“Good comfortable accommodation.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 47 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Ferntree Gully, Australia
“Good comfortable accommodation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This motel style unit was quite large, with a separate bedroom. The room was spotlessly clean and comfortable, with all the expected amenities. The Motor Homes are kept very separate from the remainder of the accommodation here, but the park does seem to have adequate amenities and plenty of room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I think it's such a shame that the owners of these sites can't see that they are losing continued custom via word of mouth, the simple fact is that people pay good money and expect therefore a good standard.
We had just the one night and we felt that it was in desperate need of a clean and decorate, and we were in a camper!
The kitchen is a good size, but absolutely nothing whatsoever in there to cook with or use, not even a teaspoon.
There is one huge plus, they had hot high pressure water in the shower, a major improvement on sooo many other sites.

Russell, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

OK - I suppose if you book a room (or rooms) in a holiday park you do not expect a 5 star hotel - and I never do. I book these rooms/units etc because they are usually good value for money, have full kitchen or cooking facilities and I can park my car right outside...

In that regard this one was no exception - though that's when it more or less stops. I booked our unit for 3 people - got there and there was only a double bed in the bedroom... hm - back to reception and oh really? We are full but could move you tomorrow but until then you have to sleep on the couch.. ok - where is the bedding for that? Oh there is a cupboard in the unit - in there.

No problem - so I made my couch every night - though right outside our room where two rollaway beds.. funny - I think they just forgot to make one of those up..

Otherwise the room was nice - clean and big kitchen, small table - hard to fit 3 people on it - Wifi - very expensive but I think that is not their fault as in small town NZ Wifi is generally very expensive.

The best thing about this park is that it's on the road into Mt Aspen National Park and towards some great walks - try the Diamond Lakes Walks - right up to the top of the mountain there..

The Park is huge - I think best for people with tents and campervans - not so much for the units and cabins - though there are a few of those.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book that you know what room / bed configuration there is
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ho Co Minh City
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

To be fair, the views were good the rooms were clean and the staff were nice.
I would not recommend this place only because of the feeling of impunity implied by a strict half hour limit in the single hot tub, the expensive WiFi and the rude sign posted in our kitchen threatening a fee if we didn't wash our dishes. A note like that makes me feel like I'm back in elementary school learning how to be a good citizen, not a feeling I enjoy as a guest in a motel.
You can find better places to stay that are friendlier, just as nice and cheaper to boot!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Wanaka hotels

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We stayed in a power site up top of park and had the most wonderful views out to the lake .The sites and lots of space and were not jammed in. We also had friends in a unit which looked warm and comfortable and looked to be refurbished not so long ago. The shower block had 5 showers in the males and were all brand new and my wife said that there was new showers in the womans also. When checking in we were greeted with a smile and the staff were move than helpful with explaining what we could do in Wanaka .We cant complain
we had a wonderful stay

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed just the one night and didn't use the camp kitchen or facilities unless we had to. Everything old and run down. (a broken mirror in men's bathroom had been broken three weeks already) Place definitley not up to franchise standards and is urgent need of renovation.

Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

I've toured around New Zealand now for almost 4 months, I've been all over the North Island and all over the west coast of the South Island. This place has got to be the worst Top 10 I've visited yet. It should be kicked out of the top 10 brand because it's not what you'd expect when you pay a premium for the top 10 parks. Men and Womens showers and toilets are run down. A grand total of 2 showers for the men and 2 for the women for the ENTIRE park. There's waterpipes in the toilet mended from leaks with masking tape, there's hooks broken off one of the doors of the mens shower. The other shower has two hooks on the back of the door but each hook is of a different style - everywhere you look this campsite is just a hotch potch job. The kitchen is small and has no cupboards .. there is communal frying pans and pots but since there's no cupboards this stuff is just strewn all over the place. There's only IAC internet available and for the majority of my stay it didn't work (it wasn't user error it simply didn't work .. I tried on two phones as well as a laptop AND ipad). The powered site plots around the tent grounds are very poorly marked and not level at all. Whilst staying on one rainy night we had people park between our site and the site next to us (i.e. inbetween two marked sites)... that same night another person squeezed in to the site beside us - so basically 4 separate groups of people squeezed in to 2 "marked" sites. Were they meant to be there? I don't know but I wouldn't blame them because most of the plot numbered signs are barely legible. Even thou the sites are grassy the quality of the grass is very poor - all the grass is burnt/dead so it ends up coming in to your van/tent. It gets very muddy here if it's raining. It's also pretty far (around 3-4km) from Wanaka town centre. You're much better off going to the lakeview campgrounds.. better location ,better facilities and cheaper too, even if you're a top ten member! I stupidly booked this place for 2 nights running.. waiting for our 2nd night to run out now so we can move elsewhere because this place just isn't worth it. We should have known this place was going to be a bad apple when we saw the broken down Top 10 vehicle just inside the main entrance - it looks like it hasn't moved in years. This campsite is a disgrace to the top 10 brand. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.