“Cold and unfriendly!”
Review of Wanaka Hotel

Wanaka Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed two nights - 11th & 12 th february - booked by travel agent. Welcome was basic, pointed in direction of stairs, with two big cases, there was no lift! Told to go and park 'round the back', then given directions as to how to get from the back to our room - not easy!
No kitchen in the room, which we have had so far in NZ. Just a communal unit for everyone. As we had been booked into units with kitchens, we had a cold bag full of things to go into the fridge! Was packed in together, not easy to get something out! Ate in our room,had plastic dishes and spoons with us. Room was small for a hotel room and the rates charged.
Passed the desk on several occasions Into and out of the building, but often no receptionist there, or she called out to us to wait! On check out, we had to wait whilst a different receptionist checked out at least 4 other clients, very slow. Never saw another member of staff, either cleaners, porters or office staff.
Would not recommend this, unless you want a hotel in the centre of the town and cannot get anything else!

Room Tip: Room with a balcony overlooking the lake - wonderful sunsets!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Evelyn91

Reviewed 29 January 2014

jo ,the daytime front desk manager is amazing,,,she welcomed me ,,helped me to figure out what room type i would feel most comfortable in ,do to decreased mobility,,,she is kind,funny ,pleasant,professional,helpful and truely cares about her clients,,,,i also noticed what a great team player she is,,,,,i am here just for 1 night ,,,came earlier today leave in am ,,just a shout out to your wonderful manager,,little things mean alot!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

It was old and bed cover was smelly. Not enough plugs. All furniture very outdated. We had a unit with view of garbage containers. Location is great just next to the lake and supermarkets, but you can hear all your neighbours do or say. Wouldn't stay again, really overprised

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank double_yuu
Reviewed 28 December 2013

So the location is all this hotel has going for it and that is what you pay for. It is close to downtown like most everything in this town. Go elsewhere if you have the money. The front staff was quite rude. Very thin walls. Very old hotel rooms-pink tile in bathroom for example and decor is out of the 50's. The back parking lot late at night tends to be the hang out for drunks and drug users alike. It made me feel quite uncomfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank C W
Reviewed 14 December 2013

A very average hotel quite near the lake. Friendly reception. Payable wifi. Car park at the back was a long walk with heavy cases and no offer of any help (we are in our 60s and had luggage for a 6 week trip). Several food areas in the hotel which were obviously open to non residents but were all uninviting as far as we were concerned. Very dated and not as good as many of the motel rooms we had.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed here one night. We prebooked on the internet and it was only $89 for the night. It was a studio unit with ensuite. Very comfortable and clean. The location being just over from the lake made it even better. The carpark out the back was very handy. The best value place of everywhere we went in the South Island staying at a dozen different places.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a night recently on my trip to New Zealand and they provided me with the only bad memory from the trip.

I had pre-booked my room through Agoda. When I arrived, I was a little surprised when the girl at the counter asked for my credit card for an "imprint". I agreed considering that the hotel might want to keep some sort of security if any damage is caused. Horrible mistake on my part.

Stay at the hotel was uneventful. Its an average hotel. Anyway, we checked out early next morning. I went to the front desk to drop the keys and paid 4$ in cash for an internet card we had bought at the time of check-in. There are was a man at the counter who just accepted my key and I left for Franz Joseph.

Trouble started when on that evening I checked my phone to see a charge of 85 NZD on my card from Wanaka hotel. I got a bit alarmed and called the hotel. The lady told me she would check, the put me on hold to attend to other guests at the counter. She returned 10 mins later and told me that the charge was made on account of the room rent. I informed her that the room rent has already been paid as part of the pre-booking through Agoda. She told me she will find out the details and let me know once sorted. I had no option but to trust her and went for a trek to Franz Joseph.

There was no network reception at Franz Joseph, and when I got back I was further alarmed to see another transaction of 78 NZD on my card from Wanaka hotel. I called the hotel and the lady informed me that the earlier charge to my card had already been reversed in the morning. But since she did not know that she went ahead and reversed the same amount again. She soon realized that the first charge had already been reversed earlier and to offset the second reversal she decided to charge back my card the same amount.

For me, I only got alerts for the transactions charged on the card and not the reversals. I told the lady to stop playing around with my credit card. She told me its all should end up to zero. I called back my card company in my home country on roaming and spoke for about 15 minutes only to find that:
1. They could not confirm any reversals being made on the card (it takes 2-3 days)
2. If I instruct them to cancel the card, the reversals will not go through.

The call back home cost me around 80$.

I had a very small amount of credit left on my credit card for that month so decided to bite the bullet. Thankfully I came back home to find the reversals had been made. BUT, I lost 15$ in forex conversion charges.

The hotel staff played around with my card. And apart from the stress and anxiety it caused me, the whole episode cost me another 100$. Will the hotel representatives care to answer as to WHO WILL BEAR THESE COSTS?

SHAMELESS behavior on part of the hotel staff. And I'm irked most by the fact that there was absolutely no apology offered.

Future travelers to this hotel, please learn from my mistake. And take due care.

Room Tip: stay away!!!
3  Thank SeanKing1506