“Wonderful due to the location and weather.”
Review of Edgewater

Edgewater
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We had one of the best suites regards views of the lake and spaciousness. The weather was superb and the rooms had all the basics but decor and furnishings were a little tired and windowsills were showing the ravages of condensation.. The washer dryer was inadequate as a dryer, needing a long long time. Used line over bath in the end. Notice in the bathroom informed us each unit had its own hot water cylinder therefore hot water was limited. What?!
Bath or shower/ wash up now or once at night.. Really should not have to consider such thing on a vacation in 4*accommodation!
We enjoyed our stay in Wanaka, primarily due to the weather and proximity to the lake, which we walked beside each day but had there not been glorious, hot, sunny weather and beautiful Lake Wanaka I'm afraid it would not come upto the standard of similar classed hotels.
We had booked inclusive breakfast but were embarrassed the first morning being told we had to pay. When we said it was included we were asked to stand aside while a check was made with reception. No apology was given when it was finally sorted. Surely a simple tick next to rooms who have breakfast included would avoid such problems.
. The staff on the whole were pleasant and helpful, the restaurant provided good food in the evening and the breakfast was sufficient. One problem at breakfast was we were expected to use a tea bag and communal hot water flask and milk ewer instead of being offered a pot of tea or coffee at our table. The staff however were very obliging and when not busy provided a pot of tea when we requested .
BUT
Toilet seat decided to come adrift on the last day, a Sunday. No maintenance man available ' but as it was unusable a pleasant young man was sent to inspect. I suggested the old standby Duct tape..he went away and returned with a roll of white duct tape, which I think was stronger and of higher quality than the flimsy plastic seat it was to hold in place.
No AC. Very hot at night floor fan helped me but the noise kept my husband awake . We couldn't open windows due to security and insects.
The lounge area was Spacious but very bare, with basic tired, shabby furniture. there were no cushions to LOUNGE on! We used bed pillows. No problem with making do but other much cheaper establishments provided these little comforts to make one comfortable. The balcony was a small size. 2 chairs and an ashtray on the floor. We don't smoke but would have loved a small table to put our drinks on.
It was the lack of these little things that made me think the hotel was resting on its laurels, relying on its award from Tripadvisor, which was displayed prominently in reception, its superb location, lake views, coach parties and weddings and overlooking the small things associated with individual guest comfort.. 4* ??
The standard of the sanitary ware is a whole other issue but I have not come across such poor quality in all the many BnBs, home stays ,lodges etc. It really needs addressing.
No I wouldn't recommend the place to friends until its had a refit and management decides which market it's aiming at.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room overlooking the lake.
1  Thank Ayeuplass
Edgewater_Resort, General Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Dear Jennam4,
Thank you for taking the time to detail your stay with us.

Your comment re the hot water is one that I have answered previously and it is for the benefit of those guests who regularly use in excess of 120lt of Hot Water for each bathing episode. As stated each room has its own electric hot water cylinder and does require time to heat up upon draining. For the majority of our guests this is irrelevant but for the benefit of all we express the facts.

I have taken your comments re furnishings on board and will be sure to keep them in mind when we embark on our next refurb. The photographs on Trip Advisor and our own website clearly show the rooms exactly as they are presently but thank you for your observations

Reviewed 15 March 2013

AFter another hard day travelling we arrived at the Edgewater REsort. Our rooms were close by. Mine was on the ground floor and my room overlooked the lake. Being so close to the water i had ducks for guests. They managed to stay on the lawn. The only drawback for me was that there were no net curtains, so one had to close the curtains after a shower. Breakfast was efficient.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Edgewater_Resort, Front Office Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Dear JudiGlass,

Thanks for your feedback. Yes the ducks are very friendly around Edgewater which as you've rightly pointed out is due to our lakefront location!!

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment. Booking and check-in was handled efficiently. Our place was very clean and the bed was most comfortable. We had a few of the pond area and the ducks which was very tranquil. Found it to be very quiet. Fridge was a little noisy and had to be adjusted.
We didn't have time to use any of the facilities on the site. The view of Lake Wanaka is very good and there is a pleasant walk. The free WiFi was most welcome but you could only use the password for one computer at a time which was a bit of a hassle. Maybe they could do something at the desk about that - and let us know about that restriction at the desk.
Bathroom facilities were clean. It was easy to get around in for the senior citizen (82) who was travelling with us. Thank you Edgewater. When in Wanaka again, we would certainly consider a longer stay.

Room Tip: We liked 705 and 706 and the view of the pond and the ducks!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Edgewater_Resort, Public Relations Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Dear Tevorolevu

Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences at Edgewater.

As you noted the 2 Bedroom apartment worked well for your needs. I am sorry about the hassle factor associated with the single password however. As technology evolves we expect this will be less of an issue.

We hope you may be able to come back for a longer stay in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Let me start by saying that the team at the reception is efficient and professional. The location of the hotel is very nice - it is literally by the lake. But that’s all there is to it. Here comes the criticisms:

1) When I walked into the room (a 1 bedroom suite), instead of admiring the spaciousness of the room as advertised, I found it dark, old and dirty.

2) The carpet and the sofa have very clearly seen much better days – and should have been stripped out long time ago.

3) There were lumps of dust hanging from the ceiling and from the high ends of the walls in the room.

4) There was mildew along the wash basin.

5) There was no extractor fan in the bathroom and trapped all the heat after use even though I opened the so-called window for as long as I could.

6) I found a note in the room saying that all rooms have their individual hot water boiler, so there is limited amount of hot water and therefore use wisely. I don’t think I have ever been to any hotel (budget or otherwise) that tells you this. What kind of a service is this??

7) They have the stupidest floor plan I have ever seen for a supposedly luxurious 1 bedroom suite. The bedroom was positioned so that the window opens out to the hotel corridor – which means you can’t open the window at night. On a hot summer night the bedroom became an oven. We had a floor standing fan but it was so ineffective and so loud that we couldn’t sleep at all.

8) The corridor light shone through the curtain into the bedroom, another contributing factor to a sleepless night.

9) Housekeeping hadn’t cleaned the room until late afternoon. I went back to the hotel at 2.30pm and it was still uncleaned.

10) Our package included breakfast but what a farce it was. The cooked breakfast was tasteless. There was no salad and no fresh fruits available. The only thing they have is a bowl of sad-looking tinned peach.

11) The waitresses were either very keen to kick you out of the restaurant, or keen to show you that they are ultra efficient. As soon as we put down our forks, either just to have a chat or trying to take things slow, the plates were whisked away. I could have told them to put the plate down but then the food was not worth fighting for. So we sighed and left.

We paid over NZD280 per night and this is a rip off. There are much better hotels (both in price and quality) nearby. I see that they do entertain quite a number of tour groups, perhaps these are where the big money coming from so individual customers don’t count? Or because these tour groups typically only stay for a night so why bother with presenting the hotel in the best possible way?

All in all, an utterly disappointing experience. I will not recommend this to anyone and will actively tell my friends and family not to go there.

Room Tip: Just don't to this hotel. Choose another one.
6  Thank Kat325
Edgewater_Resort, General Manager at Edgewater, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear KAT325,
I thank you for your positive thoughts with regards to our front office team and location.

I am however at a loss to explain how a 56sqmt suite with ceiling to floor lake facing windows and ranch slider could be considered “dark”, unless you checked in after sunset !

I indeed apologise if you have found dust in your room and I have addressed this with our housekeeping department, however I do not concur with your other observations regarding the furnishings of the room.

Yes, each room does have its own 135lt tank of hot water and with flows of 9 lts per minute at a 50/50 mix of hot and cold water there is sufficient for at least 25-30 mins of continuous flow. Due to our varied international and domestic markets we point out this situation to identify that after a full bath and two showers in quick succession the supply requires time to refill. I am sorry if you found the disclosure of this information a cause of concern !

I acknowledge that during February the hotel was operating at very high occupancy and as a consequence our staff were working as quickly as possible to accommodate all guests and I will speak with them regarding their zeal.

Our daily breakfast buffet consists of Streaky bacon, Pork & herb Sausage, Hash browns, Baked beans, Scrambled eggs, Fresh sliced Mushrooms, Hoikkien noodle stir-fry, Cooked Tomatoes. House Made Granola, Nutra grain, Cornflakes, Weetbix, Natural yoghurt & Individual yoghurt selection. Croissants & Danishes. Fresh Fruit platters of Pineapple, Oranges, Strawberries & Melons, Bowls of Black Doris Plums, Peaches and Apricots. Cold Meat Cuts platters, Cheese platters, 7 Grain Bread, Ciabatta, Assorted Sliced Breads, Dried nuts and Condiment Selections.

Again, I find your comments at odds with what is in fact provided. Yes Edgewater does attract a wide variety of customers in the form of Tour guests and free independent traveller’s, We value each of our guests as importantly as each other regardless of their travel method.

I appreciate that this is your first review on Trip Advisor and you have indeed spent some time on it. No hotel operation is without fault, including ours, but it is through constructive criticism that improvements are made.

As you obviously felt you had a number of comments to make in this case I would suggest in future that you take the time at the particular establishment to speak with the management so that your stay can be improved rather than feel that you have wasted money by staying.

By all means post your concerns if you feel you must afterwards whether your issues have been rectified or not, but you should not be afraid to seek improvements whilst you are in residence. I trust this advice will help you for your future holiday stays wherever they may be

Reviewed 28 February 2013

The hotel is located a few miles away from the town center, hence is quite peaceful. The rooms are spacious and most of the rooms have views onto the lake. There is a small running track by the lake and a very spacious lawn area.Can easily spend a day here enjoying the scenic surroundings.
The breakfast and the service were a little wanting, but overall i would definitely recommend the place.

Dear Pradeepjreaddy,

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.

Our apologies that our breakfast and service was not up to your expectations. If you wished to make contact directly with specifics then we could look into those directly for you.

Nevertheless we're pleased you enjoyed the tranquility in our lakefront location.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Fantastic shared room set up for 5. Kids had their own room with a double and single, middle room had a great window seat for reading, big open door to small patio, and full equipped kitchen, other room was with a king. Bathroom had clothes washer and dryer. 15-20 minute walk along Lake Wanaka into town. Very clean. Would definitely recommend. If we make it back, we'll definitely return and stay longer.

Room Tip: Big resort, make sure you ask about rooms with views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

Dear Heidi

So pleased you enjoyed your stay with your family. You are right that our two bedroom apartment are perfect for families. I hope you managed to get enough quite time to enjoy your book though!

We hope you can make it back in the future. Don't hesitate to make contact again.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

We only stayed one night, and I'm glad we did otherwise I would have been annoyed by the place and spoiled our stay. It's a wonderful location with great views, and out of town so it is quiet and peaceful. So far so good. You can swim in the lake close by and walk into town or along the lakeshore. The rooms are spacious (we had a suite) if old-fashioned but quite adequate. Good balcony outside with view of everything.

Now the bad. The breakfast came with the room rate, and reflected it. Tasteless scrambled eggs, soggy hash browns and very very weak coffee. Appalling. Glad we didn't have to pay for it.

The Wi-fi. Basically there isn't any. There is a HOTEL COMPUTER which you pay for. You can't use your ipad or laptop anywhere in the hotel. This is 2013, not the 1990s. We were waiting on some important emails and had to miss them because no way I was going to pay any money for their dreadful internet service.

The tap in the bathroom has the hot and cold reversed, so you scald your hands if you turn it to what you think is cold and it isn't. The room is airless in summer as there is no cross flow ventilation and it's very stuffy. No aircon, just a fan which saved our lives in the bedroom at least. Bed was okay but a bit soggy so you rolled towards the middle a lot.

Edgewater feels old and out of date. We won't be back. Shame because it's a lovely spot and could do a lot better for your money.

Room Tip: Upstairs is better if you don't want people walking past your windows all the time.
1  Thank Ozwitch

Dear Ozwitch,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

We are continuing to work closely with our third party provider of our internet to improve its speed and efficiency which we are aware of some limitations although your accusation that wifi is not available anywhere in the hotel is not correct.

With regards to the complimentary use of our internet facility within the lobby, it is exactly that, complimentary, we only ask that you limit your usage of it to 15 minute intervals for the benefit of all guests.

Without a room number to assist me I am unable to comment further on the hot and cold taps except to say that the hot water should have been activated with the mixer turned to the left as per general plumbing protocols.

As both ends of the room have windows that open up to the outside, the stand up fan is there to provide exactly the cross-flow ventilation you desired. For air conditioning to work effectively the room need be sealed and for the majority of our guests, this is not an option they would prefer, instead wishing to leave the windows and sliders open to enjoy our naturally beautiful surroundings.