“Great location, very poor customer service unless you demand for it!”

Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
A TripAdvisor Member
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Locaion is great, facilities are really good, breakfast is pretty poor in options for "All included breakfast", and service is pretty poor unless you really demand it
example: we book this hotel using the hotel website 45 days before the trip, we planned this as the last part of our trip after two weeks of travelling, main reason to choose it was laundry facilities and two Plasma TVs, reason lots of laundry to do and two toddlers eagier for watch some TV after two weeks in the country wild side, neither of those two happened!
When I went back to reception I got a "sorry about that" then I have to demand the laundry facilities and what happenned with the TVs? we got an old TV which did not worked well and coins for using the central laundry, this is new year's evening by the way!!!
To give you a picture the hotel has more than 60 rooms and just two have no laundry facilities, we got one of those eventhough we paid ofr something that was advertised,
at the end after grumpy claims etc... we got a refund of one night's rate, good but not good enough as we spend a couple of hours in the central laundry instead of our own self contained department that we booked, shame on you...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
FrancescaVoza, General Manager at Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I will be looking into your booking to find out why you were not placed into our apartments with laundry facilities. We have many different room types at the Grand Mercure. The One and Two bedroom apartments in the large wing of the resort have plasma TV's and full laundry facilities in each room. All other rooms without a full size washer and dryer have easy access to the Guest Laundry facility.

I will be speaking to our reservations team today to determine where the mistake was made.

I apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards
Mark Williams

Reviewed 8 January 2012

my husband and i where really excited about staying here, for we were on our honeymoon (nov0dec 2011) and the grand mercure oakridge resort was going to be our luxary accom, (and that was all thanks to winning a travel voucher.) Now when we arrived at the hotel we were surprrised as to how far out of town it was, and how cramed all the units seemed to be, and once we walked into our studio room we were left disapointed, as it looked like any other motel room, except for we had a proper kitchen.
The spa pool was lovely to soak in, and after our first night there i needed it, as the matteress of the bed was insanly HARD!!! infact it was so hard that when you lay on it you didn't even make an indentation into the matteress. I struggled to get sleep on our first night there and as for our second night, well, after an hour of liying on the matteress i got up to have a hot shower, to see if i could take the pain in my spine away, but sadly that did not help.
INFACT!!!, it was so bad that at 3AM we had packed up the car and left. I was in soooooooo much pain that my entire spine was in sharp pain.
I left crying for i felt that i (and i still beleive this) had wasted our $500 voucher. It cost $250 a night (breakfast inc).
Grand Mercure Oakridge was the biggest dissapointment of our trip, we will never stay there again, and we will not recommend this place to our friends.
I got a better nights sleep at acamping ground!

Room Tip: due to being in the country all rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank nicang

Dear Guest,

Although it is disappointing to hear you did not feel comfortable in our beds, I certainly appreciate your feedback.

I hear mixed reviews about our hotel beds. Some people find them extremely comfortable and some prefer them softer. Since reading your review we are looking into purchasing pillow mattress toppers for anyone who is not 100% comfortable.

Thank you once again for your constructive feedback.

Kind Regards
Mark Williams

Reviewed 7 January 2012

One of a series of short reviews after a South Island road trip!

I'd call this a 4.5 out of 5.

We had a two bedroom apartment unit and it was fantastic; big, TV in both bedrooms and the living area, washer and dryer, full kitchen, big deck/balcony area with table and seating of it's own. We were lucky to be in a room on an edge of the property that had views down the valley rather than views of another block of rooms.

Pool area was lovely and we enjoyed lazing about in one of the outdoor warm pools (kinda like a round spa pool and heated warm, would have been better if it was even warming) and having a drink delivered to us.

It was the most expensive place on our road trip but it was a treat and being Advantage Plus member and booking well ahead, the rate was pretty good given the time of year and the room & facilities were worth it.

Somewhere has to be totally amazing to get 5 out of 5 from me, and Oakridge fell a little bit short for three minor reasons.

- I don't believe they handled the AdvantagePlus 'member for a day' certificate (used to get my mother a discounted breakfast) correctly which was to our detriment. The actual dollar effect was not big and I decided not to keep arguing the point, but it annoys me when an Accor property does not handle Accor related things (such as member for a day certificates or AClub vouchers) correctly or the same way as other Accor properties. Also they said that you have to have the full buffet at breakfast to get the AdvantagePlus discount, which is the first time I've encountered that.

- The shower (also a spa bath, nice) really needed a shower curtain or more glass panelling; it was very open and easy for water to splash onto the floor. One little glass panel for a large open area wasn't quite ideal.

- The washing machine and clothes dryer were a bit hard to work out, although eventually (a bit too late!) we found some clearer instructions at the back of the information folio in the room. Would have been more useful to have some sort of indication to look at the information folio first.

Those things aside, we loved it.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Wanaka was our 4th stay in New Zealand. We stayed in the Grand Mercure Oakridge Hotel. We stayed there fpr 3 nights and 2 days.The hotel was not exactly situated in Wanaka, it is a little before Wanaka. And hence it was difficult to locate. We had a hard time reaching the hotel. The experience in the hotel was below average. The hotel covers a vast area, the the rooms are made like cottages. But the room was very small. It had only one double bed, a small table with 1 chair, a single small wardrobe. Overall, a very conjusted room. After placing our bags in the room, we could find place to stand there. Of all the other hotels in New Zealand, this one had the smallest room. There was a balcony adjacent to the room which had 2 chairs. it was a nice view from the balcony.Also, it was far from the Wanaka lake, you cant just walk till the lake. You need to have a car to go to the lake, Also, at night it gets really dark on the way to the hotel. There was some recreational area in the hotel, where they had hot water spa, swimming n all other facilities. The spa didnt look really encouraging, we didnt go for to The food was decent in the hotel. We had breakfast buffet in the hotel, and it pretty nice. they had good variety of omelets,breads, fruits, juices. The restaurant ambiance was also good. We had to leave early morning one day, and we requested for packed breakfast. They agreed to ot and provided us with really nice breakfast. Overall we had a below average experience in the hotel. According to their website - Grand Mercure Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka is a 4 star hotel set in a stunning mountain landscape offering majestic views overlooking the Southern Alps. The resort features heated rock pools, seven hot tubs, gymnasium, sauna, the Sanctuary Day Spa and Restaurant to provide guests with a unique and relaxing experience. But i din't find it that well.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vipgup
Reviewed 31 December 2011

It is hard to spot this hotel, as the word Mercure appears in a very small font, while Oakridge is much more prominent. Very nicely located (you can drive off to Queenstown off the parking lot, literally) and very well laid out, so that small units with two apartments on the top floor and one on the ground one do not overwhelm and do not face each other creating a wonderful sensation of being almost alone.
The rooms are VERY nice with modern furniture, walk-in showers and balconies with tables and chairs. Electric kettle and refrigerator are provided.
There is a pool and five or six hot tubs which are not jacuzzis (though they used to be). The hotel is visibly a ski lodge, so in the summer the views of the mountains are great, but I suspect that in the winter they are even more spectacular.
The staff was perfect - attentive, cheerful and resourceful.
HIGHLY recommmended

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Arrived to find they weren't expecting us for another 4 days...fortunately I had printed off the email to prove they were wrong. No apology. Not a great start! They did at least find us a spare room, which was ready to go in. (The woman next to me had been waiting an hour to get into her room, this was at 3pm, it still wasn't ready) Things wrong with the room:- socket for kettle at floor level squashed down between a desk and a wall, so difficult to access; sinks in bathroom so small you can't get a kettle in to fill it up; tv up in a corner against the ceiling, gives you neck ache to watch, and reception is poor. Things right:- comfortable, big bed; clean room, good shower; balcony. Other things about the hotel:- they were offering free Internet while we were there (usually $8 an hour), the receptionist asked how long I was staying. When I said 2 nights she gave me an access code that lasted 1 hour. When I went back to renew it, I was given 24 hours and told " that will keep you going". NO! If you offer free wifi, I want it for the duration of the stay. I do not want to have to keep trailing back to reception asking for a bit more! The hotel is a long way from the lake and town. To compensate there are 2 small pools and several hot tubs outside. Unfortunately the lap pool was closed when we were there. ( I notice other reviewers saying the same thing) So the one pool that was open was very busy, and the 10 or so loungers permanently occupied. The hot pools however, were lovely.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Run by Williams hotel, where their brand was more prominent than Accor. No acknowledgement of A Club status on arrival. Room was spacious, but lacked air con and in the middle of summer was too hot. Windows could not be opened while not in the room as this compromised security. Room had a nice ball of someone else's hair on the floor. Of the 3 pools only 1 was usable on arrival. The main excercise pool remained closed for the duration. The restaurant was expensive for the area. Breakfast was below par, my pre-paid arrangement had not been passed on. The hot buffet was luke warm and the choice did not match the menu description. The jug of hot water for tea had had coffee made in it previously and thus the tea tasted of coffee.

The spa was excellent. I had a 60 minute massage, which was the best I've had in recent times, highly recommended. The other positive was the free WiFi, greatly appreciated. This hotel has huge potential to be a spectacular hotel, but is not currently run as one.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo