“Sleepless in Wanaka”

Ranked #39 of 45 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Otago Peninsula, NZ
“Sleepless in Wanaka”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This building appears to be Soviet era - dauntingly impersonal in scale. It was a very hot night, and the building captured even more heat - as you went upstairs it got worse. We had a 2nd floor ensuite which was great if tiny - I had to clean my teeth with my head underneath the shelf - but it meant we could leave windows open all night to try to cool the room down. However, the noise was dreadful - we stayed on a Friday night and there was shouting, shrieking, car doors slamming, cars revving etc.until around 3am. A great deal of it was people returning to the hostel, and being noisy both outside and inside the building - totally thoughtless behaviour. We didn't try to use the kitchen as it was too crowded including no room in the fridge. Not a good experience.

Room Tip: Windows essential if staying when hot weather.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Hi there, Sorry to hear you had a sleepless stay. I'm disappointed our Night Security didn't manage to keep the noise inside the hostel to a low level or at least offer you some earplugs that are free for light sleepers. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This was a pretty standard Base hostel, a little grubby in places but the showers were ok and the kitchen a reasonable size. However, I was given a room that was directly above the beer garden and bar, and loud, irritating club music thumped through the room into the early hours of the morning. This was not what I expected from a lovely small town like Wanaka! Also the food in the bar was not worth getting; it was 2 dollar taco night, and they were very small, barely a bite each. I tried to go and order more but the queue had got so big we were told there would be a very long wait for food and so I had to go elsewhere, which meant my 2 dollar taco night saving actually meant I ended up spending more somewhere else. All those groans aside - the crazy loud music being my biggest issue and meaning I wouldn't choose to stay there again - the staff were friendly and the beds cleaner than most other Base hostels.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the bar!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hi there, I'm terribly sorry to hear you couldn't sleep, there is nothing worse! There was obviously some confusion here because we could have shifted you away from the Saturday night crowd. I'm disappointed that staff did not offer to move you into a quiet room or even offer you earplugs which are free for light sleepers. Hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Travellers are raving about these Wanaka hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 February 2014

stayed here over new years. booked three rooms almost a year in advanced after waiting 3 hours in the lobby after a 6 hour ride in 27 degree heat all 6 of us girls got shoved into a double room with one bathroom and all 6 suitcases taking up all floor space. certain staff were very unhelpful and did little to make our stay enjoyable. lucky the people there made it a better experience- although any noise was forbidden. would not stay here again due to the massive muck up and lack of service.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hi there. Goodness me, this isn't a pleasant read. I am so sorry to hear this. Please feel free to contact me personally on wanakagm@stayatbase.com if you are in Wanaka again, I will be sure to make sure your stay is a lot more smooth sailing and enjoyable. Thanks
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely staff, clean though very small room. Our first room had a view only of a wall. But we were instantly given a room with a proper view.

But this morning, I went to the kitchen. In all my travels, mostly in India and ST Asia, I have never seen such a dirty and badly equipped kitchen. Most pans are burnt and have their handles missing. The utensils such as stirring spoons are burnt and damaged. The limited crockery is mismatched and cracked. Everyone was having to wash knives and forks before daring to use them. Completely unacceptable and no excuse.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hi. Thank you for bringing to our attention at the time of your stay, the lack of utensils and pans etc. We have replenished equipment and implemented a fuller cleaning schedule. Unfortunately things can go missing at the blink of an eye so it was very helpful having your feedback right away. Hope you're enjoying the rest of your travels.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights with my friend in late Jan. We stayed in a double ensuite and were both pleasantly surprised. The room was very nice and had everything we needed - two beds, a toilet and shower...even a TV!! We were actually expecting it to be not as nice as it was because it was a backpackers but safe to say it's probably one of the nicest backpackers we've ever stayed at! It's in a very good location and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The only bad thing was we didn't sleep very well, as people were partying at the bar downstairs till 2/3 in the morning. Very good value for money and I definitely think it's worth it paying a little bit more to stay in the ensuite rooms. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hi there! Thank you for taking time to leave a lovely review. Very pleased you enjoyed your stay in this beautiful town :) Safe travels, and hope to see you again!
Wanaka, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I understand hostels with bars are going to be louder then ones without but this place really went to far. The whole building was shaking under the base in the bar.3 nights i stayed there and honestly left shattered because couldnt sleep until 2-3am in the morning. When I went to ask why i was paying $33 for sanctuary which should have ensuite, tv and girls only where as i had none of these i was told i was in a quite area of the hostel! I couldnt believe it. This has put me completely off Base in general

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Goodness me this is not good. There is nothing worse when you can't get to sleep! Although we are a party place we still expect all of our guests be able to get a good night sleep. I'm disappointed that staff did not offer to move you into a quiet room. There was obviously some confusion here because we could have shifted you away from the Saturday night crowd. Furthermore it is a shame that they did not offer you earplugs which are free for light sleepers.
Apologies that we did not live up to your expectations this time around. The Sanctuary brand is certainly something we pride ourselves on and although not all of the rooms have a TV and ensuite, they do have the extra touches such as full-length mirrors, hair dryers, fresh towels and a free nightly glass of bubbly for each guest.
If you should visit Wanaka again please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure personally that your stay is comfortable and all smooth sailing!
Thank you ever so much for your feedback too.
Safe travels.
Darelle
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked at Base in Wanaka on Boxing Day via wotif.com as a last minute decision after having a particularly long and bad day. On arrival I was told that the room I had booked and paid for didn't actually exist as they were fully booked and wotif.com had not checked with them about their availability. Having being stuck in Wanaka alone with about 50kg of luggage, and having a horrible day, I proceeded to cry in despair at my impossible situation. The reception staff were amazing, and asked me to wait while they checked in a Kiwi Experience bus and would try and sort something for me once they could ascertain what space was available. In the end, I received the private ensuite room I had booked, which was clean and tidy and perfect for somewhere comfortable and private to stay for the night. The bar downstairs was a little noisy however as my window backed onto their courtyard, but other than that faultless. I would definitely recommend staying there again, the staff was amazing

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Hi there, Thank you for taking the time to leave a lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again :)