Zula Lodge
  • Restaurant
The Moorings(Wanaka)
Lakeside Apartments(Wanaka)
View Hotel
All reviewsplace to staynew zealandwarm hospitalityeasy accesscomfortable bedsfacilitiesbackpackerskitchenloungezulukarentvsheetsqueenstownlake
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Friendly and helpful managers, Darryl and Tania. I enjoy the days staying here very much! It is a relaxing place with great facilities and high level of cleanness. Hundreds of books, DVDs, large TV and board games, always having fun and never feel boring. Surrounding areas are beautiful and the location is good. Lovely dog, fat cat and chicken too! Having good memories to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived to a warm, clean & inviting place to stay. The children had a great time tearing about the large lawn, riding their bikes around Albert Town & swinging on the rope swing. We also very much enjoyed the managers Darryl & Tania, who again were very useful with their local knowledge. There is some great biking tracks from the Lodge. The bike out to Lake Hawea is great! Good coffee shop also there. We met some great people here while staying here. Still a fab place for families & groups.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Albert Town Lodge when we first reached Otago. We pulled in late at night after a long drive in search of a place to rest our heads and call our base for a week.

Without a booking, we were still warmly welcomed by the owner Tania. I was pleased that despite It being nearly 9pm she still took the time to greet us.

We had been recommended to stay here and could immediately see why. The kitchen is large and well stocked with sinks, prep areas, kitchen cutlery and food storage areas. The lounge and dining areas are also large and the lounge area especially is very comfortable, with Sky TV and a large array of books, DVD's and children's games.

Outside, Tania and her husband Darryl keep the gardens and flower beds beautifully manicured. The back garden area is a great suntrap to sunbathe, use their gas BBQ, and children can use the trampoline, swings and play frame.

We hired bikes and went to the nearby Clutha river for a picnic and dipped our toes in the water, great for cooling off in the beautiful weather.

We felt so welcomed by the owners that we stayed for a lot longer than we originally planned.

The location is great. Just 10 short minutes to the centre of Wanaka but you feel a million miles away from the madness of peak season.

This place is a little gem that I cannot recommend enough.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This has been one of my favouite places I've been in New Zealand: I booked just two nights in this lodge and honestly I didn't really have hight expectations but i ended up staying more than two weeks!
I was planning to spend just few days in the Wanaka area but the location, the warm hospitality of Tania and Darryl and the really cosy lodge made me change mind. The lodge it's just 5 minutes driving out of Wanaka and 10 minutes to the beautiful Lake Hawea. Lots of activities such as biking (great tracks!), hiking and fishing are a the door steps and Tania is always helpful with hints and tips about thinghs to do in the area.
The lodge is very clean and Tania and Darryl are always providing a great service to make sure all the guests are comfortable and happy. The lounge is spacious and cosy, with a nice fireplace, a big TV and a kids area, the kitchen and the bathrooms are always clean and tidy while the garden - with a nice BBQ - is large and well kept. I was staying in a "dorm" room which was much better than an average hostel room, always warm and tidy.
I will definitely stay there again next time I'll visit New Zealand!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Matt M
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a night in this lodge during January because (I confess) there was no place any more within Wanaka (due to a sport event). This lodge suffers from its remotness from downtown (thats why it is not the first lodge advised by the iSite), but we were so lucky and happy to discover this place!! It is in a quiet area and it is HUGE, you can make use of the huge living room with several tables, the huge kitchen where you can find absolutely EVERYTHING! (from the panini press to the carrot slicer!!), or you can watch a movie (tons of DVDs) on the big screen or read one of the hundreds of books at your disposal sat in a confortable sofa!! Or either you can enjoy the sun in the garden outside, or jump on the trampoline!
In brief, this place was so wonderful that we changed our trip back to the north island in order to pass again two more days at Tanya's.
We really warmly recommend you this fantastic place!
Good travelling!