“Exhilarating Experience”

Deep Canyon
Ranked #4 of 60 Tours in Wanaka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Deep Canyon canyoning adventures are a journey unlike any other! Get in touch with our beautiful natural world and see beauty you’ve only dreamed of. Experience the raw power inside the waterfalls contrasted with the tranquility of deep, forested pools; from sculptural rock-scapes to glowing green moss droplets, you will be immersed in a world you never knew existed. And talk about fun! Challenge yourself in ways you’ve never imagined. Plunge down water polished chutes and abseil down waterfalls. Jump off cliffs! Climb, swim and float through an amazing world of water- sculpted rock, deep clear pools and spectacular waterfalls. We specialise in hands-on trips with a high level of personal satisfaction and our focus is strongly on good humour! Amazing places, interesting challenges, friendly people and Great Big Fun!
Reviewed 29 January 2014

After being strongly recommended to try out Niger Stream by Rough Guides and reading all the wonderful reviews on TripAdvisor, I booked a day trip with Deep Canyon. I had never done anything of the sort before, was afraid of heights and did not have the best swimming abilities. Even so, it turned out to one of my most memorable highlights while in New Zealand. Anna, our guide, gave us insightful commentary along the way and made sure we understood clearly what we needed to do. In no part of the trip did I feel unsafe. Not only was canyoning fun, the scenery was stunning as well - whether it was the view along the drive to Niger Stream, from the top of the mountain or the emerald pools of the canyon. Lastly, the other Anna (Robins) helped me out tremendously. She resent to me all the photos of the trip that I had purchased but had accidentally deleted from my computer!!! Thank you Deep Canyon for this wonderful and unforgettable experience!

1  Thank Wayne1031

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We did the 'Leaping Burn' canyon with Anna on boxing day 2013. It was a fantastic experience! I was extremely nervous when we started but our excellent guide Anna made me feel very safe and was very patient with me as I got my confidence. Everything is provided (wet suits, booties, gloves, helmets, shoes) and each abseil or jump was explained very clearly. It was also good that there were different options for each stage - you could abseil or jump from different levels depending on how daring you were! I loved this canyon and can't recommend it enough - looking forward to doing another one next time I am in Wanaka.

1  Thank rez16
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Thank you Craig for an awesome adventure on the Big Niger! We loved every moment and felt safe with your guidance. We will never forget it!

Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I ran Niger Stream for our honeymoon. We're semi-adventurous and weren't going to New Zealand to sit around watching sunsets. But we're in our 30's and weren't about to jump off the Skytower either.

You still need to be in moderate shape for canyoning. You'll hike up a hill with your gear. You'll absail and belay and pull yourself up a rockface with a rope. But you'll be rewarded with what's essentially a 4-hour natural waterslide like nothing else.

Our guide Mike made all the difference. He took time explaining and demonstrating, and you get a chance to test your skills before you start, so no experience necessary. He had a great personality and you could tell he just loved his job. He even took pictures and video with a waterproof camera - one of our few sets of actions shots during our whole trip.

If you're looking for something different and exciting but not completely insane, this may just be it.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Our young teenage boys picked this event out for us and we had no idea what to really expect. Unlike other activities this one was really personal, our guide Holly was fantastic. She went out of her way to help the boys through all the abseils and challenges of the day. The first waterside was truly terrifying and something I will never forget. If you have time for only one activity in Wanaka then this is the one to do. The scenery is amazing the abseils, slides and jumps heart-stopping but great fun - we are still laughing about it today