“Some rooms need renovation!”

Novotel Suva Lami Bay
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lami
Singapore, Singapore
“Some rooms need renovation!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here again for 3 nights. This visit I changed room twice before getting a room that was up to the standard on our last night. First night we were assigned to a room where you could hear the trucks passing on the highway. There were no blockout curtains in this room either and Novotel has lights outside in the shape of a ball on their fences that were switched on the entire night. The floors were dirty and the room and bathroom was in need of dire renovations. I complained to reception, I needed a room that had block out curtains and proper sound proofing as I did not want to hear trucks going past all night. First the manager denied that they had any rooms with block out curtains but when I said I had stayed there before and that we had block out curtains she said ok I will move you to an ocean view room. I told her that I did not care what the view was I needed to get a good night's sleep. I also told her I would pay extra to get what I wanted. They moved us the next night to an ocean view room. This room was 305 and older then the room we stayed in the previous night. The curtains were still not block out and did not fit the entire window. The bathroom was absolutely disgusting. With cracks in the sink area and the shower cubicle and shower head was horrible. I honestly did not expect to get this type of accommodation at a Novotel hotel and especially for a room that was charged at $185 FJD. I was most disappointed and complained again to reception. They said they were fully booked but could move me to another room the next night. I had no choice but to remain in this horrible room. The lock on the back door was also broken not to mention the safes in both the rooms. The next night they moved us to a room that was definitely what I would expect for a Novotel hotel. The room was perfect with a beautiful view. It had block out curtains and a clean and functional and new shower. These are the new rooms in the hotel and are located as you enter the hotel on the left side. I could not believe that they sell substandard accommodation here. I have stayed in numerous hotels in numerous countries but the accommodation at this hotel does not even compare to a 2 star hotel. They need to renovate asap! Don't think we will stay here as there are more options in Suva city eg The Holiday Inns Superior rooms and now the new Grand Pacific Hotel to be opened very soon in Suva city. Breakfast here was ok as they had an egg station but the rest of the breakfast was pretty standard every day. Look elsewhere for accommodation!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank busybee0607
SimonHarper, General Manager at Novotel Suva Lami Bay, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear busybee0607

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Suva Lami Bay. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address issues that you have raised and the room that you highlight is one of the very last ones to be upgraded and this is expected to happen very soon. The room in questions is the last room sold, the hotel has been running at very high occupancy due to our guests appreciating the value of the accommodation as compared to our competitors.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We stayed here one night before we got on a scuba diving live-aboard boat for a week. This hotel is right next to where the boat docks, so was recommended by the boat company. The hotel is far away from "downtown" Suva, which means it is quieter but you either have to take a taxi to other restaurants or you are captive to eat at the Novotel restaurant. Our biggest complaint was that we arrived about 9AM after a very long trip and overnight flight from the US. While we realize check in time isn't until 2PM, they would not even discuss letting any of the group we were traveling with into their rooms even slightly before 2PM. You know that some rooms are clean and ready before the magic hour of 2PM, but they didn't care how tired we were or how long we had been up and traveling. Also - they charge for wi-fi access, and speed it pretty slow. Most places in Fiji seem to charge - they need to catch up with the times and provide internet for free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water - nice views and quieter than rooms facing the highway.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Have stayed here for 4 months for work have had several items stolen from inside my room and outside not impressed. Food way overpriced and for ever screwing up orders. Laundy gets returned with items missing. Sewerage gets pumped out into the ocean about 1am every morning a horrible smell appears out on the water infront of the motel.

• Stayed April 2014
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The room looked pretty tired, and the aircon was not working. Our room was close to a door used by staff at all hours, which made it impossible to sleep well. Food is expensive and nothing special. Beautiful deck and friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have stayed here for a couple of nights from time to time. The hotel itself if nice enough and caters mostly for business travelers. There is no beach and the swimming pool is quite small as well. On the plus side, it has a beautiful deck and you can watch beautiful sunsets every single day.

I wasn't impressed with the quality of food - it's hit and miss. The restaurant serving staff are a little slow as well. However, the staff at the reception are fantastic!

The rooms are comfortable enough. The price of food and drinks is a little expensive and it is about 10 minutes drive from Suva city so you won't be in the city itself. It's perfect for those travelers who don't want to stay in Suva city itself but still want to enjoy nice views and have a little down time at the end of their hectic day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Imarts
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights arriving late in the evening . Room was adequate with the following exceptions , no remote for aircon
At 2345 I called reception who said they would source one ... After 40 mins nothing had appeared and no return phonecall from front desk. I then went to reception to be told they hadn't found one and also to be told how I might switch said aircon unit on and off by standing on a chair, removing the front grill, and using an internal switch. Not amused and with no vacant rooms I went back to my room. A poor nights sleep ensued!
The staff seemed a little lack lustre as did the room...a significant leak in the bathroom from the shower plus a shower door that did not close properly made the hotel's attention to detail seem lacking.
Apparently this novo hotel used to be a Sheraton and has recently had a revamp ....... Unfortunately it is now looking very tired and in need of a lick of paint .
The pool is extremely small for the size of hotel.
The breakfast area is the best area where children can feed the fish and the view is wonderful. The breakfast is ok.

• Stayed April 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lami
Holiday Inn Suva
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort

Been to Novotel Suva Lami Bay? Share your experiences!