“They let you fly the plane....updise down. Must do”

Southern Lakes Learn to Fly
More attraction details
Owner description: Ever wondered what the world looks like flying upside down? Why not let one of New Zealand's best aerobatic pilots teach you how. Ivan Krippner the 2 time national aerobatic champion and his instructors both competing at a national level will give you a trial flight like never before! Operating out of the Wanaka airport with 360 degrees of panoramic views, from the mighty Southern Alps to the majestic Lake Wanaka see it all. For the adrenaline seeker join us in the specially designed Cessna 152 Aerobat. We will teach you how to do your own loops and rolls within the 30min trial flight. Or for the adrenaline junkie take the step up to the big boy's toy, a 15 min trial flight in The Pitts Special S2B. Do your own loops and rolls then do the upgrade and let Ivan take control as you lose control. This production Pitts Special is the most powerful ever built. With the same engine set up as the Red Bull race Aircraft, it has only one thing on its mind, to go hard and fast or go home! Come see the world from our office 6000' up, Upside down. Prices start from $199 with DVD and Upgrades available. Give Ivan or one of the team a call today on. Upside down, down under.
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was trying to work out what to do in Wanaka and I came across their website and I thought why not, I've always wanted to learn to fly. Then I saw that they will take you out for an Aeorobatics lesson and I thought this is a must do.

It's so much fun, they let you climb the aircraft up to 6,000ft and then show you some of the tricks (some of which are really cool) and then it's your turn. You learn how to do a loop and a roll and do it all by yourself. Which is so much fun to actually be able to do yourself.

I still can't believe you can actually do this, especially as I've never flown a plane before, Trevor the instructor was really great and explained it all (and was also lots of fun during the flight) and don't worry it's not that hard to do them and you'll end up grinning from ear to ear.

If you want the instructor can then show you a proper aerobatics routine which is really impressive what they can do with the plane, so it really worth doing it for the adrenaline rush.

So if you're in the area I can't recommend this enough, you get great views of the area and it's such a blast to learn to fly aerobtics, driving a car round the rest of New Zealand is going to seem very tame after this.

I just wish it could have been a longer flight, I would love to come back and learn the other stunts.

Trevor_Cray, Public Relations Manager at Southern Lakes Learn to Fly, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thanks so much for joining us for your first flying lesson. We are happy that you enjoyed yourself so much that you want to come back. As we said your are more than welcome to come and learn with us. dispite my pattern being slightly out of practice i am glad that you enjoyed the experience, I recomend next time going in the pitts and flying with Ivan.

Any questions reguarding flight training in New Zealand or any help we can give you in your future flying career then please don't hesitate to get in touch with us and we would be more than happy to help.

Trevor Cray,
Flight Instructor

There are newer reviews for Southern Lakes Learn to Fly

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Went for the scenic lesson with Kylie, she was a fantastic teacher/co-pilot, exactly what was needed. I had the time of my life enjoying the spectacular views, as did my passenger. The guys who I went with who did the stunt flight with Krazzy Ivan also loved it. One of my favourite things I did in the whole of NZ.

Trevor_Cray, Public Relations Manager at Southern Lakes Learn to Fly, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thanks so much for flying with us. Kylie is a fantastic instructor and hopes that she has ignited a passion in you for flying. Please feel free to come back and see us anytime and as always, if you have any questions then please don't hesitate to get in contact with us anytime!

Trevor.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This was an excellent experience and the whole team are very skilled and professional. It is certainly a rush that is like nothing else and is a great opportunity to see some of the best scenery in the world from a totally different perspective. Having the opportunity to have a varied flying experience from scenic, to stunts and even the option for a formal lesson with such a great team makes this experience unrivalled.

Trevor_Cray, Public Relations Manager at Southern Lakes Learn to Fly, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for your review, we were happy help with your stag do and hope that the wedding went well. We rather enjoy having groups through and being able to cater for pretty much anything as you have said. From a hands on scenic flight over lake wanaka to some hard out aerobatics. The best thing is you're involved the whole way through the flight. so thanks for spending your last "free days" with us and all the best.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Absolutely amazing experience up there with a Bungy Jump & Skydive! The views were amazing and Ivan tailored the experience to my comfort levels... fantastic!

Hi thanks so much for stopping in and choosing to come for a flight with us. We are glad that you got the most out of your flight and that Ivan managed to noT scare you too much! Please call in anytime even for just a cup of tea, but for any questions then don't hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Of all Things I did in NZ, (skydiving in NZ, Ice ecplorer in Franz josef, Bungy Jump in Queenstown etc.) this was the best thing! So fun and so beautiful. u get a Adrenalin experience and a scenic flight at the same time. So nice to tell u friends at home that u have fly a plane. But the best thing was the upgrade recomend all people to do this!

Number 1 again?! Thank you so much for visiting us and we are thrilled to have taken the top spot on your trip to NZ. Please come back anytime and we would be glad to teach you some more aerobatic moves.