“An easy walk with great views”
Review of Mount Iron Track

Mount Iron Track
Ranked #8 of 79 things to do in Wanaka
More attraction details
Owner description: Always check the website for changes that might affect your trip.
Reviewed 27 April 2014

So long as you're moderately fit, this is an easy walk that can be done in less than the 1.5 hours recommended -- but the views are great, so you'll want to use your extra time taking photos! I think this would be a great one to do if you had kids with you, though for myself, I would have liked something a bit more challenging even better. (If you're not fit, the uphill part of the journey might be a challenge, but still worth it.)

1  Thank Beppie K
"dog walkers"
in 6 reviews
"steep climb"
in 20 reviews
"great views from the top"
in 8 reviews
"surrounding mountains"
in 14 reviews
"lake hawea"

Reviewed 26 April 2014

There was heavy wind, my asthma was bad, then two dogs just jumped on me from behind startling me, they were being friendly of course. I was on my own so I decided to walk back three quarters of the way up, I would have completed to the top if I had company. I did take some pictures on the way up and back.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

stretch your legs on this quick trip to the top where you can get some great views when you get there so dont forget your camera

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The walk took us just over an hour with the uphill bit taking longer. It was a pretty constant uphill but definitely worth it for the view from the top. A pretty popular walk for locals with dogs as we saw many on our way up and down.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I thought this sounded like a gentle hike!!! Not so gentle, quite steep in places but very good tracks. I am pretty fit, so didn't find it difficult, but I certainly worked up a sweat! We went clockwise up which took 40 mins as my hubby kept stopping to look at all the warbirds with his binoculars! Spectacular views both on the way up and down and the view from the top is incredible. Well worth the hike up. Make sure you take water as you will need it. The surprise for me was the amount of rabbit poo that was around. Didn't see any but the holes they dig and their poop is everywhere.