“The Only Ring”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$95.59*
and up
Pelennor Fields 'Lord of the Rings' Set Tour with...
Ranked #1 of 9 Tours in Twizel
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was a brilliant tour, heaps of fun. Dawn was a fantastic source of information and entertaining trivia and stories about the making of the scenes, including the actors, extras and all the aspects of the film-making. We loved dressing up as the characters and using their array of props and replica swords. My mum loved Arwen's sword, which she said was beautifully crafted with elvish inscriptions. Dad thought Gimli's beard suited him well. It was, all in all, a wonderful experience.

All reviews
"die hard"
"film making"
"take pictures"

Reviewed 26 September 2013

This tour is an essential - and incredibly fun - stop on your Middle Earth vacation checklist, right up there with Hobbiton, the Wellington area, Queenstown and Edoras. Since most Middle Earth travelers will be transiting between Christchurch (Edoras) and Queenstown at some point in their travels, there is no excuse to miss the Pelennor Fields along the way! Dawn is an incredible tour guide, and was recently an extra in The Hobbit so has a great insider perspective into the filming process. She showed us about 10 different scene locations within the Pelennor Fields, and has lots of movie stills and behind the scenes photos available to help enhance your view of the area. The tour also had the best collection of props and weapons I saw on any of the other tours I did, and Dawn did a great job helping to stage scenes like the charge of the Rohirrim and slaying of the Witch King. The more people you have on the tour the more fun it's going to be taking photos and videos, so bring along all of your family and travel buddies! Like all of New Zealand, the scenery is spectacular even if you're not a hardcore LoTR fan (so your significant other will still have a great time), and thanks to all of Dawn's behind the scenes info (most new to me despite doing multiple other tours in NZ) the tour is totally engrossing. Customer service is also excellent – I emailed Dawn a few weeks prior to my visit to find out if tours were scheduled for any of the dates that worked for me, as I was travelling solo. She emailed me multiple times with updates and let me know about a last-minute booking that was made the day before I was due to arrive through Twizel to ensure I could go on the tour, helped with my onward travel arrangements and even dropped me off outside of the city. Can't recommend this tour enough! :)

3  Thank Sarah S
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was absolutely fantastic. A friend of mine and I booked the two hour trip after hearing good things about it, and we weren't at all disappointed. Dawn and her gatekeeper made sure we were well taken care of and informed. She had amazing behind-the-scenes photos and stories, heaps of great costumes, and was just as enthusiastic as we were, but with the bonus of knowing more than we did. She helped us get great photos and made us feel incredibly welcome. We are both from the US but studying in New Zealand, and she made sure we got to see the Middle Earth we were hoping to. With funny stories and comments, brilliant descriptions and explanations of various scenes in the films, and an overall great tour, we were thrilled to have gone and wish we could have stayed all day!
I literally cannot speak highly enough of the tour and of Dawn. If you have the chance, consider yourself lucky and go for it!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The tour is exactly as described - you get to see where the battle of the Pelonar fields were filmed, hear about details about the filming than take pictures of your boys playing around with cool, big swords. We all had a lot of fun and a definite must for LOTR fans!!
My only complaint is that in the ticket I got it said "call day before to reconfirm trip or your ticket may be automatically cancelled" but there was no phone number listed on the ticket (BTW, the tickets were already completely paid for so I really don't see what the fuss was about). We do not have internet access when traveling and that entire day we were going to be on the Doubtful Sound tour so we didn't have time to search for an internet computer. Luckily, Neil at the Real Journeys desk in Manapourri hunted down all the information while we were on our boat cruise; turns out their cell phones weren't working so he finally had to e-mail them back and forth. However, it still gave me a very negative opinion of the company - they didn't even apologize for the mixup.

2  Thank lanamom