“Good clean place with nice vibe”

Mountain View Backpackers Wanaka
Ranked #15 of 45 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Derby
“Good clean place with nice vibe”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Myself and my partner stayed here in a twin room for 1 night.

The room was basic and contained 2 sets of single bunkbeds, a wardrobe and heating. The room was slightly damp as the carpet had just been cleaned but this is a good thing I guess and we just made sure we put our stuff on the spare set of double beds.

The kitchen area was fully equipped, 2 sets of hobs (4 rings each) and everything else you may need. We did our washing here and also used the dryer for a reasonable price.

There was a computer in the main area which was basic but you can access the internet so that´s fine. Also in the shared area was a log burning fire a couple of sofas and a TV. It was nice to relax in this cozy setting and watch a movie with other travellers.

The hostals location was good, not far from the supermarket and nearby to a hike up Iron Mountain (I think it was called) which was recommended by the hostel staff and was beautiful. the views from the living area were great as you are surrounded by mountains hence the name of the hostel I guess!!

The bathroom was clean with hot showers but a bit of a strange set up as the showers (2 if I recall) had thin partition walls and if you touched them by accident they would shake but it was all fine, they werent going to fall down or anything so dont worry!

I remember the hostel owners being very friendly and helpful with recommendations.

Only very slight downside was that the noise caried in the hostal and I found it hard to sleep initially with the TV from the common area and doors in the corridor banging but that is not the hostels fault more the other inconsiderate people staying there. Ear plugs did the job.

Likes:

Sofa Area
Views
Helpfull Staff
Nice relaxed vobe

Dislikes:

A little noisy

Room Tip: Maybe locate yourself further away from the kitchen to minimise the noise of people coming through t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cantwait2holiday

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 11 May 2013

I've stayed in a 6 bed room, which was extremely small and I wasn't sure where to put my stuff as it would be in the way. The mattresses are good but the bunk bed cheap. The room has had two doors, one glass sliding door which was a pain as it didn’t slide smoothly and one to access bathrooms and showers. However if that door to the bathroom facilities is locked there is no way out unless other dorm rooms are unlocked... Instead of putting those bulky cupboards in the rooms, lockers would have been a better option, to at least secure some personal stuff as often the doors weren’t locked. The kitchen/lounge was quite small for the numbers of people who actually stay in that hostel, but apart from that it’s alright. The view outside the huge window in the lounge is nice as well as from the "garden". There is only one bloody washing machine and dryer in the whole hostel and only to be used after 12pm or similar time. The hostel owner seems to be ok, but I didn’t get much the impression that he likes travellers and runs the hostel just for a business reason not to get much involved with the people, which is a shame. It was the first time during my whole time of travelling throughout the world that I wasn’t allowed to stay inside the hostel area once I’ve checked out, which was quite uncomfortable as I was just reading a book in the lounge. I was asked to leave and to return to pick up my luggage which he was happy to store or to pay another night. This was really odd. The internet wifi usage was quite expensive as well. I won’t stay there again.

Happy travels :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank biggiboss
Xalapa, Mexico
Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

In general was a good place, but not the best (neither close to being it).
Is clean and staff is nice, but it seems as if they want to charge you for everything.
There is NO free wifi acces, you have to pay for it, and you can't stay afte your ckeck out, otherwise you are charged with 10dls.
Wanaka is really small so it is easy to get any place, the ubication is good.
And the rest of the people there is always really nice.

• Stayed May 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We were welcome by the friendly staff and he showed us to our 6 person sharing room, OMG it was disaster as the other guests were putting their stuffs in our bed ! The room was extremely messy ! He apologized to us and luckily there is a 4 bedroom available just top up 3 dollar and we were happy with the rooom, with friendly roommates who are much more educated and considerate than the young peoples in 6 sharing room. The bed is one of the most comfortable bed during my stay in NZ, so, top up a bit and enjoy the sleepy would be a better choice. The staffs also recommended us to walk up to the hilltop nearby to have the view of wanaka. Only disadvantages is the cooking area is a bit small maybe you need to be there early to cook if not everybody will just occupy the cooking area and will be a long wait.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I loved that backpackers. The staff is really nice, rooms are clean and the common area is really cosy. Nice garden area with lake's view! Good location: few minutes away from DOC, supermarket, lake, cinema and shops!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Leivileivi
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2012

This backpackers has a very homely feel which is quite nice. The owner who checked us in and out was quite friendly to us. It appeared that he and his wife ran the place together and we observed them working really hard around the place to keep the place up. The owner recommended a hike to us and we really enjoyed it :)

There was a really nice outdoor area and garden that we enjoyed sunbathing in and had our dinner in :)

A few issues I had with it though:

-The rooms were very cramped.
-The kitchen was not very clean
-You can only rent movies before 8pm, which is annoying when you decide you want to watch one at night but cant because there are no staff manning the office after that time.
-The couches were old and one of them was really badly cushioned that my friend hurt his coccyx bone on it when he sat done (picture below).

I enjoyed my stay here overall but for the price, I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 9 December 2012

I would have given this hostel top reviews if it wasn't for the rude and very, very unhelpful staff and owners, because it was a really good hostel - clean and tidy, nice rooms, comfy beds, a big TV with loads of DVDs and a nice, relaxed atmosphere. Although we had a little incident which they handeled very badly, therefore the low rating:

When we checked in, the girl in the reception looked bored and was more interested in the TV than us. We got one key to share (we are two girls) but she charged us two key deposits ($20 each) for it. We thought it was a bit strange, but assumed that was the way they had it. As we were tired we went to bed pretty much straight away and didnt think more about that. The next morning it was the manager himself checking us out, and we got one key deposit back. I told him nicely that we had payed two deposits, and without really listening he just said 'no,you payed one cos you only had one key'. I tried to explain that we actually had payed two and it might have been cos the girl in the reception last night was a bit distracted by the telly. He didnt believe me, got really rude, called us names and accused me of trying to steal the $20 from them. This was at the point we had had enough and left. Before we left i told him i was dissappointed in the way they had handeled the situation and that i was gonna write a review about it. He then said he was gonna look up my name and write bad stuff about me on internet.

The only thing i can say is that this guy shouldnt run a hostel, and i wouldnt recommend this hostel until they change owners.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends