“Used to be so much better”

Winston Gardens Chinese Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have been eating at this restaurant for over 25 years, but lately after re-opening due to renovations in the centre, it is not the same. We went on a Saturday evening a few weeks ago to celebrate a family birthday. It was sooooo loud we could not hear each other across the table. The tables were so jam packed, it was difficult to walk through the aisles.The lovely host and waitress Annie, were missing also: I don't know whether it has new owners. They have a band which is fine, but on this occasion they allowed a group of 12 year old girls to take over the dance floor to celebrate their netball grand final win and no one else could get near it due to 9 screaming dancing girls and their parents.I don't think restaurants on a Saturday night should be inundated with noisy children.The food was fine as usual, but I will not return as it has lost its atmosphere and good feel and now is noisy and crowded unfortunatley.

1  Thank Marilynr36

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My family and friends have been attending this restaurant for the best part of 35 years.
We always felt welcome, never waited long for our meal even on Saturday nights and the food and staff were first class, however, we have noticed over the past several months some of the meals have become tasteless and not of the same quality as before and the home delivery meals are barely warm.
I am afraid this restaurant has lost that "something special" for us as regular patrons which makes me sad as we had so many years of happy memories, good food and wonderful staff, I guess nothing stays the same forever.

Helen

Reviewed 16 July 2013

New fit out has vastly improved the feel of this suburban gem. Good quality Western style Chinese featuring tried and true favourites and some options from the tank. Efficient welcoming service and good parking within the building.
Ideal for a business lunch where options in the area are somewhat limited !

Overall a pleasant dining experience which could be enhanced by some more authenitic dishes on the menu !!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I booked this Chinese for my birthday in April because we had been there several times before and had an amazing time. At the time of booking I said there would be between 10 and 15. I was told that would be no problem. When we arrived they had only set up for 9 so when the other 6 people arrived the wait staff got so annoyed and set a table up half way across the room even though there was another table right beside us! Nobody was seated at it for the whole night! Then all our drinks came out wrong and the waiter was smelling them to tell which was bourbon and whiskey. I was left waiting for almost 45 mins for champagne twice on my birthday! The other table's dinner was rushed,they had ordered eaten & paid when we had not been served our Mains. We ordered a banquet plus a vegetarian spring rolls (that had ham in them) & a main which came out first. The waitress said nothing, we were left waiting for each course to come out for a long time. The other table were ready to leave as we could not all sit together and enjoy the night. The staff were rude and could barely understand English. I had such a horrible birthday, I was so embarrassed that I had raved about how good this place was. Of all the 15 people that were there, we will NEVER eat at this restaurant again and we will tell everybody in the hills area about our terrible time considering we spent over $700 that night. What a sham if a restaurant. If you are fully booked then don't take the booking. Just be honest with the customer instead of ruining their birthday night with family and friends!

1  Thank Sharon O
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Great place with live music on Friday and Saturday nights for dancing or listening. Food is really good too has yum cha at lunch time also has bar service, special celebrations for the chinese new year annually