“The perfect fishing guide”

Southern Rivers Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Get the most from your precious time in this fly fishing paradise that surrounds Wanaka and the lower South Island. Guide Jake at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing has vast local knowledge of the lower South Island rivers and lakes. Jake is known as an expert in sighting trout and prides him self on his ability to spot trout in what can be very challanging water, this is crucial to your success when fly fishing New Zealand waters. Jake’s boundless passion, skill and enthusiasm for fly fishing the South Island’s trout rivers will take you a long way toward your dream New Zealand fly fishing experience.
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Coming to the lovely country of New Zealand, with the luck of flying into Queenstown airport on a crystal clear sunny day, meeting a lot of friendly people, mine and my son’s expectations successively rose to a very high level. Nevertheless, ending up in the helpful hands of the perfect fishing guide, Jacob Berry surpasses any expectations.
By his thorough planning and preparations everything was destined to become an unforgettable experience. However, even the best of preparations are not enough when the weather actually turns out to be too good! The river we were to fish in for three days was very low with a rising temperature. Fish were gathering at the bottom of the bigger pools, where lack of oxygen contributed to their reduced activity.
After half a day of fishing – actually with some fish on – Jake quickly decided to move to another of his favorite waters. He very effectively rearranged the complete guiding setup. The hours spent in extra travelling were worth every single second! When we finally arrived at the “back-up” river, we realized we were in trout heaven.
The two days of fishing under Jake’s guidance was one of the best fishing experiences I ever had in my soon 40 years of fly fishing. To share this with my son definitely brought another dimension to it.
Jake is a very humble person, but yet still quite demanding when it comes to his guest’s performance by the water. In my opinion he has a superb way of adapting his guiding to the actual conditions. This goes for both his ability of reading the water as well as reading the persons he guides.
Jake spots the fish, designs a strategy on where to position his pupil, delivers full instructions on how to present the fly and finally he informs you when the fish slowly rises to inspect and hopefully take your fly. I can still hear his “try that length”, “coming up..coming up” and “YES!!!”.
Both I and my son landed some amazing, beautifully conditioned trout in sizes from 5 lb to 7 lb. I doubt we would have caught any of these without the help of Jake.
Altogether we had a wonderful time with Jake. We would never hesitate to fish with him again if opportunity comes. We give him our highest recommendations.
MANY THANKS!!!
Gunnar and Gustav, Sweden

2  Thank DrGunta
Jake-SRFlyFishing, Owner at Southern Rivers Fly Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Gunnar and Gustav thank you guys for the special trip also. I am happy that we did what we had to do to get you guys a fantastic experience here in NZ. It was a special trip and one to remember. You both fished well and it was a real pleasure as alway to share what I love with people who respect it as much as I do. I look forward to your return one day soon and look forward to showing you some new and equally rewarding wilderness trout fishing. Thanks.

Jake.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

My friend and I have fished in many different countries and throughout the US and with many different guides, but can't remember when we have had such a professional, friendly and knowledgable guide as Jacob. We found lots of fish, saw great scenery, visited interesting pubs, had good food and, did I mention, found lots of fish. He provided whatever gear we needed as well as the right flies. It was a real pleasure to fish with him and we look forward to going back to New Zealand and the Queenstown area and catching more fish with Jacob.
Thanks
Dick Dworsky- Anchorage, Alaska

1  Thank richard d
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Difficult to articulate what a great experience this was but i'll have a go:

1. The scenery: breathtaking. Went for the heli option. The day before we fished we drove about an hour from Wanaka, stayed in a small lodge, then a half hour drive the following morning to the helicopter, which dropped us off in this very remote valley. No sign of anything man made. Just mountains, forest, and gin clear water. Was remarkable. I really didn't realise places this remote and stunning still existed.

2. The fishing: exceptional. Where we landed the water was very very calm and clear. I was a bit concerned because your first cast at a fish is the only chance you get because they are all so wild and get spooked very easily. However, there was a lot of river to cover and no shortage of fish. Although still extremely challenging, as the day went on and you get in your stride it becomes less difficult. The fishing is very much like hunting/stalking. We were wearing hiking boots/waterproofs and where we couldn't go round the banks we just waded upstream. Because of the clearness of the water you were always fishing at fish as opposed to just chucking your fly in. Great variety as well, ie fishing from the centre of the river and both banks, crouching behind logs etc, fishing with dry-flys or nymphs.

3. The guide, Jake: a top man and a real professional. He really helped with my casting and other areas where I needed to improve. I was getting fairly frustrated with myself as lost about 5 fish before lunch (9 throughout the day!). I'm not a great fisherman, but am passionate about it, and he knew exactly how to calm it down a bit and has a cracking sense of humour. Soon after lunch caught a beautiful 5.5 lb brownie. He later really stretched me when I thought a fish was out of my casting range. Thankfully he made me stick at it and after a hell of a fight we landed another great brownie, this time 6.5lb.

You can tell Jake genuinely wants you to do well, and he gets huge satisfaction out of this. He knows his fishing and the area inside out and when you give him a budget, you can be assured he will get the very best fishing for you. If this is your passion really don't hesitate in booking something with Jake, and I strongly recommend the heli options as it just means you can get to places which are that much more secluded - waters that have perhaps barely been fished. Thanks Jake for a really memorable day.

1  Thank ChasL02
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My highest recommendation to Jake Berry of Southern Rivers Fly Fishing! I fished with him several times, including a heli trip across the Southern Alps to the remote west of the South Island. I have fly fished for more than 35 years in the western United States and once for a couple of months in Patagonia, Argentina; but never have I had a finer fly fishing experience. Jake showed me the special tricks needed to 'stalk' and catch the magnificent trout in those spectacularly beautiful rivers. Unforgettable are the many brown and rainbow trout we caught (all more than 4 pounds), Jake's infectious enthusiasm, or the great fun we had!

1  Thank Steve71545
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The picture of the completely geeked out fish bum holding that 10lb brown trout is me (Ok so it was 9.5, but who's counting:)

I've been flyfishing all over the world for 15 years now, finally got the opportunity to see what stalking New Zealand brown trout was all about. I've been with literally hundreds of guides in my time and Jake from Southern Rivers flyfishing is top notch. I know it's stressful searching for that right guide for such a big trip, but you don't need to look any further.

Me being a younger chap in my 30's, and new owner of a fly shop in Montana, was a bit nervous about finding someone that will simply just get after it ALL DAY, none of this 9-4 business, after all that plane ticket is steep!

Not more than 4 hours off the plane I was watching my first very large brown trout airshow three times whilst trying to spit the hopper we fooled it with. Didn't see another angler the whole trip, caught several 5-8 pound browns, that ONE of a lifetime pushing 10lbs. The scenery is so spectacular the fishing almost takes a back seat.

Not only is Jake a great guide, but one of the best people you'll meet. He is very patient and he has a very unique personality that meshes with people of all ages. He knows very private spots that don't see anglers and will put you on fish. Jake and I still keep in touch, proud to call him a friend.

Mike Dewey