“Simply First Rate ...”
Review of Hatch Fly Fishing

Hatch Fly Fishing
More attraction details
Owner description: Backcountry fly fishing specialist Craig Smith has been fishing New Zealands South Island for over 30 years, and will take you to his favorite places fly fishing for brown and rainbow trout. All equipment is supplied, and all skill levels are welcome. Sight fishing in clear water to wild trout amongst stunning scenery - it's what it is all about. Registered NZ professional guide and Department of conservation concession holder.
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I have been fishing with Craig on three occasions since 2012 .He has shown great patience in teaching me from a complete novice to now being a competent angler . I would highly recommend Craig to any one thinking of doing some fishing ... he is a first rate teacher, an exceptional guide and knowledge of area is outstanding .. and you will have a great time as Craig is also good company !

Reviewed 2 March 2014

As an absolute novice I was a bit nervous as Craig drove toward...not the water but a park. Here's where you're going to learn how to catch a big one," he said as we arrived at a local park about 15 minutes from Wanaka. And he was spot on. After about 90 minutes he had me casting, stripping line, double casting and side casting, all in preparation for a full day on the lake.
We drove out to a tiny bay on Lake Hawea which is near Lake Wanaka and set up at the edge of the water. "There, cast right of him." He had spotted what looked to be a good size brown trout trout. With a cicada fly I I did cast and it landed right where I aimed. "Get ready, he's coming." and he took the fly and was off to the races. "Strip line, rod tip up." and I did my very best but too much slack meant he got away. "Don't worry, I've never seen a first cast land a fish before but there are plenty more in these waters."
Before the day was over I did land a BIG one and what a thrill it was. Craig was an exceptional guide, calming when my technique went awry and teaching me how to spot, cast into the wind and deal with current. He was great and so was my first experience fly fishing. I'll be back!

1  Thank jboys8
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I had the pleasure of fishing with Craig for 2 days this January. Day one: stalking monster trout using a new technique (for me anyway) emerging damsel flies in the weed edges...(I have been fishing for years and Craig showed me new tricks and presentations that i will use on my home waters). Day two: my wife joined me and Craig was super helping her catch fish and improve her fly casting. We had a banner day fishing a medium sized stream loaded with browns in the middle of nowhere! Craig is super patient, friendly and clearly 100% plugged into the south island fishing scene. He can arrange all kinds of access and fun bonus trips like hell fishing which i am keen to try next time i go to NZ...

1  Thank GBB1968
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Highly recommend fly fishing with Craig. My wife and I (a relative novice and a complete novice) caught multiple and large fish and had a wonderful experience in the beautiful countryside. Large river fishing one day with more brown trout than I can ever recall seeing (or catching!) and small back country river fishing the next - more challenging, but really great fun and rewarding. Craig certainly knows his stuff and where the fish are likely to be feeding. Not only that, but he was great company, so the day was enjoyable on many fronts. Will definitely be back.

1  Thank Sydneysiders5960
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Craig - what a great bloke.

We spent the full day with him last week as he happily (and patiently) showed two beginners the method of fly fishing. We started out practicing our casting in a park near Wanaka before shortly moving out onto the rivers where we spent the remainder of the day (we caught a decent sized rainbow trout which was awesome). We had such a terrific day and both learnt more than we thought possible. Craig was able to fit us in after we called him the pervious evening at 7pm. If you want to have a great day fishing with what feels like a mate who you've know for years as your guide, give this a go.

Cheers Craig, Ben and I had an awesome day and we'll definitely look you up next time we're in town.

1  Thank Jono D