whole atmosphere of the local area. On-Site watersport company 'Adrenalin Fiji' offer a wide range of activities (most with fee) such as parasailing and jetskiing, kayaking and sailing etc. The local 'Bula Bus' offers a shuttle around all the island resorts (Sheraton, Wyndham, Radisson, Hilton etc) and also to the main marina for FJD$6 for an all day pass. The food is great (although a little pricey) and the included-in-room-rate buffet breakfast will always leave you completely satisfied. The pool waterslide was popular.
CONS. It is a beachfront resort, but avoid the beach. It is black sand with coral and grit mixed in, and I am nursing a couple of cuts on my feet from the sand. The water is also not that clear due to the black sand. With the money they spent on the resort they should have bought in a couple of barge loads of proper beach sand - it would have made a world of difference. The food is quite pricey in the hotel restaurants and the selection becomes limited after you have eaten there for a couple of nights. There is a lack of resort activities to keep people entertained through the day. I stayed at the Naviti a couple of years ago and they had daily volleyball, football, archery, basket weaving, pool games etc... but the Sofitel seemed to only choose one activity per day, with most of them occurring only once per week. For example, they listed "Restaurant open for lunch" as an activity so the activities sheet looked a little more full. Adrenalin Fiji (see PROS) catered for most of the on-water activities, so if you are looking for a place to relax and laze by the pool, then lack of activities shouldn't be an issue.
Overall, those couple of minor downsides had very little impact on the overall impression of the Sofitel. I would recommend it to anyone, and I will be going back on my next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Fiji Resort and Spa is located on beautiful Denarau Island. This five star Fiji resort overlooks the beachfront, adjacent to the world class Denarau Golf and Racquet Club. Our Fiji beach resort offers 296 rooms, each with a private balcony. Other features at this Fiji luxury resort include a private beach, wedding chapel, swimming pools, three restaurants, four bars, an international health spa, and one of the largest ballroom on the island. A bustling marina and cultural temples are located nearby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Agoda, Booking.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Fiji Resort And Spa
- Sofitel Fiji Hotel Denarau Island
- Sofitel Denarau Island
- Denarau Island Sofitel
- Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa Denarau Island