“How in the World did this place receive a 2012 Trip Advisor Award??”

Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Hong Kong, China
“How in the World did this place receive a 2012 Trip Advisor Award??”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I waited days before writing this review to make sure I was being fair to the place. Their best asset is their people -- who were friendly. We stayed 7 days, the location is great, the grounds are beautiful, we were very happy they have adult pools because there are a LOT of children at this resort! The beach is clean, but only so-so and the snorkeling there is subpar due to cloudy water. If you want to get onto the internet for any reason like posting Facebook pictures...don't count on being able to, which wouldn't be so bad except for they charge you $40FJD for every 4 hours.

My least favorite part -- there were roaches in our room -- I asked multiple times for a room move, but never got one.

All in all, I would NOT recommend this location, and there are better places to stay in Fiji that offer a much better value for the money (i.e. meals included, internet included, etc)

Room Tip: Try to get one without bugs!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tracy R
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 September 2012
Dear Tracy R,
Thank you for your comments further to your stay with us.
It is my understanding that you have had challenges with internet – we have been working with our vendor in order to address the issues that should not re-occur, and for which I would like to apologize. I also understand that you may not have contacted our IT help desk, as they would have been very eager to not only assist, but also compensate you for the time you could not connect.
With regards to the issue with insects, our records do not show this incident, and I would be very interested to learn more about it, as we take pest control very seriously. Kindly contact me at Frederic.Lebegue@hilton.com.
I am sorry your stay has not been up to your expectations, and sincerely hope that you will visit again and enjoy the facilities and services on offer.

General Manager - Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2012

My partner and I have just returned from a 7 night stay here.
The hotel was convenient for us 1st-time Fiji visitors and was very handy for Denarau Port.
Every member of staff was extremely friendly and welcoming during our stay, however check-in was somewhat confusing. Our check-in person took a swipe of our credit-card to 'store our credit card number' as a deposit and the receipt read *Not For Value*. They confirmed that no amount of FJD$ would be debited even though the amount read FJD $3,761.45. Checking our banking a few days later, we discovered that the same amount HAD been debited! Confusing?
We also enquired if our Hilton E-Upgrade request was granted, but was advised that there were no bigger rooms available even though no system was resourced for the information. I enquired again to make doubly sure and it felt as though the receptionist hadn't even heard of a Hilton E-Upgrade available via the Hilton website!
Check-out was just as eventful when we received our check-out documentation the night before check-out and realised we had been charged for meals whilst we were staying all-inclusive.
The receptionist was going to 'fix this up'. Next morning upon check-out we were presented with the same food bill!!! Our check-out receptionist was easily distracted at least 3 separate times (speaking to other staff & answering phones when we were talking to her); making our check-out a 15 minute ordeal - all this, minus a 'we hope you enjoyed your stay, thank you for choosing Hilton' etc etc.
The food at the restaurant 'NUKU', was exemplary and worthy of high praise, so much so we only ate at the 'Maravi' Asian-inspired restaurant once! Service one night at NUKU was appalling - we walked in at 6pm and requested a table for 6:30pm. We were advised this was fine and our room number and the time was noted on the table plan. After 2 'enquiries', we were eventually seated at the table-near-the-toilets at 7:30pm! :( We then sat at the forgotten, half made-up table (no candle, 1st course cutlery or side-plates) for a further 15 minutes before calling over a waitress to place our order.
Having personally stayed at the Hilton in London and Sydney, I was dismayed as to why it took an hour to seat us whilst we were staring at an empty table for over 30 minutes.
Our extreme frustration, annoyance and severe hunger(!) was quashed by a complimentary cocktail. I'm not sure we'd have waited an hour for a table in a Hilton managed hotel overseas - something to do with 'island-time' maybe?
Our room was a beach-front studio room (all rooms face the beach as behind the resort is derelict land/old building site/ demolished buildings and long grass!).
The studio room was very well appointed with everything from an iron to a PlayStation and was ingeniously laid-out. The room was always clean and tidy after the daily freshen-up; yet a few maintenance issues existed such as broken/cracked shower-head bracket, faulty/broken night-light and drooping towel rail (that you had to lean far over the bath to hang you towels on and that had been moved & fixed twice before; looking at the holes in the wall!). We didn't mention these maintain issues to housekeeping or reception as they were very obvious and assumed they would be taken-care of during our stay - but, they were not.
Walking along the beach (which is BEST at the Hilton), we visited ALL of the hotels on Denarau Island (Sofitel, Sheraton, Raddison etc). The Hiltons design concept of its rooms and common areas is far superior to that of the other hotels yet lacks an impressive reception area (imagine colonial barn).
Our check-out documentation indicated that we could complete a questionnaire and if we were not going to give a '10', that we should have reception fix any issue; yet we were given no opportunity to complete one?
Apart from the few glitches, we had a great time in Fiji and would certainly return to the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.

Room Tip: Rooms in the '20's are close to the pool & restaurant area which saves you calling for a...
Dear BathMatt74,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a thorough review of your stay.
It is my understanding that you have had an overall enjoyable stay, however, it is with great interest that I read your comments about the very unfortunate situations you had to go through.
I would first like to apologize for the inconvenience they have caused. Your comments have been taken very seriously, and used in our on-going training in order to enhance customer service. I can also assure you that the series of incident you have gone through is very unusual and certainly not portray our usual standards of service.
A clarification reg. the survey: it is an on-line survey that is sent to a number of guests, but not 100% of the guests.
I really hope that you will give us another chance to experience the seamless service that we endeavour to achieve on a daily basis, and look very much forward to your return.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 September 2012

i stayed one night in Hilton and i enjoyed it very much. The room was clean, new and comfortable. And the staffs were very nice. The room view was great because our room precisely was facing the pool (the adult-only one). The pool looked exactly the same as the photo. However, there is a small issue with the room. I could walk through to the room next to me as the balcony of the two rooms linked with each other ==".The breakfast was great. I love this hotel and will definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor with a nicer view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
FredericLebegue, General Manager at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Dear Pretty F,
Thank you very much for choosing us for your short stay in Denarau. I am of course glad that everything was to your liking.
From your description of the balcony of the room, it looks like a divider blind is missing, which we will address very promptly.
We look forward to having you back, hopefully for a longer stay.

London
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here.

Staff really tried to make me feel very welcome and were quite efficient in all my interactions with them.

The room was very large and very comfortable with the usual Hilton standard issue toiletries. The views are nice and the internet connection very fast. I had a small issue with my fire alarm beeping when I arrived but it was very efficiently dealt with as soon as I reported it.

I would have liked power outlets near the bed rather than the other side of the room and it would have also been convenient if there were a master switch for all the lights. There are 10+ switches for lights which is a bit confusing. However these are design/ architect issues which are hard to change at this stage. And they were only minor inconveniences.

I would have also liked to see wifi more widely available. It's only available in the least frequented restaurant of the resort which in the days of ipads and iphones needs to be improved upon. I'd have expected it in all the rooms and public areas.

I tried the spa and the massage treatment was exactly as I expected it: well trained people, nice environment. Far from the best massage I've had, more relaxing than therapeutic but I didn't think it would be anything different to that in Fiji.

The restaurants were great both for breakfast (excellent buffet with made to order omelettes) and for dinner.

And I liked the fact that one of the pools is designated as adults only as there can be more than a few children splashing around in the other one.

All in all a very enjoyable stay other than the minor design issues in the room and the limited wifi.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear Cyba,
Many thanks for your review of your stay at the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton.
It was indeed noted and appreciated to read that it is the team that made the difference. Just a note on the wi fi coverage – we are currently working towards coverage for the whole resort.
The team and I look forward to your return to Fiji.

Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We decided to take a winter break in Fiji as we were attracted by how close it is to Australia, giving us the chance of warmer weather without a long haul flight. We chose to stay at Port Denarau as we would be in the resort quickly and able to maximize our time there (4 nights). We understood we wouldn't have the white sands and blue sea and in fact were impressed by how nicely the sea front was set out, with lawns and plenty of sun beds all along the front of the Hilton.
Our welcome at the hotel was very warm - Ariva took us to our room and really made us feel welcome and, it may sound corny, but he made you feel loved! This was so true I think of everyone we met during our stay. The welcome was always warm, offers of help were made, taxi drivers gave us IOUs for trips (which we paid), the Fijians will bring me back to Fiji.
Anyway, our accommodation - better than I expected after reading some reviews. Our room was clean and well presented and remained so all through our stay. We had a beautiful view from our seafront balcony and I found the studio room more than large enough and loved the bathroom and the king sized bed. We bought wine duty free which we kept in the bar fridge so could enjoy a bottle at leisure whenever we wanted.
The hotel offered adults only pool and breakfast dining - fantastic. We enjoyed our breakfasts with direct sea views and no noise or stress. It wasn't school holidays and as we travel as a couple I would avoid those times, but I can see Fiji is perfect for kids.
We loved the pool area, loads of sun beds/day beds, shade from sun and again, peace and quiet. We ate in the noodle restaurant one evening and had a fantastic meal, which I think was worth the price. My only slight gripes about the whole stay were 1) we were charged for breakfast on the first day and told we had to bring along our confirmation slip to reception to prove it was in our package. As we had already handed in our confirmation details to them on checking in I am pleased to say I had a second copy and could clear up the matter, but if they had the evidence already, why did I need to fuss about with it? 2) the bar area on the beach front was nice but really could do with expanding to deal with the numbers who want to sit and enjoy a few sundowners, plus have more staff specifically to deal with the bar area and provide service. I was amazed how hard it was to spend my money there sometimes!
Overall though, I loved it and will put the Hilton on my list to go back. When we explored other resorts in PD they looked overcrowded and no space between rooms. I'd rather have my 5 minute walk room - pool and enjoy the space & peace that results.

4 Thank SharkAustralia
Dear SharkAustralia,
Thank you very much for choosing the Fiji Beach Resort & Spa Managed by Hilton for your first stay in Fiji.
It was rewarding for the team to read that they have been a key element in the success of your vacation. I am sorry to read about the unfortunate situations you had to go through. Your feedback was indeed shared with the respective team in order to perform additional training and avoid reoccurrence of a similar incident.
Thank you again for your comments – we look forward to welcoming you back many times to Fiji.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We only stayed two nights on way back from a more remote resort to have a look at Denauru and were pleasantly surprised. The two bedroom beachfront apartment was spacious, clean and comfortable, with awesome views out over the water and pools were terrific, albeit a bit shallow. Buffet breakfast at Nuku was great, everything you could want, well cooked and terrific view. Unfortunately only meal we had at Maruvu was a mixed bag. Entrees were good, main courses virtually inedible.
If you are only looking for somewhere to sit in the sun around a pool, this is as good, if not better than most. If looking to experience Fiji and its culture, this is not the place, it could be anywhere.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Trevor W
Dear Trevor W,
Many thanks for posting your review. It was great to read that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
I am sorry to learn about your experience in Maravu. We have been getting very positive comments about the outlet, especially since the menu has been completely revamped. I do trust that you have expressed your concerns on the spot and that the dish was changed.
We look forward to your return to Fiji.

Auckland
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We're just back from 8 days at this hotel. My husband has been to fiji over 50 times for work in past 6 or 7 years. This is about my 15th visit and 3rd time to the Hilton. Denarau is a great place for those with young children, close to the airport, and lots of focus on families. Several Denarau resorts claim to be 5 star but they are not the equivalent of a 5* international hotel. Service in Fiji is generally very friendly but slow and unsophisticated - but if you want sophistication, go somewhere else, the island style and pace is part of the charm even if it can be frustrating. The staff are also very lowly paid, the resort here must make a killing. Denarau is pricey in general but this resort is the most expensive. But it does have most of the best rooms on the island, many of the others are at least a little tired (Sheraton has recently done a major but not complete reburb of all rooms).
They were opening their new kids club at the Hilton this week (30 August 2012) so can't report on that, it sounded really good though. We have a toddler who had an absolute ball. All kids meals were free between certain times and babysitting is cheap (but please tip and feed these poorly paid, lovely women). Activities staff keep kids busy for much of the day with fish feeding, crab/frog races, bowling, water polo... Food was generally pretty good for Denarau. Our adjoining rooms were perfect with good sized bathroom and lounge and small kitchen.

Room Tip: If you have a small child, make sure you are reserved a downstairs room (extra fee to confirm this...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank outoftok
Dear outoftok,
Thank you very much for your review of the services and facilities of the resort.
The team and I are thrilled that you have had a very enjoyable stay and look forward to your 4th visit to the Hilton.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!