“had a great time”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Yaqeta Island
sydney
“had a great time”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We found this place to be surprisingly social during our stay. There are good options for lots of private time if you want it, with quite secluded rooms that are sectioned off to fairly private beach areas. Getting involved in the morning Yoga, going on snorkelling trips and the bar were all great, and gave people opportunities to socialise. Though the beach didn't have good snorkelling, it was quite close and accessible by boat, and if you ask them, trips such as these are quite readily arranged. The spa was very popular, and nothing beat seeing one couple take 10 minutes to walk 200 metres after yet another treatment there (talk about Fiji time!). When my husband booked this holiday I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough to do, but with the yoga(Torika was amazing ), the willingness to cater to our snorkelling needs, a couple of dive days (easily organised and fabulous) and some fun beachcombing and walks I was quite content. There was mention of the food not being great(lovo 10/10 tho), and truly I think this could be improved upon, though with a roster change of chef ? this did improve some. The breakfast was fantastic, but I did find it difficult to wait till 8am and having no kettle in our room went for tea or coffee on request at the restaurant. We found it a bit challenging getting fed prior to 0830 pick up for diving, ok Fiji time whatever, but it seemed the more we indicated our time limit, the slower the service! Almost all the staff were fabulous and friendly. I appreciate the high costs of running a remote resort of this high standard. Its a shame the price tag does not filter down to better local wages which are very meagre. Yes donations for the village are promoted by the resort and this is a good thing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank skeers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Navutu stars is amazing and perfect. If trip advisor offered 10 stars...they would deserve every bit of the 10. I almost don't even know where to start.....since our stay at Navutu was such perfection.

Our trip to Navutu included a wedding and honeymoon. So with that being said my bride and I did have some expectations. All expectations were far exceeded. The staff at Navutu are first class. From management to service staff, they all make up such an amazing team. Many of the staff have several roles and duties....and they accomplish everything very well.

Our wedding day was made so very special by the entire staff. I woke up to do yoga at 645AM and they were already weaving palm frawns and picking fresh flowers for our setting. The sand was raked and the beautiful high tide made for the most beautiful backdrop. The staff continued to assist my bride and I the entire day...they really cared that this day turn out special for us. Dan and Jeff really were instrumental in assisting us with our wishes. My bride had some special requests and they fulfilled each and everyone of them. Many of the staff assisted that day...and it was very special.

The resort continued this special service the entire week of our stay. They have such a personal way of accommodating their guests. Often greeting us by first name and tending to our requests. We honestly felt like family the entire time.

Navutu accommodations are great. The beach front bures are amazing...right on the water, and very comfortable and clean. All of the grand bures looked great too. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. All have beautiful settings.

The food and beverage was delicious and tasty. Many different options and we really enjoyed it.

The activities were fun. Snorkeling, kayaking, and private beach tours are highly recommended. Also Jeff the manager was nice enough to take me fishing for a wedding present and we slayed some big yellow fin tuna....that was fun. Thx Jeff.
We did a lot of relaxing....great place to do this. Very romantic beach walks nearby and close private beaches reachable by kayak.

My wife and I do a lot of traveling...and sometimes have high expectations when we travel. Navutu Stars is at the top of our list for quality, service, and accommodations....not to mention every other category. Honestly such an amazing place.

I would like to thank all of the Navutu staff, and would also like to give extra thanks to the following staff for making our wedding/honeymoon so beautiful and perfect. Special Vinaka to: Jeff, Dan, Torika, Will, Jason, Seruvi, and Wati.

We will return soon....that's a promise! Jam & Nicole

Room Tip: Beach Front bures are perfect. All bures are great.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jzayer
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Every resort has a target market.
This resort is not for partying, staying up late, large buffet feasts, kids, constant activities. Don't bother coming here if that's what you're looking for.
This resort is for couples who are seeking rest, relaxation, amazing snorkelling, sunbathing, good local food and cultural education.

Our experience started very well with Navutu. We booked directly with the resort by email and Reapi, who we dealt with was very fast, attentive, understanding and dedicated to booking us in when and how we wanted. It gave me great confidence that this would be a well run resort.

We arrived on the Yasawa Flyer catamaran which is the cheapest way to get there, but only has one service per day so we had to stay in Denarau the night before as the boat leaves there at 8.30am. On arrival near the resort, you are collected by speed boat by the resort staff and then its about 5-10 mins to Navutu. A great welcome song and fruit juice awaited us and that's when things start to slow down. You need to get into the groove of Fiji at this point (in a good way!). Check in is done seated on the couch in the sand-bottomed bar. It's more of a chat than a regular checkin. At this point you can choose your meal plan. We didnt, and chose just to pay as you go. We found this better as the meal plans are not discounted and we didnt want to commit to a certain number of courses per day. Also at this time, choose when you would like your complimentary 20min massage. We upgraded to a full hour for an additional $30pp. Well worth it!

The resort offers 2 activities every day. Often a snorkelling trip away from the resort (by speed boat) at 10am and something at the resort at 2.30pm. Some of the closer snorkelling trips are free, but if they are further away, they are at a charge to cover the fuel. All the onsite activities are free. On Saturdays the afternoon activity is basket-weaving and learning about the Lovo. Lovo is a method of cooking and is presented as a buffet for dinner that night. On Sunday you can choose to go to church in the village or snorkelling in the morning. In the afternoon the village children perform as a choir at the resort. This was a beautiful experience, I found, and would recommend it. There is also free yoga every morning at 7am - a bit early for me, but i would have really enjoyed that, had i had the inclination - set on the stunning Sunset Deck.

The spa at the resort is lovely, particularly for massages, body treatments and facials. Torika is incredible and she has some great assistance from 2 other staff. We never struggled to get a booking for couples massages and they are decently priced.

I found the food at Navutu to be absolutely wonderful. It is largely seafood with an Italian influence. I don't eat shellfish but always found something suitable to choose on the menu. The lunch menu is the same every day, but quite extensive in choice. Dinner offers a choice of 4 mains which change every day. I never saw the same dish come up twice during our 7 night stay. The food is what I would call chef-y. You can tell it has been prepared by a trained chef. It is beautifully flavoured and exquisitely presented. The portion sizes are smaller than what you would get in say a pub but larger than haute cuisine. I found it necessary to eat 3 meals a day, but was never hungry. Many of the dishes amazed me (taste-wise) - some of the best food I have ever had.

The staff at this resort and in all of Fiji are superb. The managers Jeff and Colleen are from Southern Africa and experts in the industry. Most other staff are from the village on the Island (10 mins away). I felt real connections with many of these people and if I stayed there much longer I think i would become very attached! Everyone greets you whenever they see you and genuinely care about you enjoying your stay and you doing as little as possible.

For some reason (maybe because it only hosts 20 guests), I found it very easy to meet and get to know other guests at Navutu. We met some lovely couples, some of whom I'm sure we will spend time with again.

The rooms and grounds at Navutu are lovely. Simple, clean, well maintained, pretty. Rooms serviced daily at about 10am.

We left Navutu with Pacific Island Air. We booked them over Turtle as the luggage allowance is more and they fly right to the resort as apposed to Turtle who go to Turtle Island and then you go by Navutu's boat between there and Navutu. Apparently PIA's aircrafts are also newer. When we went however, the seaplane was in for service, so we were 'up'graded to the helicopter. Unfortunately the helicopter cant land on Navutu's island, so it ended up being a boat trip anyway. no complaints though. The reason we chose not to leave on the Yasawa Flyer was because it only arrives back at Nadi after 5pm which was too late to get a flight back to Aus, so would have cost us another day.

Overall this was a wonderful trip and I would love to return.

Room Tip: The best rooms are beachfront bures as they have beautiful views and are just 10 steps from the beac...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Karigen
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Navutu Stars was everything we expected and more!!! The staff were world class, the food was incredible, the accommodation, beyond amazing. I couldn't ever say a bad word about Navutu, I can't wait to come back there one day! :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

To coin a phrase or song is easy. To say it & really mean it is an experience to never forget!
Yaqeta island was something Yin & me couldn't have imagined was real. The people, the place, the ambiance... Wow! If you want to experience a ridgy-didge island retreat, then this the place! Navutu stars... Well done!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew C
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at Navutu Stars for 5 nights ...just bliss ... the perfect place to chill out and relax.

* Getting there - we used Pacific Island Air, which landed at the resort. We flew because we wanted to maximise the time we had at the resort. Otherwise, we would have been reduced to a 3 night stay, with a night either side in Nadi if we transferred by boat. The flight was excellent. Even though it was only about a 30 minute flight, it seemed that is was in slow motion (nice) and very scenic.

* The Welcome - it was wonderful to arrive at a place where the people are genuinely pleased to see you. Best welcome I have ever had.

* The Accommodation - we stayed in the Grand Bure. My initial impression was that it was a bit underdone and not as luxurious as I expected but after settling in I quickly realised that it was the perfect beach bungalow. The bed was extremely comfortable and it was wonderful to sleep at night with the doors wide open. It was like sleeping in the great outdoors - and although the weather was hot and humid with the fans on it was great sleeping. No need for air conditioning.
A couple of improvements inside the bure would be to mark out the edges of steps and the edge of the in floor bath as these are difficult to see. There is a wonderful deck with this bure but as it is painted white it is blinding in the sunlight, a lick of paint in a darker colour would be great. On a whole we loved the accommodation. We especially liked having a bath made up for us and ready when we returned from an evening meal.

* The Bar - at the end of the day this was a great place to meet up with the other guests, resort management and the barman, have a cocktail, and have a good conversation or catchup on what was happening in the outside world using the free WiFi.

* The Restaurant - great food with good sea food and great people. First place I have ever got a hug from the maitre d' at the end of the dinner ... wonderful.

* The Activities - we went snorkelling to various coral reefs each day. These cost a bit extra $10-$20 but well worth it. You are taken by boat to the the reef. You need to be a reasonable swimmer as some locations you are dropped off are a fair way from the pick-up point. Maybe up to an hour of snorkelling involved - which is easy swimming. There is a guide that swims with you but it would be good for the future if the guide carried a flotation device in case someone got into difficulty. The coral reefs were all different and well worth the visit.

*Boutique - make sure that you have a massage. Well worth the visit to the boutique - do this first up and chill out even faster. We went back a number of times.

*Best of All - the wonderful staff.

*The Farewell - you won't want to leave and there will be tears when you have to say good bye.

Navutu Stars is truly a wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: Grand Bure was excellent.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank The_Novocastrian
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The friendly staff, excellent service, great food and lovely spacious bures all make for the perfect relaxing getaway for adults (no kids allowed which suited me!)
the white sandy beach feels very private with spectacular snorkelling nearby. thanks so much to Colleen, Jeff and the team for an awesome experience, one that I will definitely return to again very soon hopefully

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
Yasawa Island Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Yasawa Island
Mantaray Island Resort

Been to Navutu Stars Fiji Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!