“Avoid this awful hellhole at all costs -- sleep in the car if needed.”

High Country Holiday Lodge
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Twizel
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Dreadful "lodge" that looked like old army barracks. Hot water boiler in my room -- insane racket when anyone used it. No insulation in rooms or corridors. Ancient, uncomfortable beds, dingy dirty bedspreads.

I ended up leaving at 11pm: the din from conversations in the adjoining rooms, drunken louts shouting from somewhere, and the stifling heat from the boiler. No answer on the phone outside reception to ask to
change rooms after ten minutes of ringing, hanging up and ringing again.

Currently in a motel up the road at 11.30. I will let you know whether they refund me for the unused night.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 14 December 2011

The motel reminded me an army camp with its long barraks ans srerile areas in between. The rooms were pretty convenient but looked old and neglected. In the bathroom we found leftover pieces of soap from the former guests. There were some broken equipments and general feeling that the place is not realy clean and realy taken care of. At about midnight a syrene started shouting very loudly as if a war has just started. But one song thrush was sitting on a high branch of a nearby tree and sang. HE had a remarkbly wide repertuar and it made up.

Room Tip: Considering the above mentioned and the price I would try other hotels..
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2011

Our stay at the High Country Lodge in Twizel was the low point of our stay in NZ. The lady who ran the place was the RUDEST person we encountered in New Zealand by far. I'm pretty sure she was an owner. We had to call her up on the phone when we arrived, as the lobby was locked. She seemed very unhappy that we had interrupted whatever she was doing. She insulted my girlfriend, was not helpful, and pretty much made us feel as unwelcome as possible. The place was a dump, too.

I will tell everyone for as long as I live to NEVER go to this place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I spent one night in their backpacker rooms (dormitory). I paid $30 for the night I think. Was provided a twin room with a fisherman which was alright, free tea coffee making and microwave and bar fridge and TV as a bonus but didn't use them.

Kitchen is YHA standard, enough cutleries, I just microwaved my food.
Not many people as off peak.

Not a hotel nor a motel. Decent backpacker, while not the best I have seen in NZ. That goes to YHA Rotorua or Auckland in my experience. But better than YHA Lake Tekapo.

Bathroom was decent too, proper doors in shower to not see feet, hot water and pressure.

Does feel like a school camp as they had diff units unconnected to the main amenities. Free pool table too included.

Recommended to budget travellers ie young people on OE or short stays. Otherwise family, couples etc, go to the Aspen Motor Lodge (sp?).

Room Tip: N/a.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My wife and I went to stay after the 22nd earthquake in Christchurch, this was the only accommdation we could choose as others were all fully booked in town, so were lots of other towns on the way due to this event.
We stayed there in an ensuite double unit for 2 nights, the room's furnitures were really outdated, bad odour in room and on linen, uncomfortable beds, shower was very small, when I was having shower, the dirty shower curtain sucked on me.
The next day, we tried to make some lunch at the shared kitchen, however we were told that the dinning room was closed for meeting, and we couldn't use kitchen, which should be open for guests to use, so we had to eat out.
We had no choice, otherwise we would've stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tessman
Reviewed 6 April 2011

We rented a double room with ensuite unit for two nights. The room is enough for 3 persons, and the bathroom is small and simple. Cleanliness is not satisfactory though. For example, the comforter and blanket on the bed were dirty with stains and hairs all over it. Also, the room or its bathroom doesn't have any heater. So if you're visiting New Zealand during winter and stay in this room, you'll be frozen probably.

To be fair, we didn't ask to change to another room. If we did, probably the manager would be able to help us with such request. Question is, do they have another vacant room which is cleaner?

Sleep quality is not so good either. The rooms are sharing one corridor, the wall and door of the room are thin. So when other tenants are walking on the corridor or slam their doors, we can hear them very clearly. That affected our sleeps actually, especially in early morning.

On positive side, the staffs were quite flexible and helped us with some questions during check-in.

NZD90/night... i guess what you pay is what you get.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I’d try to find another place to stay before I stayed here – or better yet stay down the road a bit in Lake Tekapo which has a lot more to offer (including a great café at the top of the mountain with the observatory). We called this spot from 10 minutes down the road & there was room (when we arrived it looked like there was a lot of rooms available). When we showed up the person behind the desk wanted payment in full at check in & did not want us to look at the room first. We insisted on seeing the room & if it had been earlier in the evening we would have kept looking for another place. This was the only place in NZ we stayed that gave us a hard time about wanting to look at the room first – and once we saw the room we could understand why they want you to pay before seeing it. It could have been cleaner & brighter. The room was small. It looked tired and so did the sheets, blanket, bathroom & towels. We couldn’t wait to leave in the morning. The shower curtain was to short so (did not come anywhere need the floor) water leaks out beneath it onto the floor. The restaurant was not open - we were told it only opens sometimes for bus tours. All in all a bad experience

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Twizel
Mackenzie Country Inn
Ahuriri Motel Omarama
Ahuriri Motel Omarama
#2 of 4 in Omarama
Lake Ruataniwha Holiday Park & Motels

Been to High Country Holiday Lodge? Share your experiences!