“Paper thin walls, very noisy - ruined an otherwise nice stay!”

Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Wanaka
Reviewed 9 May 2009

I was so happy with everything about this hotel - except that it's so noisy!!!

The rooms are gorgeous and warm, it's all very clean and the staff are friendly, the beds are comfortable BUT I was disturbed by other hotel guests on a number of occassions.

I stayed in a hotel room and there were four in my block (two upstairs and two downstairs). Whenever my upstairs neighbour opened his door the suction it created made my door bang. In addition to that, the doors aren't quietly self-closing and people tend to slam them and because the walls are so thin it was very loud in my room and made me jump out of my skin on several occasions. I could also hear my neighbour very clearly blowing his nose in his bathroom! He did blow his nose really loudly, but still, if the place was built properly I shouldn't have been able to hear it at all. The other problem was that every time the main downstairs door was used it created a suction and made my door bang again, and I could also hear people going up and down the stairs, which ran next to my room. I was awoken at midnight when the downstairs people came back to the hotel talking and banging doors. It's pretty disgraceful when hotel guests going about their business has to impact so greatly on other guests just because they place was obviously built very cheaply without proper insulation and proper materials being used.

When I checked out the person at reception asked how my stay was and I said that everything was great except the noise. They said they know that the "walls are paper thin" and they often get complaints (other guests have complained about hearing their neighbours talking in their room).

So yeh, very disappointed, would never stay there again just because of the shoddy way the place was built.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank HarlemRain
FraserMcKenzie, General Manager at Oakridge Resort Lake Wanaka, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2009

Thanks for your comments. I see that you rated everything else well which is great. From this feedback we can work on the door closers and seals to try to lessen any noise. While the door closers are part of the Hotel guest security & fire safety I'm sure that if something can be done we will do it.

Fraser McKenzie

Reviewed 30 April 2009

This place is not near the lake, let alone in view of it. The views are of the other apartments and the parking lot. The hot pools are nice, if not all opened. The staff is very junior, nice but inexperienced. Food was good, but I think we waited 2h for dinner with hungry kids in a boring dining room the first night. The lodge upstairs is beautiful, and I don't know why they don't use it. The best part of Wanaka was the fly/cruise to Milford Sound (which we are still billed for twice on our credit card) and Puzzling World. I was irritated to have to pay for internet (especially when the kids didn't know they had to turn it off and our card ran out!)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank SeoulDoc
Reviewed 24 April 2009

This hotel was booked as part of a packaged itinerary. WOW! The rooms were actually almost like small apartments, or chalets; very clean, updated, posh. We had a balcony which was wonderful.

We were on a self-drive 10 day tour and this was the best hotel for us. The only drawback that it's about an hour drive from Queenstown, which is where all the tourists and attractions are located. We took a more direct route which involved windy roads down a mountain where some of the curves were limited to 15 km/hr....beautiful drive though. Queenstown is where you want to be if you're a foreigner visiting. Lake Wanaka and its town is much smaller and quieter. We prefer staying in Queenstown but this hotel exceeded our expectations. We didn't mind the drive back and forth....

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank heyheyyu
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Very quiet surroundings with beautiful views of the mountains all around. Wanaka is a gorgeous, must-see part of the South Island and I would have been just as happy staying in the town centre as it has such a nice feel to it.
The rooms are new, modern furnishings and we had a great balcony overlooking the gardens. The accommodation is in blocks with a single entry door leading to a staircase and 3 accommodation rooms and is annoying as you get woken up everytime the other occupants come home at night.
We booked a Unwind in Wanaka package and it was brilliant - facial for me, massage for husband and a 2 course dinner as well as the accommodation. This was great value and the food was really nice with a good choice of courses from the restricted menu.
Loved the pools, spas and gym and wished we could have stayed one extra night however the accommodation in our next destination was already booked so had to move on the next day.
When we checked out there was a problem with a group of people in front of us checking out from a wedding party the night before (their bill was wrong) so it took a while with the queue buiding up and only one person on Reception to deal with this.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nikkibub
Reviewed 29 March 2009

We stayed in this hotel on our way to Queenstown. After checking in, we found out that our room was on upper level and the hotel doesn't have any lift, so we had to carry our luggage up the stairs. The first thing we noticed: the room was small. The room hardly has any space for TV, it has to be put on the ceiling. The bathroom, fortunately, was quite spacious with two basins. Our room has balcony with nice view. Judging from its appearance, I believe the hotel was previously a series of bungalow converted into hotel rooms. That explains why the room is small.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We stayed at Oakridge Wanaka in a two bedroom apartment with our two boys in October last year and had a great time.

At the time they were just finishing up on the changes to the pool area so there were builders but they all were very nice and the noise was kept to a minimum, really it didn't change the fact that we had a great time. The kids swam every day and I just asked at the front desk about extra towels and a couple of hours later we had four more towels delivered to our rooms. In the middle of our stay we dediced to cook a roast for dinner and I rang reception again and asked very nicely if I could get a bit of flour so as to make some gravy and 20 minutes later one of the staff members delivered a cup of flour - great service and the gravy really made the roast!

Wanaka is one of NZ's most beautiful places and we really enjoyed our time down there with lots of things to do and see, which kept us and our two young boys entertained all week.

We are looking forward to going again later on this year.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 March 2009

We have a family of six and stayed at The Oakridge Resort for 9 days. Staying in unit 80 we had uninterrupted views of the mountains and complete privacy. The resort offers all services including what we found fantastic heated pools which we enjoyed at the end of each day after visiting all the local attractions. The kids had a great time with the pools, close by parks and even relaxing within the unit itself. The unit is very modern with 3 plasma TV's and an attached DVD meaning no fighting to watch what ever the kids wanted to. We found that having a gym on site enabled us to get up and walk to get our daily fitness activity very convenient.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family