“Hawea Flat!”

Federal Diner
Ranked #17 of 79 Restaurants in Wanaka
Cuisines: Cafe, New Zealand, Contemporary
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
“Hawea Flat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Late lunch. At 3:00pm it was still busy but service was fast and friendly. I had the Hawea Flat small meal. I was worried that it was Flat Bread as I don't do much bread. But turns out it is named after a nearby location. Dish was based on Spinach and Polenta and absolutely delicious! Beth had Lone Ranger which was a Flash Ciabatta Bread Chicken Sandwich. Too much for her, so bagged half of it for later.
I can understand why this place is so popular, nice friendly people and great food. What else do you need?

Visited July 2014

Port Macquarie, Australia
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Lovely open yet cosy cafe in a sunny corner off the main street in Wanaka. I had the vegetarian breakfast burger and my husband had the eggs benny with REAL salmon. We both tried their famous cheese scone which was delicious!
Service was prompt and friendly.
The only bad thing is that we discovered this cafe on our last morning so weren't able to visit again :( Perhaps they could better advertise.

Visited July 2014
“Good coffee and atmosphere but food not so great :(”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hidden away little place was very busy with locals and visitors alike. I'd heard their scones were amazing and there coffee pretty good too and I wasn't disappointed with my almost perfect flat white coffee. We waited a while for our food but that was understandable considering every table was full and the friendly waitresses were helpful and accommodating with our order. The sandwiches and soup served to other tables looked amazing but my burger dispite it's good looks was bland, tasteless and a little burnt. A new recipe for beef patties is deff needed and the cook should have picked up and corrected the lack of taste n flavour when prepping the menu. I would reccomended this place for coffee and service and i havent tried the rest of the menu so i cant comment but don't bother with the burgers. Overall this wouldn't be a place I'd reccomend to friends or be keen to return to which is sad because its such a nice little cafe!

• Visited July 2014
“Great cafe. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic casual busy cafe. Food wonderful. Flavours well thought out. Lovely slow roasted tomatoes underneath organic bacon and eggs and plenty of perfect hollandaise. Served on scrumptious bread. Delicious coffee.
Very busy every time we went. Noisy and service not fast but with free Internet and very friendly staff all is forgiven. A place to return to and the winner for breakfast in wanaka.

“Great place for coffee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

A friend and I have a standing coffee date every Monday morning, and we usually come here. It's not that easy to find if you don't know where it is, but worth looking for. They have highchairs for the littlies, and great coffee. Only downside is that there is not much room between tables - I would strongly discourage anyone from trying to bring a pram in here (as I discovered myself).
I think the fact that we keep coming back, in a small town with lots of coffee shops, is testament to how good it is.

• Visited June 2014