“Great location”

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great location”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Awesome location, only 5 mins walk to just about all the shops in the Wanaka lakefront area.

Unfortunately our room was very cold, and the heating unit was pretty useless, as it was on some kind of thermostat and kept switching on and off, which was very noisy and we couldn't sleep with it on. Thank goodness for the electric blankets! I would have asked the owner to have a look, but it was very late by the time we got back to the room and I didn't want to disturb them.

Our room was next to the ski storage room, so was pretty noisy in the morning with everyone chattering as they gathered up their ski gear. There was also a lot of noise coming from the main road, the yelling and partying stopped around 3am. But I guess that's what you get with such a good proximity to town, and during the ski season!

Overall the room was ok, but next time I'd probably stay elsewhere. The owner I spoke to on checking in was lovely and friendly, very helpful. The room was a old size, and everything was very clean.

Room Tip: Don't get the room next to the ski storage room in ski season, if you want to sleep in.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tinzaroo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Me and my family stay here for 2 nights. The owner of this motel are very friendly and helpful. The motel are just 5 minutes away from the town. Paul was an awesome host. He went well out of his way to help us with informing us of places to visit, road conditions, directions etc. I would highly recommend the Bella Vista to anyone wishing to stay in Wanaka, & can't wait to return myself. Thanks for everything Paul :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Tewantin, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My family & I stayed in the Bella Vista in Wanaka for 3 nights. The central location was fantastic - within walking distance of shops, restaurants, banks etc. Our family room was huge, with more than enough room to cope with 4 people. Everything was spotless, & the rooms were well equipped with everything we required, from bedding to cooking utensils. Paul was an awesome host. He went well out of his way to help us with organising transport, & informing us of places to visit, road conditions, directions etc. I would highly recommend the Bella Vista to anyone wishing to stay in Wanaka, & can't wait to return myself. Thanks for everything Paul :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Wendy W
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My family and I had booked into the Bella Vista in Wanaka for two nights and can not rave enough about the fantastic location and the charming owners Paul & Denise. They were not only informative and friendly but went out of their way to help me with my plans to keep my 3 teenage children busy. Sure the rooms aren't huge but when you are staying in such a beautiful location why do you want to stay inside anymore than necessary anyway and surely informative and helpful hosts are more important. Personally I only stay at the Bella Vista motels as I now exactly what I am booking, the facilities are always modern and clean, the price reasonable and in Wanaka's case beyond the norm!!

Room Tip: As all Bella Vista's are 2 storey buildings - if you have lots of luggage or mobility problems a...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sarahgordo
Motueka, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I would just like to say what an enjoyable place Wanaka Bella Vista is to stay at. From upstairs you have an incredible view out over the lake and across to all the surrounding mountains. Our room was clean and tidy with a little kitchenette (one of the cheaper, more basic rooms but I understand others are available that are more "up there" with spa baths and fully catered kitchens etc), decent bathroom and a TV with Sky. The bed was comfy and we were given a small bottle of milk from reception which was a lot nicer than some places that only give you a couple of tiny tablespoon size tetra packs. The apartment was serviced each morning and the service from reception was excellent. Every effort was made to have our specific needs catered for. The local supermarket was just down the street and shops and restaurants were all within close walking distance. Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tiffany P
Oamaru, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Perfect location, so convenient, and happy hosts very helpful information for our trip too.We were made very welcome and stayed longer, the rooms were the cleanest we've stayed in and had excellent facilities and awsome shower and spa bath .

Room Tip: Superior spa studio.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Murray282
nonthaburi, thailand
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I can say that this is the worst motel that we stayed in New Zealand trip. it's not too bad but not up to standard of family unit for motel in New Zealnd. With Bella Vista's reputation and the price that we've paid, we expect more. We stay at family unit and stay only 4 adults but we've found that it's too small and this is the smallest unit that we stayed from the whole trip. Kitchen and master bed is too close.This is the only place that don't provide milk in the room - maybe you have to ask.

Good points - Bathroom is very big and location is very very good. Everything is in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family