“Don't bother, find elsewhere”

Base Backpackers Wanaka
Ranked #39 of 45 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Don't bother, find elsewhere”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I stayed here one night and was so glad to leave the place. The rooms were tiny and so crammed meaning they were very very warm. The staff on the desk were rather unfriendly in my opinion and asking for anything received a look similar to one you would get if you asked for a million dollars. Maybe she was having a bad day but the next morning she wasn't much better.

There was a smaller plump woman who was friendly but she wasn't about that much. The kitchen in this hostel was probably the second worst kitchen I have ever been in. The hostel could probably hold around 200+ people, we struggled to get enough plates etc for 8 people to all eat at once. As with all base hostels there is usually a bar near by. Their bar was ok but not the best I have experienced. They said they wouldn't people in after 10pm so everyone rushed to get in and then they let locals and others in all night. It was a ploy to get people in early and spending more.

The only thing I found good was the shower in the disabled toilet. It was powerful and was clean. Other than that don't bother with this particular sweat pit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We arrived at Base late so had a late dinner in a disgusting kitchen then when we were back in our room, we decided to watch a bit of tv when around 1am we saw so many bed bugs running on them light brown blanket that we realised we could't sleep in here.
My partner rang the night bell, a nice guy who was in charge this night gave us another room, so we told him we don't want to take any bed bugs with us so we're going to leave our clothes in that bedroom and will sort it in the morning.
At 8.30am we went to the reception and been told to come back in 30 minutes as only the manager could sort it out. We were back after 10am and the manager made us wait as he was too busy talking with another staff member (we have been told by a work mate as we couldn't see whats going on in the office) and when we explained to the manager he didn't believe us, telling us the room had bed bugs just before we arrived but they made it sprayed by professional and left it empty for 48 hours as recommend by the pest control people. So I had to explain him I knew what was bed bugs as I already had some few years ago in Australia.
Then we told him we left all our clothes in the bed bugs room to make sure we don't take any with us so we now need to wash our clothes.
I am still waiting for the thank you!
And finally he told us how many load of washing you need so I will give some coins but that was it.
We lost all our day in Wanaka because we had to wash our clothes and didn't have anything to wear until our clothes were washed and dried.
He didn't even offer us anything else like a free dinner who coast $8 per person just to make apologise.
The room I am now has a non stop nose like a truck motor!
And in that morning I asked to someone at the reception how much to print something. He said $0.50 per paper so I printed what I needed and as I was bored in my room waiting for my clothes to be ready, I was reading them Base Wanaka book and saw in here that to print something it was $0.20 per paper.
When back to the reception to ask my money back and I have been told that the price changed that what was in my room wasn't up to date. Once again I had to explain them that it wasn't my problem that I wanted the difference back as they already ruined my day!
At least whenI had bed bugs in a YHA backpacker in Australia the manager took responsibility and washed my clothes herself to make sure I don't waste my day!
So if you are looking for a backpacker, the YHA is just 2 minutes walk from this place.

Room Tip: The double room with ensuite could have been good if not bed bugs, horrible nose like a truck motor...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
GMBaseWanaka, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Base Wanaka, may if first express my apologies for your stay, and for not offering to do your washing. Bed bugs are brought in from other guests and we do everything we can to prevent this from occuring in particular we offer hotel standard linen in all our beds, and rely on professionals to eradicate if such events occur, I was on the phone with this company when you arrived at reception investigating the situation, so i apologies for your wait. I do believe that we tried everything we could to accommodate you when the incident occured, in the form of a full refund for your acommodation for the evening, as well as a food and beverage tab in the Mint bar which you did comment was a nice guesture, and taking care of ither costs incurred during your stay with us. If there is anything further you wish to discuss please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Travellers are raving about these Wanaka hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I stayed in one of the private rooms here.
The bed was two singles pushed together. This didn't really bother me as a single, but for a couple it could be an issue.
I stayed midweek and there was a bit of noise from the corridor and entertainment room which was just down the hall, so earplugs are probably the go here.
I didn't rate this establishment on service as it is a backpackers and what are you going to rate, how well they give a room key to you?
There is a fairly hefty key deposit ( $20 ) for the magstripe card keys which cost around $3.
So this really should be much lower.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Clane, Ireland
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed in NZ during the rugby world cup and stayed in tons of different hostels. This Base hostel was the best value hostel I stayed the whole trip. Fantastic service by the guy at reception (think his name might have been Tom?) The rooms were nice and clean, great kitchen (although those cookers are so hard to use!) big bar downstairs also. The location is great and lots of parking around the area. I stayed in a few Base hotels and found myself disillusioned at the prices and the level of quality as they vary quite considerably but I can honestly say that I 100 per cent recommend this Base hostel if in Wanaka.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Newcastle
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed one night here just before Christmas. Very clean and tidy place with helpful staff. Described by my partner as resembling a 'filing cabinate' which, as we later discovered to our amusement, is a sentiment shared by one of the big-selling guides to NZ. Everything is grey and white and feels pretty clinical, but it's a hostel, not a hotel, and it more than did the job. Comfortable bed and great shower. Irritating music playing in corridors for no apparent reason and as we stayed in a double room I can't comment on the dorms. Seemed a little expensive but then Wanaka is a popular destination. Would recommend this place over the nearby YHA, which we also investigated but whose staff were less than helpful and which had the feel of a retirement home.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Our experience at Base Backpackers Wanaka was the worst (and most traumatising) travel experience we've ever had. My husband and I booked two beds in a shared dormitory at Base. It was a busy time of the year and shared dormitory accomodation at Base was the only thing we could find. We decided to go with it based on the following reasoning:

1) We weren't planning to spend much time indoors and therefore only needed a bed to crash.
2) We have travelled extensively and have slept in dormitory rooms at backpackers in Tokyo, Vietnam, New York, San Fransisco and Cape Town. We have never had any negative experiences. On the contrary, we always enjoyed the atmosphere amongst travellers in a good backpackers.

Our experience at Base Backpackers Wanaka was nothing like any of the experiences above.
(1)This hostel serves local kids who need a place to crash after drinking all night.
(2)When we arrived, we put our things in the room and chose our bunk. When we returned that night at 12pm, there were empty bottles of alcohol shoved in the corner of the room. No one was there and we went to bed.
(3) Hours later a young drunk man entered the room and swore at us. His group of friends were hoping to continue drinking in thie room and he obviously felt incovenienced that we were there.
(4) The kids came back to the room and continued to party and make a noise.
(5) In the early hours of the morning I took my husbands car keys and went to the car to try and get some sleep.
(6) We were verbally assalted by these kids and my husband was threatened physically. We tried to diffuse the situation as best as possible and leave.

At no point was there anyone working at the hostel after 10. After reception is locked and shut down the backpackers becomes a free for all. People (drunk aggressive local kids) from the bars below drift in, sit in the corridors, drink in the rooms and invite their friends to join them. Curse words are screamed through the passages until the sun comes up.

Base Backpackers Wanaka should be utterly ashamed of this place. I will actively make sure to warn other travels about 'Base' (Wanaka and others).

We ignored the negative comments about this place only because it was the only place left with vacancies in Wanaka (a testament to it's reputation and quality). Please be warned and try to avoid at all costs. I had my husband with me, and shudder to think how overwhelmed and intimidated a single female or male traveller would have been (especially one that spoke limited English or had nowhere else to go).

My husband, who got no sleep had to drive 5 and a half hours back to Christchurch that day. We had booked two nights but left after the first night. The man at reception had little sympathy, offered us no compensation for our night of hell, and suggested that we might not get a refund for the second night (this is something I will have to follow up myself). He seemed friendly enough but admitted that he was extremely hung over and we got the picture that he had no vested interest in the experiences of "guests".

All in all it was the worst travel experience of our lives and it will be forever etched in our memory. DO NOT PUT YOURSELF IN THIS SITUATION. AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
GMBaseWanaka, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, 22 January 2012
Dear Sam
Thank you for you feedback regarding your stay at Base Wanaka, your feedback is very important to us.
May I express my sincere concerns regarding our other guests, I can not condone their behaviour, we do rely on all guests to respect others when staying particularly in mixed dorms, we have emergency after hours numbers that you can contact staff members on as well as our bar is open till late, Our Duty Manager is more than welcome to assist you. I am sorry that you fealt you had a restless sleep, I do recommend that during a busy part of the year e.g. New Year, that you book in advance to avoid dissappointment. At Base we strive to offer good service to all our guests, and I will pass on your comments to all involved.

Kind Regards
Kingsley Wyeth
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Base backpackers gives you 2 nights for the price of 1 in most other Wanaka accommodation. It is still a backpackers but because it is a member of the ACCOR group, hospitality standards are really high. Beds and pillows both really comfortable and we had double room with ensuite. It was fun to share the kitchen with the Kiwi Experience bus people and the view from the dining room deck is great.

• Stayed December 2011