“Base Wanaka a place like home”

Base Backpackers Wanaka
Ranked #43 of 48 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Base Wanaka has to be your option if you are planning to head that way.
Is an excelent place to stay, where everyone is frendly, it has clean beds and a great kitchen!
Also is right next to the supermarket and near by everything!

Room Tip: If you are planning to travel with friends of by your own.. this is a great place to stay!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We were only here for a night when doing the kiwi experience but it did the trick. It had good facilitates however the kitchen was very small. Although for the price it probably isn't worth it as we found there isn't much to do in wanaka - so you may as well stay somewhere thats cheaper.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2014

To start with, I am not a huge fan of Base hostels, but this one was pretty decent. It has the sort of setup that you expect from the chain. The rooms are pretty good, and the location is great- just around the corner from the lake and right across from the Paradiso theater.

I did find the hallways a bit odd and confusing though. There are only two floors and the kitchen and bathrooms on the top floor were sort of hard to locate. Also, the kitchen is pretty small for the amount of people that need to use it. Overall though, I don't have much either positive or negative to say about the hostel. It's alright.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights.
It was a nice hostel, good location.
The room we had was nice and big with bathroom! They gave you towels.
The only bad thing was the heating doesn't start until 6pm and then it doesn't warm up that much. We were a bit cold as it snowed.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is a great hostel! Lawrence the receptionist was so helpful-and rather charming fellow. He helped sort out room upgrade and additional nights stay with ease and a pleasant smile. He is beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Darelle J, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Hi, Thanks for your review! I am pleased you like our hostel :) Thanks again, Darelle

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Spent a night here when I was on the kiwi experience. The room was good, a decent size for 6 people. The bar downstairs does really good food and loads of drinks offers which are great for backpackers. Also a really cool beer garden, definitely check it out!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Hi! Thanks for the review, Really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Safe travels :)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

When I first arrived at the hostel, everything went quite smoothly. Upon checking into my room however, it seemed to be one thing after another. To begin with, they requested that we keep our door open because there was a problem with the lock and everyone was having to have their key cards reset- didn't make me feel very comfortable to know that I had to leave my things in there while the door was open and anyone could have just wandered in. When it came to 1030pm, there were some girls that were talking and listening to music as if there was no one else in the room (6 of 10 people were trying to sleep) which was kind of a pain. That however wasn't really the fault of the hostel, but my blanket smelt like foul body oder. At this point reception was already closed, so there was nothing I could really do about it. I spent the night freezing because I slept with a sheet and my sweat shirt. The kitchen was pretty disgusting to cook in, with pretty tired looking equipment. The girl who came to clean it did a good job, however I think their fridges are due a good scrubbing, as they had a foul smell coming from them. The bathrooms were clean, and the picnic area outside of the kitchen overlooking the mountains was fantastic. All in all, due to the amount of negative criteria compared to the good, I don't think I would choose to stay here again - definitely some of the finer touches that are most important seemed to be overlooked.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Hi there, I am sorry to hear all of this. I can assure you we have just undertaken a major spring clean. If you are back in Wanaka again, please contact me directly on wanakagm@stayatbase.com , I will make sure you are looked after properly. Thanks.