“Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We saved up hard for our first holiday. We traveled from Australia on the midnight flight and arrived at the hotel at 5am. Check-in wasn't until 3pm. Jet lagged and tired the staff invited us to have breakfast and rest in the pool area until our room was ready.

We had breakfast and only had to wait 4 hours and our room was ready, we were able to go in and rest well before proper check in time. This was an incredible gesture that set the tone for the rest of the trip.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly, helpful, and ironically the only rude people I came across were other holiday goers.

Transportation to and from the hotel is done with ease, and is organised for you. The Room was very clean, and apart from the internet being down for 2 days (which happens) I couldn't fault it

The food was what you would expect from Fiji, and was generally in the price range for this class of hotel.

I had an amazing time and they made my GF whom is a nervous passenger/traveler feel at home, and if I go back to FIJI I would Definatley stay again, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room and it was quite excellent for couples travelling that don't wan...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin M
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 19 May 2013
Bula Kevin M
Thank you for commenting on trip advisor after your recent visit to our Resort. We appreciated reading your kind comments and always get inspired by customers awarding us 5 stars.
I was pleased to read that we were able to facilitate an early checkin - we always try to offer this to our early arrivals but clearly our ability to do so simply reflects the availability of clean rooms. At peak times this can be impossible and so as we head into Fiji's peak period we recommend booking your room the night before you arrive in order to guarantee walking straight into a room if you are expecting to arrive at the property very early in the morning. Kevin we hope you and your GF will return to our corner of paradise soon. Vinaka Vakalevu, Gerard Knight General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (897)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Mosman, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We recently returned from 8 days at the Radisson Blu where we traveled with our 2 year old son. Overall the hotel was great for families as it had option of an apartment with kitchenette, a great pool for toddlers and due to the location you could travel easily to and from the airport. Unfortunately however the food was a real let down. Based on our experience here are some tips for future travelers.

1. As mentioned great for kids - the pool areas are set up well if you have young children. There is an adults only pool but as so many families stay here I would be disappointed if I stayed here as a couple.

2. Breakfast was really average - while there was plenty of choice the quality of food was not as we've experienced in other family friendly resorts. Most mornings there was not enough food in the popular areas (like eggs and bacon) so people were constantly waiting around, there was one person making coffees (which were really good) but it often meant a long wait, the toasters didn't toast properly so everyone would put their food through 2-3 times which was just inefficient, and for a family friendly resort they didn't offer any plastic or smaller utensils - which in most other resorts designed for families are provided. While these are all small things cumulatively breakfast wasn't as good as the other elements of the hotel.

3. The restaurants onsite - the Watercourt Asian was great and would recommend this. Unfortunately however the rest are pretty average. We ate at Cross which we were disappointed with, we sat outside in the adults only part which is directly next to the outside buffet seating where the fire dancers and band played, so while we had jazz coming out our speakers the band was as loud so it felt like a more expensive meal in the buffet seating, also while the food looked good it didn't taste that great. We ate at other resorts like 'Flying Fish' at Sheraton which was incredible, as was 'V' at Sofitel and both outdid Cross by a long way. The pool side menu is also really limited and doesn't offer many healthy choices for kids which was a shame.

4. The babysitting was great - we used the babysitting service reluctantly at first but had a really positive experience so used it a number of times. The kids club has some great activities although the kids club itself is very small with only one climbing piece of equipment for kids.

Overall we did have a great stay, we were just let down by the dining experience but would recommend the resort to others who want to stay as a family, we would also come back but would eat elsewhere and wouldn't get breakfast.

2 Thank Danielle B
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Greetings from Fiji Danielle B

Thank you for taking the time to write such an in- depth review of our resort for other Tripadvisor members. I certainly read your comments carefully and will pass on some of your good suggestions to my Management team for action.

It seems that you were very happy with the resort on the whole and thank you for recommending it to others. Rather than going through your points about our Food & Beverage outlets individually I will just let you know that I have passed on your comments to our Director of Food & Beverage, who can use the information to improve our service to guests.

We would love to welcome you back in the future and we appreciate you choosing us as your holiday destination.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 28 April 2013

There was nothing wrong with this hotel, the room was nice, the pool was big and the food was good. However it wasn't the holiday we were looking for. Denarau is a string of 5 star hotels which are all lovely but can be found anywhere in the world. There was nothing traditionally Fijian about this place. In a way the experience was similar to the Gold Cost or Bali hotels. For some families it is prefect.

I wasn't very impressed by the cleanliness or service at the restaurant or pool bar eating area.

It was a good stop-over on our way out to an island and the breakfast was great. If you are looking for beaches head straight to an island.

Room Tip: we had a garden view room with a queen bed and sofa bed for our son. It was good for the 2 night st...
1 Thank Emmaaustin
Bula Emmaaustin

We appreciate your time to write a constructive review on our property. We were obviously a little disappointed that your stay with us wasn't the type of holiday you were looking for but I am glad that you found nothing to fault in the actual resort itself.

Yes, you are right. The Fijian islands are beautiful and many of our guests combine both experiences into one holiday. I hope you had a fantastic time out on an island and you have many happy memories of your time in Fiji.

Vinaka and Kind Regards

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Very disappointed in this resort to say the least.i expressed this and the resort after 30+ days has had no follow up with me, also noted a 100% Radisson guarantee or money back plaque on the reception desk lol yer right!.
Well lets explain my experience and why I feel the way I do. I've been to Fiji over 40 times so know the place well and what a family would expect as I've been to many resorts.
We arrived to RB (Radisson Blue) as a stop over on the way to the airport (1/2 hr drive tp air port nice and handy we thought) after a great 20day holiday further around the coast at the Fijian Shangrala .
We arrived at 2 pm pre paid our 1 nights stay and checked in. Well the arrival was great, typical Fiji big bulas, smiles and a great welcome. We had our nanny (Fijian) with us and we all did the booking in with again all smiles and friendly.
The porter took our bags and off he went and we were left aimless to find our room. When asking directions it's down the steps and towards the end! At this point they have your credit card and that's how it started, got your money said bula now bugger off! Now we felt little lost but speaking Fijian, spending so much time in Fiji was not that worried.
We went down the steps on the way to the room no bula from any staff (passed at least 6) and any ones who's been to Fiji knows that's not normal.... Found the room after ten minutes and even beat our bags (reason for that is porter would not have got a possible tip if he got the b4 us)
Well the rooms ok, neat, clean and tidy so back to a good start :).
So the young fella wants to explore, so us him and the nanny venture again no one says bula and the staff just look aimless with no welcome home feeling Fiji resorts are known for.
We find kids club, a stuffy room no bigger than my lounge room at home with kids playing and after 5 or ten minutes we are acknowledged. Mind you no room to swing a cat so we feel like fools just standing there. The lady comes over and we question what's here for the kids, she hands us a sheet of activities and charges by pens 25% of it after I asked what's this and that...lol half the stuff was wrong times or not on. Again that's Fiji! So my wife, nanny, son and I leave and go explore. I said to my wife not a very big or friendly place, in sorta reminds me of a 4star at home lol, not Fiji.
The son wants to go back to kids club as his bored to play with the kids so the nanny takes him and off we go to find a bar. Get to the main bar after 5minutes standing there with no service leave to find another beach side. Again 5 minutes to get served we laugh and grab a drink and order a snack. Well fish and chips 45 minutes lol. We start eating and it's crap to say the least, we pushed it aside I look at my wife she looks at me and at the same time we both said well what a slow, unfriendly dump. Wonder what our sons up to. So we call the nanny, she says there in the room, our son got bored after 5 minutes at kids club and the staff there are not so friendly. We both again looked at each other and said well us ok but our sons here for fun and if his going to be bored in a room lets check out. So I did!
We go to the room to pack and safe wont open! That's the icing on the cake, my wife calls duty manager and she says ill be there later I'm with a guest! What! So another 1/2 hr she comes and can't open it so called maintenance, another ten minutes they come and fix it so we get to check out yey! Mind you all this time our 7year olds standing at the door wanting to go home!
Check out they ask why, I said nicely its just not for us, please give me the bill and ill pay and go. They keep pushing with mangers questioning why. So I lost the plot, I was going to just go, write a review and that's that! Well I told them why so they apologized did not offer to discount for our 3-4 hour trip even though a sign saying guarantee in front of me we just got in the car and headed back to coral coast. I called the resort we were at, they had a new room ready by the time we arrived and was great! I was so impressed the next morning I seen management at Shangrala and stayed a further 14 days... Never again will I go to RB Fiji and because I've had no apology or follow up I may never stay in a RB ELSE WHERE IN MY TRAVELS good luck if you plan to stay here. Expect big smiles at the front of house, slack service at bars and restaurants, boring compared to the so many other resorts in Fiji that are way better and give you a Fijian experience ! Vinaka RB Denarau for a very bad experience.

Room Tip: Pool side and not ground floor as security could be a big concern
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Holland_Clan
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Holland_Clan

Let me start start by making the apology you have been waiting for. I am terribly sorry that its taken so long to say this to you but clearly you were only with us for a few minutes and left. Unfortunately I was unaware of your concerns until I read them on Trip Advisor.

Anyone reading our guests trip advisor comments will know that the Radisson Blu team are focused on delivering warm Fijian hospitality from the moment our guests arrive to the time they have to say farewell. Clearly despite all our training and the Fijians natural flare for hospitality, at the moment you arrived something didn't work the way it should and we all send apologies for this.

Our kids club is purely a room for signing up - the kids roam and play in the gardens, on the beach and around what we call "creative corner" down by the infant pool and I assure you that we are famous for kids that don't want to leave. So while you saw an area you thought was small the kids find endless entertainment and most importantly Mums and Dads gain hours and hours of freedom.

I am as disappointed as you are that your welcome was less than perfect and simply wish that you had asked to speak with me before leaving, I would have liked the opportunity to try and find a solution to your concerns and made your stay memorable for very different reasons.

We hope that your next venue made your time in Fiji relaxing and less stressful.

Kind regards, Gerard Knight.
Hinsdale, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2013

This hotel is feeling its age - the air conditioning in my room barely worked despite constant complaints to the front desk and the gym and kids center are TINY. Breakfast was very, very crowded. Hotel felt old and slightly run down. Refused late check out of even one hour ( check out time is 11) . Lunch buffet was pathetic. Only bright spot were the staff who were all very nice.,

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Bula Terry K
Thank you for reviewing your stay at our property on Trip Advisor. I know being here as part of a conference with minimal time to really use the facilities can be difficult, with so many others enjoying their holiday here. We were disappointed that the property felt old as its the newest resort on Denarau and just five and a half years young. We are focussed on keeping the Resort in great shape and obviously need to keep this top of mind in the year ahead. The kids tend not to spend much time in the room you saw (start and finish only) and the gym whilst small has been rated well by the guests that choose to use it (generally not enough to warrant more space).
We hope the trip back to the US went well and hope further that you might get to return one day with more time to relax. Vinaka Vakalevu, Gerard Knight General Manager.
Mildura, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Our first day at the resort was amazing, especially the gardens and pools. The beach was a dark grey sort of colour but so soft on your feet. I loved swimming at the beach! the room was clean and nice. The restaurants were expensive so we couldn't eat there, we went to the Denarau port to buy groceries which was really good. Then the cyclone came and we were confined to our rooms and the Fiji people went door to door risking their own safety to give all of their guests dinner. The next day they cleaned up so quickly it amazed me. This resort is so beautiful I would go back for sure! It looked better than any other resort in Denarau so im happy I picked it!

Room Tip: The cheapest room we got was good for sure! neat, clean, tidy. The bathroom was really nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear chook22

Well, you certainly picked an interesting time to visit Fiji - the same time that Cyclone Evan visited!
Thanks for your great review despite having your holiday interrupted by a cyclone - you obviously managed to see something of our resort before lock- down. You will be pleased to know that we returned to full operation very quickly and the gardens are as beautiful and lush as ever. We have our fantastic gardening team to thank for that.

We would be delighted to welcome you back again to our resort and hopefully offer you some beautiful Fiji tropical weather.

Vinaka Vakalevu

Sydney
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Just got back from Radisson after staying there twice before and I must say that the staff seem to have got more attentive and 'fiji time' seems to be a thing of the past ( not sure if this is a good or bad thing !). We enjoyed the 'a-la carte' menu at the Blu restaurant which was surprisingly good - last time we thought the buffet at this restaurant a little ordinary. And yes we saw the GM every day walking around the property.. so this does show that the resort is well looked after. The rooms were made up beautifully with fresh flowers most days. The duck race was a great idea to raise money for the local school and then the visit to the school the next day was a fantastic new thing - unfortunately I was on 'fiji time' that day and missed it !!! Sachin did a beautiful job on my daughters braids and it was lovely to be greeted with "welcome back' by so many of the staff. This is the resort to go to if you have children..... If they don't go to kids club there is plenty of opportunities for the children to meet in the pool and make friends with all ages. I must say also that I have recommended sand toys in the past but I also think balls or float devices seem to be popular this year with all the children so take these along !
Thank-you to all the staff for making our time there memorable again.... just in the process of booking for next year :)

Room Tip: We have had the guest room each time we have stayed which is great for the three of us. I would only...
Bula Sharpette

What a fantastic recommendation of our resort - we are so pleased that your third stay was just as great, if not better, than your first!

It is also great to read that you have actually seen an improvement in service around the property, all still with that Fijian welcome. Please do say Hello to me if and when you return for a fourth visit - I would be delighted to meet you when I am doing my daily rounds of our grounds.

Please see previous responses to Tripadvisor comments regarding our Adopt-a-School Programme. A must- do for your next visit and a great community initiative to help Fijian school children!

Vinaka Vakalevu

4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,391 reviews
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!