“One of the highlights of our holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Small-Group Gold Discovery Horse Riding in Cardrona Valley
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: First class scenic horse trekking and quad bike tours of the stunning Cardrona Valley, South Island, New Zealand
Cromwell, New Zealand
“One of the highlights of our holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

When I booked our family to do the 3.5hrs horse trek with Cardrona Horses I was a little bit nervous as my kids had never been horse riding before & I was unsure if they would enjoy it. Man, I'm so glad I took the risk. This horse trek was one of the highlights of our family holiday to Wanaka. The girls at Cardrona horses were fantastic & really put my boys (8yrs & 11yrs) at ease. My boys had smiles the whole time from ear to ear - they still talk about the trek & the horses they were able to ride (Andy & Ginger Beer). Not only did our kids have a wonderful experience, so too did my husband & I. We especially liked to stop for a drink at Cardrona Hotel midway through the trek. What a beautiful pub - the locals were friendly & the garden out the back amazing. All in all my whole family would recommend Cardrona Horses to anyone visting Wanaka or the surrounding area. Thanks to the girls at Cardrona Horses for a creating a memorable experience for our family - next time were down we will definately come for another trek :-)

Visited April 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Family Fun - Horse Riding and Quad Bikes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We had a fabulous afternoon with Kelly and Sarah, with seven members of our family enjoying the Cardrona hills on horseback and quad bikes simultaneously. Our three daughters, ages 11, 9 and 6 rode horses along with their grandmother (all novices), and the other three adults followed Sarah on quad bikes. Sarah and Kelly were amazing - so professional and fabulous, making sure all of us were safe and having a super time throughout. Kelly led the riders, keeping our youngest close on a lead line so that she felt grown up on her own horse but safe and secure with Kelly holding on to her. The views were absolutely gorgeous, a stop at the Cardrona Hotel for a glass of wine was delightful, and the entire experience was just about the best way to spend an afternoon in Wanaka as we could have hoped. Thank you Kelly and Sarah for your fabulous hospitality and we hope to come back some day and explore the hills with you yet again!

Visited January 2014
Cirencester
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Horse Riding - Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My wife & I went horse riding with Sarah, Kel, & Sam & we have to say that it was the best activity that we did during our 4 week holiday in NZ. Whether you are a complete novice or an experienced rider like my wife, this was just a fantastic afternoon of riding which included a visit to the historic Cardrona Hotel for a refreshment stop with drinks provided. Sarah took some great photos of us along the way, (while still managing to ride her horse) & emailed them to us which was great. The horses were well cared for & well trained so very easy to ride. Mine was called Ginger Beer & he was just brilliant & although being a novice I felt very comfortable on him. If you have a few hours to spare in Wanaka then take the short 20 minute drive along she Cardrona Valley & get in the saddle!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank MasterMariner_8
London, United Kingdom
“Horse Riding and Quad bikes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Close to the Cardrona hotel and next to the 'Bra Fence' there is a great stables which also offers quad bikes. Kelly the owner is brilliant, it's a super area to ride around. The horses are really well kept, the kit are all very good and I followed on a quad bike which was perfect. We would highly recommend if you are looking to do some riding to go with Kelly at the Cardrona which really does have something to offer to everyone.

Visited March 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful day of horseback riding! The best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

We had a free day in Wanaka on our vacation to New Zealand, and saw a flier for the Cardrona Horse Riding Tours. We called and Sarah was able to book us for the very next day, even though it was a holiday. The horses were beautiful and in fantastic health - you can tell they are well loved! And our guide, Kelly, was phenomenal. She is clearly an expert with her horses, and knows their different personalities so she can match you with the right horse. After a short tutorial on horse riding, she took us through the mountains/steams/sheep, giving us some interesting regional and historical information along the way. We were able to cantor with the horses as well (or not, if you aren't comfortable - she will tailor the experience to your riding abilities). And, an added bonus, we stopped at the historic Cardrona hotel for a drink (included) 2 hours into a 3 hours ride (a welcome break!). Afterwards, we were able to help feed the horses their dinner, and spend time petting them and feeding them apples.

Kelly even took pictures of us along the way, and sent them to us after the ride (for free!!), which allowed us to sit back and enjoy the experience without trying to take pictures and balance a camera with horse reins.

I highly recommend this activity - it was the highlight of our trip!

Visited February 2014