“NZ - Fantastic family holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Moorings

The Moorings
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Ayr, Australia
“NZ - Fantastic family holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

Great Position, Great Accomodation, Great People. The people who manage these apartments are fantastic, sincere and most helpful. Like all of NZ - the people at The Moorings were no different. Customer Service in NZ puts us Aussies to shame, nothing is too difficult. We even left a beanie in our room which was shipped back to us in North Queensland, with a friendly little note. Had a sick son during our stay and they put us onto a fantastic Medical Clinic. If your staying in Wanaka this is great value accomodation, walking distance to restaurants and main street area and beautiful kids park directly in front.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheMooringsWanaka, Owner at The Moorings, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Hello Sandra, thank you for your positive feed back, its nice to hear that we "Kiwis" are getting our tourism right! and that you and your family had a wonderful holiday here. It was great to hear we helped make your holiday enjoyable.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Sensational Sunsets and as close to town and the lake as you can get

Room Tip: Upstairs is the best view
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

Loved every minute of our stay here.
Hubi and I were on a skiing holiday and stayed 3 nights in studio room on 2nd floor.
From the moment we walked in the door I was in 7 th heaven.. The view was majestic and after all day sking we spent every afternoon sitting on our balcony just marveling at scene in front of us ..enjoying a drink and cheese platter.
Our hosts were fantastic and our room had everything we required .
We loved the location as it was just a short walk to all the wonderful cafes and restaurants.
A perfect place to stay....would stay again...definitely ...only would stay longer .

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
TheMooringsWanaka, Owner at The Moorings, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Thank you for positive comment and we are very happy that you had a memorable stay with us. Feedback such as yours is fantastic to receive as we and our Team work very hard to ensure guest satisfaction. Thanks again and we look forward to perhaps a return visit in the future!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2011

Short stay here for a night before we headed to Queenstown. Very comfortable place and friendly owner/reception. Rooms are very clean with modern furnishing and have an amazing view of the Lake. Hotel looks very basic from outside and no common facilities/restaurant etc. But there are enough places within 5min walk to eat/relax. Kids will love the playground by the lake, just in front of the hotel.

Wanaka overall is very beautiful, and we would recommend the puzzling world and sky diving during the stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your kind comments. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful town and that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Moorings. We try very hard to maintain our high standards and it is always great o hear guests feedback.
Thank you again.
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

At NZ$190 a night, the room was small but attractive and modern, and we had a great view of Lake Wanaka and the mountains beyond. Not luxurious, but comfortable self-catering studio: Queen size bed, small sofa, coffee table, ironing board, Sky TV, small kitchenette (fridge, microwave, two-burner stove top, kitchen sink). Free parking in the Moorings own lot (which makes for easy unloading of baggage), but the lot can get full, so late-comers might have to look for street parking.

The Moorings is on a lakeside road, so there is a bit of traffic noise, which is minimal after dark. We are a few blocks from restaurants and shops, tourist information.

This was a nice place, only a couple of complaints. It took a while for the burner to get hot. The corner of the metal bed frame on which the mattress sits is a hazard, as it sticks out. I bumped into it a few times and left with a bruise on my leg. They should fix this.

Room Tip: Booked through Wotif.com
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

We booked a 3 bedroom apartment in the Moorings in May 2011 online, for 2 nights. I was surprised to note that there was no difference in peak and off peak prices, so the amount we paid ($340) was one of the most expensive during our tour of NZ.

The location of the Moorings is fantastic, facing the Lake and within walking distance of shops and restaurants. On the lakefront, there is a playground and boat piers full of resident ducks, which our toddler enjoyed very much!

The 2 bedrooms upstairs are well appointed and spacious, and the although the downstairs living room is cramped, the layout and design is tasteful and modern. What I liked most was the service level provided by the motel owners. They are extremely helpful and cheerful, and happily replaced my (paid) Wifi coupon when I misplaced the password and login details. There is room for improvement though : (1) no heating at all in the upstairs bedrooms - it got a bit chilly at night , and (2) paying for Wifi is so passe. At these prices, how about providing 30 mins free per night stayed?

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the Moorings very much. However, we would probably stay in one of the neighbouring hotels during our next visit (they look more expensive, but have better facilities such as swimming pools and room service).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bandargirl
Corner of Earth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

Out of the hotels I stayed in my South New Zealand trip, this came in as the most expensive (though probably lowest in class/category) and disappointingly it did not deliver value on comparison. I paid much cheaper in better hotels/resorts including in Queenstown. Maybe Wanaka is slightly more expensive compared to other areas during low season. But I have given up another Wanaka hotel which was rated very highly and was on a special for Moorings so after the trip I wondered if I could have made a wiser choice.

On the day we checked in we hurriedly left for lunch as it was long past lunch time. I barely had time to take a close look at the room. On return a few hours later I was upset to find that the room stank, especially near the kitchenette. It is the smell of stale cooking. Oil and grilled steak that had permeated throughout the room with not a hint of ventilation. It reminded me of how one smelt after a meal at a badly ventilated Korean BBQ restaurant. As we are not staying for long I thought it may be fine to bear with it but 10 minutes later I knew there is no way we can sleep here since one can smell it from the bed. I went to the kitchen area and gagged when I opened the cupboard keeping the pots and pans. I almost threw up. It smelt like someone simply used kitchen towels to 'wash' the utensils which was heavily grilled with lots of oil and the smell became stale.

I requested for a room change (at that moment nothing in the room has been used except one bed which was sat on). A man came up and in an unfriendly manner mentioned that he was not the one who checked us in and left to get the lady who did. When the lady came, she reprimanded me for not letting her know my displeasure when we checked in. I explained that we barely had time to look around the room before leaving for lunch. She proceeded to walk around the room and insisted that there was no smell. I was truly unhappy at this point and told her it's fine if they did not change the room but she should not deny the smell. At this point she offered to change us to another room - but not before making sure the room was unused! Well it was - like I mentioned we only sat on the bed to organize some things from my shoulder bag and touched nothing else. But this place has turned me off.

We hopped over to a room two doors away which actually smelt freshly cleaned up and in fact aromatic! If my stay would start off from this room it would have been much more pleasant. But it is still overpriced for what it is in comparison to other places we stayed in NZ. Everything in the room was fine, bathroom was simple. It is a motel and is fine if you don't use the utensils and don't get a badly smelling room. But be forewarned it is expensive for what it is and you'll probably do better if you don't mind without a view.

I'm giving it a 3 stars taking the second room into account or it would have warrant a 2 (smell/cleanliness, price and service).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family