“Total indulgence.Heli ski week at Whare Kea lodge .Hedonist's nirvana!!!!!”

Whare Kea Lodge & Chalet
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Melbourne, Australia
“Total indulgence.Heli ski week at Whare Kea lodge .Hedonist's nirvana!!!!!”
Reviewed 4 September 2010

What a way to do it! Heli ski heaven staying at the most beautiful place ,Whare Kea lodge.
Six stars for accommodation ,Perfect surrounds ,impeccable service and food that defies description .....Yum!!!!!!
Can't wait to do it all again next year.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Melbourne
Reviewed 3 September 2010

We have stayed at Whare Kea twice - once with a group of friends (we took the whole lodge) and once solo. We returned later in the year for a week to fish rivers around Lake Wanaka with a guide recommended by the lodge. It was a memorable experience. We liked being well away from the rather suburban little town, and although we had thought we would eat out, the food was too good to miss. Also special dietary requirements were creatively adhered to by the chef, so that one would not have known that a low salt, low fat diet was essential. Food was sourced from top suppliers and we were told exactly where our lamb was bred, our fish was caught and so on. Definitely a place for foodies!

It is expensive compared to the lodges recommended - but it is like comparing Beluga caviar with farmed salmon eggs - we would not b e interested in the lodges listed on Trip advisor, although normally I take this site's advice. We were not disturbed by others in the lodge as there is plenty of space to keep away from fellow guests and dine separately, apart from common courtesy on entering and leaving the very large living space. You are paying partly for not having to mix with the herd!

My one complaint was the difficulty occasionally of getting out of the large bath(with its great view) - I had a back problem and some kind of help attached to the wall or the bath would have helped. Also a comfortable stool in the bathroom. I told the staff who promised to hand my comment on to the owner. I was able to have an excellent massage - the masseur came in from the town.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2010

Each year a group of us has been staying for a week in Whare Kea to heli-ski the vast untracked slopes of the nearby mountain ranges. I must declare that I am a friend of the owner who hosts these weeks, and hence you should take this into account when reading this review.
However, having said that, it is the highlight of my year. The main aspect of this venue that I adore is that it encourages and facilitates interaction in both conversation and sporting activities (which abound nearby). The views are stunning overlooking Lake Wanaka, the colours of the lodge bright and alive, and the staff blend into the experience. Moreover, I have never tasted such great meals as the feasts the head chef produces. These are well beyond any restaurant fare I have ever tasted, and all are based on locally sourced delicacies. He delights in making tastes that are impossibly delicious. I always sleep very well there and find the beds very comfortable and cozy, but this might relate to the full-on skiing we do most days.
I saw some criticism of the rooms as a bit simple, but I guess I see this as a place to have some private quiet time and appreciate the lack of a TV. The rooms have wireless internet, phones and plenty of space for my needs.
I've only experienced Whare Kea in a group all with a common interest, but for this it is ideal, especially the heli-skiing. It's definitely an up-market lodge and the prices match, but it's a gem that could only survive with such quality (esp the food) if it's at the expensive end of the range. I always feel very relaxed when I go there, and for about a week (at least) upon my return to the real world.

• Stayed August 2010
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 5 September 2007

I had just arrived to New Zealand and headed directly to Wanaka, which is a beutiful little town - a very peaceful and soothing place. I was even more pleased when I got to the hotel. Hotel staff picked me up from town centre and we drove through the vineyard lands. The hotel is loceted almost on top of a hill and the view opens to lake Wanaka and the Alps - what a breathtaking landscape. There is also a path from the hotel to the town going along the hillside. It is worth taking the path at least once. Hotel staff is friendly and service is personal. I probably have never felt more welcome when arriving in a hotel. Also, the rooms are spacious and food delicious.

My favorite thing was to ask the staff to prepare hot tub ready for me early in the morning. It is outside on the hillside. When the air is still a little bit chilly and sun is rising, it is the lovelies feeling in the world to sit in warm water and enjoy the first moments of the day.

The staff is always there for you and they take good care of the guests. They will arrange all the activities for you and help you out planning your stay. I would recommend a helicopter ride to the alps. Helicopter can land on the hotel yard, so it is a convenient and easy way to see the glaciers and natural park area.

All in all I had a very pleasant and memorable stay at this hotel.

• Liked — Food and service
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wash DC
Reviewed 28 June 2007

This place is insanely expensive. The service is top notch. The food is top notch. I really liked dining with other guests. The main dining/living area is absolutely stunning. The view is absolutely amazing. But as other reviews noted, the rooms are not that great. Small and lack modern accessories. I suppose this place appeals to certain people who can afford $700/night and don't require anything but good food, good service, and a great view. But if I am going to splure I really need a great room. And this wasn't it. The shower didn't work well. They nickel and dime you for things like laundry and alcohol. Really for $700/night everything should be included except sex with the maid.

The view is really incredible but you can see it without staying here.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank mskDC
Boston
Reviewed 16 November 2005

Beatiful spot, above lake Wanaka, with huge walls of glass and views of the lake from every room. Fabulous food, and excellent personalized service. Rooms were nice, if not outstanding.

3 Thank Sox1