“Quirky”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 February 2017

We have been travelling round NZ for a month...tonight was our last night and I am so pleased we found this place. OK a bit pricy, but no more than corporate hotel meals. My other half has filet steak...awesome, coked perfectly, I had the halloumi salad...WOW intense flavours...perfection on a plate, just what I wanted....good wines, great atmosphere away from the tourists ( ok I know that's us but hey ho!! )
If you want squeaky clean, neat, tidy, soulless don't eat here....if you want tasty, quirky and full of character this is the place for you.

If you want

1  Thank Sally O

Reviewed 25 January 2017 via mobile

Food was nice but the cost of the entrees at $15, small bowl of olives at $13, the mains available at $35-45 and wines at $12+ a glass felt way too much.

We chose a entree platter at $35 and a few entrees as the mains selection didn't appeal enough for the four of us attending for the mostly $40-$45 mains.

Waitress was lovely, helpful, cheerful and made the evening much nicer.

1  Thank jameslW9478ED
Reviewed 17 January 2017

Came around the corner on to the White House steps and thought it was closed for the season, the outside dining area could do with a bit more maintainence. Wasn't expecting much better inside, a few tables, patrons eating on bar.
At the bar I ordered my steak $45.00 as I waited with our group of 3 we drank at the bar, and got talking to other cuctomers who are out off towners that eat here requlary.
I got to really appreciate the place, it's obviously been here for along time which has,to be a testiment too the place with the changes to Wanaka in the last 50 years. The manager / owner was fantastic to talk with and had the whole bar engaged, hence every body was eating on it.
Then my steak came out it was a big fat juicy ribeye cooked perfectly. The ladies ate light mediterranean tapas like starters which they enjoyed. Great selection of wines.
I would describe the place abit quirky, with great food and a great atmosphere. The bill can get away on you if your not prepared.
The White House deserves the good reputation is has.

3  Thank Ddln001
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Awesome - seems pricy for mains but they are big enough for two people so get a mixture. Awesome vegetarian options. The bruschetta is amazing - everything is seasonal and fresh and very tasty.
Excellent wine list too with some unique offerings. Just need a NZ sparking wine option and not the Aussie rubbish on offer!

2  Thank WellingtonJoanna
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Hard case owner, very cool experience. Not your run of the mill flash restaurant but highly recommended. Food beer and wine all local!

3  Thank G3898FGnicka