The Shangri-la Fijian Resort really does have everything you could ever need on a holiday to Fiji's 'Big Island' Viti Levu.
Although this is a large resort it was filled with happy families, couples and holiday makers from all over the world (including many Australians) but it didn't seem over-crowded.
The resort, situated on its own island and connected to the mainland by a scenic causeway, boasts three swimming pools (one an adults only pool), 6 restaurants, 3 bars, free snorkeling, kayaking, sailing and numerous daily activities for the kids (and adults).
Geoff and I stayed at the Shangri-la for 5 nights in a Superior Ocean View Room which was on the 2nd floor in a quiet section of the resort. We had beautiful views of the reef and were very close to the Golden Cowrie Restaurant where we had breakfast every morning (we loved this as it had a very civilised adults only breakfast) and a couple of dinners overlooking the reef and the rolling waves. At breakfast we were often entertained by para-sailers flying past, behind the hotel's speed boat and at dinner we watched amazing sunsets slowly spread across the horizon.
Although we were holidaying without our children we didn't mind watching the other families enjoying the sun, sand and water at the lagoon every day. In fact, it was refreshing to see so many happy young families kicking back, relaxing and having fun with their kids.
We had picked up a hire car from the airport in Nadi and loved taking off every day to new areas, villages and places of interest, meeting locals and learning about the culture and history of Fiji. The highlights of these daily outings were a visit to the Fiji Museum in Suva, the Tavuni Hill Fort with its scenic views of the verdant Sigatoka Valley, getting up close and personal with Fiji's native wildlife (including the endangered Hawkesbill Turtle) at the Kula Eco Park in Korotoga and having beer and curries with the locals at the Sigatoka Club.
Even if we hadn't had our own car there were plenty of tours to jump on from the hotel's tour desk as well as good shopping in the resort's own mini shopping mall.
The staff at the resort were exceptionally friendly (as are all Fijians) and at no stage did we experience a negative 'Fiji Time' situation where we had to wait for extended periods before we were served or before our food arrived. We also enjoyed efficient room service and had pizza and burgers on our own balcony when we didn't feel like going out.
Definitely make a booking for dinner if you want to eat at the resort's restaurants as they are usually booked out.
The only disappointing element of our stay was that the internet on the 3 computers in the guest internet room was unbearably slow. I wasn't able to pick up the wifi in the public areas on my ipad or phone (probably due to my settings, as I saw many other people sitting in the lobby tapping away on their computers) so I had to go to the internet room to post photos on facebook and check emails. It took ages to load just one photo on facebook so in the end I gave up and enjoyed our holiday the old fashioned way!
From a well appointed room with magical views to wonderful snorkeling just off the resort's main lagoon beach, from friendly staff to amazing sunsets, the Shangri-la Fijian Resort provided everything we had expected and a bit more.
I highly recommend it for a holiday with or without the kids, but for couples like us, I'd suggest staying at the resort outside the school holiday period as we did. We were there at the end of July and the weather was a beautiful 30 degrees Celsius every day with low humidity and blue skies.
The Shangri-la Fijian Resort is a great place for a relaxing, well appointed holiday and is the perfect base from which to explore Fiji's main Island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is exclusively located on the beautiful 109-acre private Yanuca Island with its pure white sandy beach and crystal clear, coral rich seas of the exotic Fiji Islands. Only 45 minutes from Nadi International Airport, the island is connected from the mainland by a causeway.A traditional Fijian village is the inspiration behind the layout of the 442-room resort. Every guest room, suite and bure features a private balcony with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean or the resort’s lagoon. Unlimited wired broadband Internet access is complimentary in all rooms. The Resort offers a range of activities, including water sports, scuba diving and golf, and a popular Kid's Club. A wide range of dining options are available, from Pacific Rim fine dining to informal fun dining at the poolside. Cultural shows highlight Fijian lovo, meke and firewalking rituals, South Pacific and Fijian Fire dancers.CHI, The Spa is a secluded spa village set away from the main resort, and provides the privacy and luxury of the largest Spa villas in Fiji. Four Oceanview and two Rainforest treatment villas feature relaxation areas overlooking either the Pacific Ocean or an exotic rainforest, with private garden patios, outdoor bath tubs, herbal steam room and outdoor showers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Fijian Hotel Yanuca Island
- Fiji Shangri La Resort
- Shangri La Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Resort
- Shangri Las Fijian Hotel
- Fiji Shangri La Hotel
- Fiji La Shangri
- Fijian La Resort Shangri
- Fiji La Resort Shangri
- Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa Fiji/Yanuca Island