Matuka Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
The Godley Hotel(Lake Tekapo)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsnew zealandsmall lakeluxury accommodationfruit cakemount cookdelicious breakfastducks swimmingwonderful hostssouthern alpsplace to staytroutviews of the mountainsown homeduck pondsouth islandb bstunning location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I recommend a Matuka Lodge holiday for all world weary travellers.A superb location with excellent accommodation. One can spend hours in quiet contemplation gazing at snow capped mountains and glorious scenery.
The hosts are extremely delightful and enhance the whole experience with their good humour and charm.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights. It was the most expensive place we stayed in on our 3 week honeymoon of NZ and so we had very high expectations. We were not disappointed and felt that it was worth the additional cost. The property is stunning with a beautiful setting by its own lake and view to the mountains beyond. Rosalie and Russell are wonderful hosts - it was great to chat with them over pre-dinner drinks before we went to dinner at restaurants recommended by Rosalie. The bedroom was stunning with a beautiful bathroom. Having the flexibility to use the lounge and have a drink in the evening was really appreciated. Breakfasts were gorgeous - I really recommend the local smoked salmon. The only caution I have is to be careful with your key - we came very close to locking ourselves out because once the door shuts it locks - a bit dangerous! I wish we had more time to spend here - it was the best property we stayed in during our entire 3 week trip!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I can't think of a better place to stay to restore one's sense of peace and serenity. The suites and shared sitting areas are delightful with every comfort taken care, nothing was too much trouble. The quiet, serene atmosphere soothed my soul and I wished I could have stayed much, much longer. I particularly loved the private terrace where I sat and enjoyed seeing the ducks swimming in the dam. In the morning I watched the sun come up with a quiet cup of tea in bed, and at the end of the day, watched the sun set, sipping a lovely glass of wine. Perfect!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I returned to Matuka Lodge because of its uniqueness. The setting is superb, with 360 degree views of snow-capped peaks and it's a short drive to Mt Cook. The accommodation is luxurious with every desired comfort including spa baths in each suite. The breakfasts are excellent and there are first class restaurants in nearby Twisel. Being halfway between Queenstown and Christchurch makes Matuka Lodge the perfect point to stopover. The hosts are delightful: friendly, helpful and interesting. Anyone looking for beauty and tranquility should go to this ideal spot!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

Of all the accommodation we enjoyed during our wonderful tour of South Island Matuka Lodge was without doubt the standout experience. The lodge itself was very comfortable, beautifully appointed and the setting quite stunning with uninterrupted views of the mountains across the private lake, (even from the spa bath!).
Rosalie & Russell were delightful hosts and good conversationalists with a wealth of useful information on the area and South Island generally.
We now rave about this wonderful place to all friends planning a NZ holiday.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple