“business first”

Cuisines: New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 29 March 2014

yeah, this cafe looks nice at the first glance. but if you encounter the boss, an older blond woman, you maybe get a glance behind the curtain. she is very business-orientated and can turn out to be a devil. I was having 2 coffees and a toast etc for breakfast there, sitting in the cafe exactly form 11 a. m. to 1 a. m., then she came to me and threw me out with the comment: "you have been sitting there for 3 hours, only having 1 coffee, now you have to go." apart from the lie that I was sitting there for 2 hours and had more than 1 coffee, what kind of policy is that??? I answered: "Wow. your are throwing me out. that never happens to me in austria." she: "we are not in austria. I have to care for my business." I went to the counter where she was already waiting for me to pay and I said: "I want to pay." she: "I hope so". she was very mean, very nasty, very unfriendly. I really felt insulted.
later I talked to a local here in wanaka and she told me that she also had a very bad experience with that woman and she never will go there again. do I have to say more?

6  Thank maria w
Sharyn M, Owner at Florences Foodstore & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you Maria. We are a busy Wanaka café with many weekend bookings to honour. Our customers are our business and we appreciate all feedback. .Kind regards

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I can't believe that we are staying so close to Florence's and only managed to enjoy a coffee and lunch with you, so far into our stay! It is a delightful venue and a welcome respite from the busy-ness and commercialism of the cafés in the towncentre and we loved the quiet ambience, the outdoor seating area and the lovely choice of cakes and pastries ! The lunchtime specials were delicious too and my husband loved his risotto dish. Good luck in your endeavors - I think you have really filled a gap in the market!

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Really nice café and foodstore, well worth our dropping in on our way to Te Anau. Excellent service and atmosphere.

1  Thank Trier2
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We loved the atmosphere at Florences as much as the food. After browsing the gorgeous range of foods and kitchen goodies beautifully set out in the warm barn-like space inside, we turned to lunch. As well as pies, quiches and sandwiches of an exceptionally high standard, Florences offered a range of exquisite cakes and pastries. We repaired to a lovely bench seat in the window overlooking the garden and enjoyed the stack of magazines there with our second coffee. Pity we found Florences so late in our stay in Wanaka.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

There were 6 of us staying at the Oakridge across the road and we found Florence's a bit late in our week long stay really - or we would have been there more often! Great coffee and pastries, fabulous breakfast and the shop has an amazing range of goodies. A big hi to Keighley especially who was so welcoming, but really all of the staff were. The date scones were pretty yummy, NZ does know how to make good scones!