“Great spot”

Urban Grind
Ranked #18 of 79 Restaurants in Wanaka
Price range: US$7 - US$19
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, New Zealand, International
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Great spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

We have been in Wanaka over the Easter period and tried most establishments for coffee. To my tastes the Urban Grind was the best in town plus good friendly service and an added bonus of good craft beers on tap. The cheese scones were to die for.
We had one meal there which was ok but not outstanding.
The management needs special mention for not imposing the 15% surcharge on public holidays! One of the biggest rip offs happening in the resturant/cafe scene in NZ.
We'll be back

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ettalong Beach, Australia
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I walked all through town and looked in at many other restaurants before selecting the Urban Grind.

I had the roast duck and it was cooked to perfection (one of my favourites ). The menu was quite varied with lots of choice. The table next to us ordered some pizza's which looked really nice.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was pleasant and modern.

I returned the next morning and the place was really hopping. We ordered some takeaway coffee and it was perfect. I am really glad we stumbled into the Urban Grind. I will certainly return if I go back to Wanaka!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Keithsutt
Auckland, New Zealand
“50/50 good to average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We dropped in for breakfast, and the coffee was great, one of the breakfasts was also excellent.

However my breakfast was inedible. I don't know whether this was just my personal taste, and perhaps the breakfast came the way it was supposed to be.

I ordered the Spanish Eggs, which on the surface of it sounds great, but it was oily beyond belief. The food was literally swimming in fat/oil. I would have raised the issue had someone checked, but no one did, I left the plate three-quarters untouched, which I would have thought would have triggered a "how was everything" upon collection - however it only triggered a "are you finished".

As I said, perhaps that is how it is supposed to come, and if that is the case then it is purely down to my personal tastes and bad ordering on my behalf - just be aware of the oil when you come to order.

• Visited April 2014
UrbanG_12, Manager at Urban Grind, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
I'm sorry you did not enjoy your meal. Our Spanish Baked eggs are the most popular breakfast dish on our menu. Although very popular in Melbourne, Sydney and now Auckland, I can understand that you did not know what baked eggs are and were surprised with your selection. I can assure you that the only oil that is used is olive oil in the sautéing of the onions. No other oil is added in this authentic Mediterranean dish.
“Great value and craft beer selection ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Good food, nice atmosphere, service can be better but it was ok. The prices were fair and the craft beer selection very good. The wine list is commercial and has no charm. We will be back.

Sunshine Coast
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

WE stopped and had a great steak sandwich and sat out the front on the bench area which looks down the street and down towards the lake. Excellent

Visited March 2014