“Friendly staff, great support, comfortable stay”

and 1 more site!
Matterhorn South Lodge and Backpackers
Ranked #42 of 48 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I was in Wanaka for two weeks to ski, and found my room at the Matterhorn South to be warm and cozy in the New Zealand winter. I stayed in the lodge and used the common kitchen. The cooking facilities were adequate, and I never felt rushed or over-crowded. My room, linens, etc. were all excellent. In fact the duvet was better (warmer, softer, fluffier) than the one in the much fancier hotel where I stayed in Queenstown.
The location is fantastic: a block from The Cinema Paradisio and Francesca's pizza; two blocks from the super market and the lake. Almost everything in Wanaka is less than 5 minutes walk away.
Karen and Donna are great. I had known Karen from a previous stay at the motel across the road. What a treat it was to find that she is managing the Matterhorn. She "gets right on it" and responds to any issues. This is definitely my first choice for economy lodging in Wanaka.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms face either the inner court or the parking lot. In the winter, both sides have about equ...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank N_skier

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We are backpackers but decided to stay in a lodge room. It was very average compared to all the other hostels we stayed in. It could use some updates in the linen and kitchen supplies. The kitchen seemed very old and worn and pots and pans were dirty. A dishcloth in the kitchen would be helpful so people can wipe down the counter. The sponges were gross and had been there for a long time. The lounges were decent and the location is perfect. The customer service was a bit rushed by one woman but great by the other. We wouldn't stay here again as the price did not match our experience. We loved Wanaka and hope to return but will likely stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nat9Toronto
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Hi, i came to stay with my 4month old son for a night; his first taste of Hostel life (one that both Mommy and Daddy can highly recommend!) In fact, we stayed in this very place when we first fell pregnant early last Winter and i was super crook returning from a mammoth road trip from Golden Bay. Even then, we were very Welcome and Warm; two things we humans can only hope for as we set out to explore the other side of the World!
During my recent stay (daddy had to work so it was just the two of us ;)) many of the guests were super impressed/helpful/sweet towards my being there with the little fella and that to me meant everything; both he and i rested very well that night. Plus, i couldn't quite finish my yummy Pizza from nearby 'Kai' that night and early the next morning as i made some tea, i smiled to see it STILL there where i left it! PIZZA i tell you!
Donna, THANKYOU! You help sail a stunning ship and for that we are eternally grateful!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2013

I stayed for several nights in this friendly small hostel. The backpackers part has a cosy wooden theme. The dining area and small lounge had a nice fireplace which helped create a good atmosphere, where guests gathered round and chatted.
Although the hostel is clean, it could do with a spruce up and some redecoration. There was a persistant smell in the kitchen of rotten oranges, which I and others were not able to source. The kitchen was regularly and obviously cleaned, which was positive. Staff were very friendly overall. The dorm was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms were clean, but not pristine.
The location is good, easy access to town and shops. Overall, I was reasonably happy with my stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NorthWestLondoner
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The two lady here are super helpful. They took me in when there was no other places available, they really do make you feel like home. Everything is simple and effective, it does the job nicely.
The backpackers is at a very convenient location, the shops are right by your doorstep including the supermarket. Also a quick few min walk to the beautiful lake Wanaka. To sum it up magnificent people in a magnificent place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 March 2013

If this was a hostel anywhere else I would consider it average. However, given the high quality of backpacker accommodations in New Zealand it's a bit under average. Our double room was clean but catastrophically small. There were "three" showers at this backpacker, but one of them was effectively unusable because there was not a light bulb in the shower cubicle, and I prefer to take showers with a bit of light. The other showers were ok, but the timed light switches were a bit annoying.

There was not enough fridge space/fridges are not cleaned out often enough. We had trouble finding a place to store our food at the hostel. The kitchen is cleaned once in the afternoon, but I'd suggest that the hostel have some of the volunteers clean in the evening, as the kitchen is a complete wreck in the evening. I know that guests should clean up after themselves, but unfortunately this is not always the case.

This hostel isn't totally bad. The herb vegetable garden out back is very nice. This hostel definitely had potential. The bathrooms need improving.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JasonandPatricia
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Really the most friendly people in 3 weeks of travelling NZ. We called late and Karen & Donna were very welcoming and relaxed although we arrived even later ;-) They gave us advice where to find a late night meal near the hostel and would even call to book a table in our favorite restaurant. Karen and Donna were genuinely interested in our travel plans and gave us much helpful advice.
The place is very clean. Well equipped kitchen. Funny signs on the toilet doors and in the kitchen. Nice outside sitting area with a little garden including herbs and veggies to use. Quiet location.
Thank you - we will be back!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends