“We didn't want to leave :-(”

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
Melbourne, Australia
“We didn't want to leave :-(”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our family of five have just returned home after spending 8 fabulous nights at Radisson Blu. This was our first visit to Fiji and will not be our last! Where do I begin other than to say we loved it from day 1? Our kids aged 10, 8 & 7 all found plenty to keep them busy, with our usually shy 8 yr old desperate to be back at the resort by 7pm every night to join in kids club activities (gecko & frog hunting a favourite, closely followed by the torch lighting ceremony). The staff are all so genuinely friendly & go out of their way to encourage all kids to join in the fun around the resort.

The only negative of the entire visit was nothing to do with Radisson Blu resort but is worth mentioning to prepare/warn future guests. We caught the West Bus bus in to see Nadi & literally the minute we stepped off the bus we were approached either side by two men trying to walk in step with us & trying to get us to visit their souvenir shop. We had an uneasy feeling & they followed us down the street continually trying to talk to us. As we turned the corner we stumbled across their shop & made the mistake of entering. To cut a long story short we played right into their hands & bought things just to get away from them. After only another ten or so steps along we were then approached by yet another person forcefully telling us the same things & trying to get us to go to their market... Put it down to being naive travelers but we were simply not expecting it. Had we known to expect it we would have been prepared & handled the situation differently. For this reason we couldn't get out of Nadi fast enough!

On a more positive note, with the resort a handy short walking distance to Port Denarau it is a great place to stay as a base for island & village day trips.

Thanks Radisson Blu staff for an overall fantastic holiday, we truly did not want to leave & are already planning our next visit!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank BRRR-chasing_the_sun
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Bula BRRR-chasing_the_sun

It was great to read that you are already planning your next visit to Fiji and I am so pleased that we helped with making your family holiday a memorable one. We often have little ones who have withdrawal symptoms after leaving us!

Thanks so much for the tip on shopkeepers in Nadi. Nadi town in general is not at all threatening and you are still welcomed with a warm bula by most. However, I often inform guests that this practice can occur and tourists just need to say "no" or avoid entering their shops at all. Visitors must be aware that the main shopping street is very typical of a developing nation's and should be embraced as such.

See you all again soon in our little piece of paradise!

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed at the 'Rad Blu' for 7 nights. Clean, comfortable accommodation and a great choice of amenities. Met our expectations and the staff were very friendly. Because were were an 'older' family (my son is 14yrs) we were perhaps less enamored towards some of the family activities like having a noisy Fijian band playing at breakfast, when all we wanted was some peace and quiet. Also, I was looking forward to the water-sports and found that the Catamarans were in need of some TLC. There was only one windsurfing rig shared between Rad Blu and Sofitel and even that was old and in really poor condition. The one day that we did get some wind I tried to use the windsurfer but it had already been nabbed by another like-minded person at The Sofitel. So, there is a little bit of misrepresentation here re the water sports on offer. If they say that they offer windsurfing then they should have at least one modern, well maintained windsurfer available at all times. So, that would probably prevent me staying at Rad Blu again, which is a shame 'cos the general facilities, staff etc are great and we had no complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Bula KiwiPragmatist

Thanks for your feedback on your stay with us and in particular your comments on our non-motorised water sports. We can only improve our service by hearing from guests about problems encountered. I will certainly investigate and fix the problem after talking to the company that operate the equipment.

I do hope that as you had an enjoyable stay and found our staff to be very friendly that you would consider returning to Radisson Blu again. I'm sure that when you return you will again have no complaints!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Denarau, we'll welcome to the Gold Coast in Fiji , and I live on the Gold Coast lol...this island is full of ignorant guests, I don't know why but it does rub off on the staff most staff see you as a bother (not all). Rooms clean and nice, beach poor, over priced, kids club adv at best. Food is medium, I just think there is so many nicer places to stay in Fiji you are wasting your money. On a positive it's clean and a lot like the Gold Coast Australia so I'm sure if your a nervous traveler you'll feel ok here.
Give here a 6/10. We and several friends even recently we're talking agree go to coral coast and wasted our money here, I fact a few weeks back friends of ours did what we did and checked out.

Room Tip: Security concerns with ground floor
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Holland_Clan
Dear Holland_Clan

Thank you for the time taken to write a review of our property here on Denarau.

I must however be completely honest with you and say that I am a little bemused by your comments on our resort and Denarau as a whole. I note that you stayed with us in April 2013 and did not have a pleasant stay either at the resort or on Denarau. I'm sure that we made mistakes and I believe that I apologised at the time. I know we are not perfect. However, as you know Fiji so well I am a little confused as to why you chose Denarau as a holiday location again when you felt "ripped off". I am never happy to hear of a guest not enjoying their stay with us but I also have to be realistic in the fact that Denarau and Radisson Blu's location do not suit everybody, as would be the case with any holiday destination in the world.

I do apologise again for your time with us and genuinely hope that your next destination made your time in Fiji relaxing. Fijians really are the most hospitable people in the world.

Woodway, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

This is our second night here and we are severely disappointed... I really hate that we are booked through Sunday. We may switch hotels. We walked into a room that had not been thoroughly cleaned (empty bottles in fridge, dirty dishes) after waiting hours for it to be ready. The staff is SUPER friendly to disguise their part in the play that is the radisson sham. The owners have cut costs everywhere possible, and it shows. The perks of poolside service are a joke when it takes an hour to get a drink or snack, if you get it at all.
They DO have happy hour, but if you order drinks 5 minutes before it ends you can be sure that they will not give you the discount and instead require you to jump through many hoops to get your bill corrected.
We have traveled all over the world, including places in the South Pacific such as Tahiti and New Caledonia, but never have we felt so nickel and dimes, cheated, and pretty much regretful that we spent so much of our precious time and money in a place that doesn't deserve any of it.
This is only our second day at the radisson, but rest assured that I will update when our stay is finished with all the good and bad. I just wanted to add this review for consideration in the meantime.
Also, if you have the choice between Tahiti and Fiji, I can already tell you that Tahiti is the better choice. You never have to search for beautiful scenery beaches or beauty in general, whereas in Fiji the mainland is quite boring and the beach at the radisson in particular is nothing more special than you see in many parts of the world.
Again, I will update at the end of the trip.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Cmwings31
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Bula Cmwings31

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor but as you are still in house I am sorry we didn't get to talk through your concerns before you posted them or meet at GMs cocktails on Wednesday evening. I am not quite sure who you are but encourage you to seek me out at the front desk so we can look at your concerns properly. No excuses for putting you in a room before it was properly cleaned, perhaps we were rushing to get you into a room early - just not sure but still not good enough on our part so apologise sincerely. In regards to nickel and dimeing again we would love to better understand this suggestion. We are one of very few hotels offering free wifi, free non powered water sports and 50% off children's meals but clearly you have reminded me that we need to better synchronise the watches of the bar staff. We have no intent to nickel and dime anyone - our focus is providing memorable holidays in paradise. I hope the team and I can prove this to you in the coming days and everyone can read a more favourable review after your departure.

Warm Fijian regards in the meantime.

Coolum Beach, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We are a family of 5 who spent 3 nights here in a 1 bedroom garden suite, before flying back home to Australia. It was the perfect end to a 3 week break in Fiji.
Lots of options to purchase different dinners, from pizzas, fish and chips, to gournet chinese. including breakfast is a must into your package deal.
Our kids didnt use the kids club they were happy to swim in the pools all day and joined in the free activites going around. we (mum and dad) enjoyed the swim up bar. Our room was clean and excellent with a kitchen and laundry which was great.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
Our only negative would be that they charged to use the kids club, not that we used this, but if it was free we probably would have.
We will be back! BULA, Vinaka.

Room Tip: Definately the suites for the kitchen and laundry when travelling with young children. Garden suite...
1 Thank JessSlatter
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Bula JessSlatter

I'm so pleased that you finished your holiday in Fiji on a high at Radisson Blu. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your great review of our property.

You obviously managed to sample most of our food and beverage outlets and am glad that you found them satisfactory. We look forward to seeing you return to us - I have a feeling it may be sooner rather than later!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Back again after a cheap deal to another hotel here was disastrous so we called in for a day trip here and one of the staff gave us an awesome deal so we came back for only 2 short days. Ended up I picked a room with no washing machine and the hotels laundromat is charged per item and by this stage we had a weeks worth so the lovely staff Melene and Jo 'Blow' organised a local to do our laundry for us! (at a cost of course) So helpful.The staff all remembered us from our previous trip. My daughter had an accident and split her leg open, lucky for us there was a doctor staying also who helped patch her up but the staff were pretty good first aid wise for such a big gash! All of the staff kept coming to check on her the next day too. Yet again, laughs with all the staff, excellent facilities, friendly staff who go above and beyond yet get paid very little and just love life. We even got a note from the gm and a bottle of bubbly for being returning guests.
Don't worry, after experiencing another resort which we thought all Fijian accommodation would be quite similar, we definitely will not be trading the Radisson in for anymore cheap deals!!
Met some lovely people here again, kids made friends as usual.
May probably isn't the best time to go though unless you don't mind cold water-the beach was warmer than pools! Weather was still very warm though and May is their winter.

1 Thank kamsav
Bula kamsav

Warm greetings from Fiji! I was delighted to read your positive review on Radisson Blu - I'm so glad we were able to compensate for your disastrous stay at another hotel!

It certainly sounds as if you have made some great friends in our friendly bunch here at the hotel. I'm pleased that you were made to feel so welcome.

Please don't trade is for any other cheap deals and we look forward to welcoming you back again!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First time in Fiji, service here fantastic, look out for Rocko he sang us a song on our last day and his smile is so warming and genuine. Make sure you track him down and say hello. Thanks for a great time Radisson! Your staff are terrific

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank anotherholiday y
Dear anotherholiday y

I'm so pleased you had an amazing time with us here on Denarau and that we met every expectation. Yes, we all agree that Roko is a superstar as are all the concierge team!

See you next time you visit Fiji and I will pass on your wonderful comments to Roko.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denarau Island
Sheraton Denarau Villas
Sheraton Denarau Villas
#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!