“Honeymoon nice room but overpriced and too many kids”

Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Denarau Island
nellabelle02
“Honeymoon nice room but overpriced and too many kids”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This resort is VERY kid/family based which I could NOT tell from the website or else I wouldn't have booked there. The "lazy river" pool was closed and the adult pool did not have access to the swim up bar (which seems weird that the bar was attached to the family pool.) There were kids EVERYWHERE and a lot of activities for them. Since we were there on our honeymoon it felt a little out of place, we were glad we only stayed ONE night. The food was NOTHING special (chicken wings were teeny tiny) and very overpriced dinner in our opinion. Next time we will stay somewhere else for sure.
Best thing about it was the clean rooms w/ ac.

3 Thank nellabelle02
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Bula nellabelle02

Firstly, congratulations on your recent marriage. I do hope that you had a wonderful honeymoon in Fiji and have left with some amazing holiday memories.

I was a little disappointed to read your review as we always try to ensure that our guests leave wanting to come back again! Yes, we are unashamedly popular with families - you just need to read our many Tripadvisor comments to see this, we have never hidden this fact. However, we do receive many positive comments from solo and couples staying with us.

Could I just clarify a couple of issues you raised please just for future guests reference. We have never had a pool closed and don't have a "lazy river" pool. Perhaps you mean the lagoon water feature....Our swim up bar is indeed in the family area, deliberately located there in order to not disturb the peace and tranquility of the Adults Only pool. We offer poolside service for those wishing to order food and drink.

Kind Regards

Gerard Knight General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a garden terrace room at the end of our island hopping holiday. The resort is quite new and very lovely. The rooms and bathrooms were very spacious and clean. It's very family friendly, with a large pool and lots of kids activities, however, there is an adults only pool as well, where staff will come around and take drink orders, seeing as the pool bar is located in the main pool. It has the best breakfast buffet ever! We also ate at Cross, which was an excellent meal. We had a 2 hour couples treatment in the beautiful spa, which was reasonably priced, and the products they use are lovely. The standout of the resort for us though were the musicians who sang and played guitar, they played us a Bula welcome song and took people's requests whilst dining at Cross- they are amazing! We would have eaten at Cross again just to listen to them. All the other staff were fantastic by put these guys were our favourites!

The Bula bus stops just outside and can take you to any of the other Denarau resorts or the marina. It's about 20 minutes in a cab from the airport. We would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank Rhiannon177
Dear Rhiannon177

It sounds as if you had a wonderful time at Radisson Blu - I do hope that your island hopping holiday was amazing as well. Fiji really is a great tourist destination! And thanks for your kind recommendation of our property.

I'm so pleased that you found the tranquility of our Adults Only pool, Cross restaurant and our breakfast buffet to be a winning combination. I am particularly delighted that you enjoyed our musicians who perform in various places throughout our resort.

Vinaka Vakalevu, thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Gold coast
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

I had stayed here back in 2011 for one night and really enjoyed it so this holiday I thought I'd do the same and book for the night we arrive in nadi and be close to the marina the next day to go out to the islands. WRONG choice!! This place has changed! We had prepaid our accomodation in a lagoon suite before we arrived and I had a print out at hand on arrival. The rude receptionist took it from me and I said that it was already paid for with breakfast and she just nodded and sent me on my way with the bell boy. We walked for 10 mins to our room, firstly he took us to a diff room, he got confused and wondered why the key didnt work and had to find out what room we were meant to be in. Finally we found our room but ther was a maintenance man fixing the lock in the door! That was reassuring! Our bags didnt arrive for another 30mins while the maitanance man was still playing with the door. All we wanted to do was have a swim, it was around 9pm. We finally got in the pool to be told we can't swim in it! But there was other people (drunk and disgusting) were in there! We ended up going back to our room to order room service. The food was over an hour late, food was stone cold and soggy and we paid $150 fijian for it! We tried doing some washing and the washer and drier constantly stopped mid cycle and I had to stand there and hold the door to the drier to work!
The breakfast the next morning that we had paid for was the worst buffet I had seen in my life! After getting attacked by the rude waitress as we approached the restsurant she jumped down our throats asking "what room number" the food was dry, cold, tasteless , covered with flies it was soo bad we didnt eat. Checkout was worse as we once again explained we had prepaid this and they had no reference to it and we spent 30 mins going back and forth with this issue whilst stressing we were going to miss our transfer to the marina to get the boat out to tokoriki island. This was the worst start to our fiji holiday and we will NEVER stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank FIJILUVER
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Fijiluver

Thank you for choosing to return to our property after your stay in in 2011 but "oh dear" where to start in my response? Whe have definitely changed since your last stay, in general we have increased our sevice levels and our focus on training to deliver amazing holiday memories. You short visit however proves that we are far from perfect with plenty of room for improvement. We sincerely apologise for a number of poor exchanges with the team, the maintenance issues then all combined with some bad luck.
In response we haven't taken pre-payments on our brand website for some time (we have just started again) so am guessing this was a misunderstanding. We do have a policy of closing the pools at 10pm for safety reasons and suggest someone that had had too much to drink (often from adjoining resorts, tours or the marina) was giving our security team a tough and worrying time. In regard to in-room dining that was not up to your expectations, I would have expected one of my management team to remove this from the account on departure and if this didnt occur please contact me personally.

We all remain very apologetic that we didn't start your holiday off the way we do for many other visitors and sincerely hope that your island stay was magnificent.

Vinaka Vakalevu

Gerard Knight. General Manager.
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 May 2014

So much fit into a very well designed hotel! LOVED the adult pool area, looks like a lagoon enclosed from the rest of the facilites. Ate at Cross - wow! Food was amazing. And for fine dining the portions were pretty decent! Great views of the sunset!

2 Thank Kesh08
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear kesh08

Thank you for your Tripadvisor review and high rating of our resort here in Fiji. We appreciate it! It certainly sounds as if you had a relaxing time enjoying our Adults Only area and dining at Cross restaurant. Glad you caught a beautiful Fijian sunset or two!

Vinaka Vakalevu and thanks for choosing to stay with us. I hope we may be able to welcome you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

From start to finish, excellence was found at every restaurant, staff member, cleaning staff and especially the activities team.
The activities team Called the "banana's", they looked after and cared for our group of 8 kids between our 3 families with the care and special treatment that our kids seemed to be their own. If you have kids, get to know Harry and Simon banana, they are what made our trip special and they will be talked about for years to come.
This was our second trip and we will all be back again.
From Lachlan, Jayden, Joshua, William,Mia, Miranda, Mikayla and Orlando Banana's.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ksuff
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Banana Families!

Harry and Simon say a big Bula to Lachlan, Jayden, Joshua, William, Mia, Miranda, Mikayla and Orlando! I'm so pleased you found "excellence" in every restaurant, staff member, cleaning staff and of course the activities team. Sounds like you had a memorable holiday....

We thank you for your very complimentary review and look forward to seeing you visit us again!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We travelled with our three kids aged 9, 8 and 4 back to the Radisson after being there immediately after the 2012 cyclone. Our first experience there was great so we decided to go back - this time it was even better. The key to the relaxing break for all of us was that the kids were having a great time - and they did. There were more (free) activities for the kids to participate in each day which meant they could choose between staying in the pool, playing on the water slide, trying some water polo or volleyball, egg tossing, watermelon chopping, coconut bowling, and these we're all available to everyone. The complimentary water sports meant that our eldest took the chance to try something new and really enjoyed it. Last time we took advantage of the great kids club but this time we only used it once for a special dinner as the kids were at the age that they had a great time and let us relax as well. Clean, generous rooms, lovely caring staff and warm weather - vinaka vakalevu!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Almarty
Dear Almarty

We thank you for reviewing our property here on Denarau for your second time staying with us. We always appreciate return guests and thank you for choosing Radisson Blu again.

I'm glad we didn't disappoint! It sounds as if you and your family had a wonderful time together and delighted that you enjoyed our many free activities and non- motorised water sports. As a parent myself, I well understand that happy, busy children usually equals a happy holiday!

I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back for a third time and on behalf of the team

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Currently on our last night of our 10 day family holiday. Two adults and a toddler. We were greeted warmly on arrival and throughout the whole stay. I cannot stress enough how lovely and kind the staff are. We would like to make special mention of Taru who kept our room spotless and always had it ready for us in time for our son's afternoon sleep. Very much appreciated.
Also though we didn't utilize the kids club the members of the activity staff always had a kind word or time to engage with our son. Just lovely.
Pro's:
Staff (except at the ice cream bar)
Great Room, one bedroom lagoon view suite
Reliable Wifi
Beautiful Gardens
Gorgeous Pools
Neptune's for a quick easy dinner
Location
Beach, I know there are many that disagree but seriously who comes to Denarau for the beach!?! My son loved playing on it.
Proximity to the delicious Mamacita's next door at the Wyndham Resort.
Con's:
Blu Restaurant for any meal. The buffet breakfast was pretty uninspiring, better cereal choices required. Fruit loops and Cocoa Pops! How about Sultana Bran or Rice Bubbles?
One particular kids meal of grilled chicken was so over cooked and dry I struggled to chew it let alone a little person just learning to use his chompers. We could have forgiven this but he was then given a gelatinous ball of mousse that had the consistency of a sponge. It's unacceptable to serve sub par food to kids. We only ate at Blu again for breakfast as it was included in our rate.
The Staff serving at the Ice cream bar were often surly and it seemed a bother to make our order.
The pools were a little cool. Perhaps just heating the toddler pool on the opposite side to the water slide would make the water more bearable for little ones.
Overall the positive far outweighs the negative but I will be keeping an eye out on here, hoping to see some improvement of the food at Blu before booking our next trip.

Stayed May 2014
5 Thank katmelbourne1982
RadissonGM, General Manager at Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Bula katmelbourne1982

Thank you for your feedback on your time with us here on Denarau and I do hope they you leave Fiji with many happy holiday memories!

From your review there were many aspects of your stay that you found very enjoyable but I will quickly attempt to address some of the Cons. Firstly, I sincerely apologise for the standard of food you received. After reading about the limited choice of cereal I checked the breakfast buffet - we offered cornflakes, bran flakes, ready made and make your own muesli as well as those you mentioned.
Although our ice cream bar is contracted out I have spoken directly to the owner about your concern with the attitude of staff. He assures me that he will address this issue immediately.
Finally, we are in the planning stage of a "pool warming" system during the winter months.

I do hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again - I will pass on your kind comments to our staff you mentioned, they will be delighted I'm sure.

Kind Regards

#3 of 8 in Denarau Island
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa
#6 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island? Share your experiences!