“Sweet Reverie in Dream World”

Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge
Ranked #3 of 16 Speciality Lodging in Nyeri
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

My stay in Tafaria was what I would call walking into a sweet dream.
Everything about it was magical.
Right from our awesome welcome at the gate by the gatekeeper.
The staff are all wonderful, all working towards making your stay memorable and I loved the way they all went out of their way to make you feel special.
I loved the tour of the place with Daniel and we were all truly immersed into the stories of castles, vikings, damsels and all.
We stayed at the Damsel Rooms and the rooms are special. I loved the hot water bottles we found tucked in our beds at night for warmth. How caring.
The meals are lovely and we had our own 'disco' at the fireplace sipping our drinks.
Everything was just magical and we truly enjoyed the castle feeling.
Would go back any day.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SusanGitonga
Mary N, General Manager at Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hi Susan and many thanks for your compliments, it was lovely having you around and we are pleased you got more than what you expected! We look forward to welcoming you back at the Castle in the near future:)

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Awesome awesome experience.great outdoors with quad bikes which made total kids out of us.The rooms were good very clean and comfortable..excellent balcony view with Mt.Kenya on the one hand and the aberdare ranges on the other..food was great as well..would love to go back again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kaswii
Reviewed 9 September 2013

For the first time in my life, my kids didn't want to go back home!
Masaku at the entrance, great guy, and will happily give you tips on how to enjoy the stay, and even when leaving, he'll give you great advise on the best route to use and what to expect.
Daniel & Diana, I never asked for anything they didn't deliver, awesome crew.
When my daughter wanted to see what is at the Dungeon, Daniel left everything and took us around the photos and the history, that was humbling.
Victor at the restaurant was excellent, even where there was buffet, he didn't mind serving us, and everything we asked for, was delivered, quite an experience.
The Chef, a great guy, he not only cooked good food, he followed it up with us, to see our experience.
James the room steward, ever on call, he brought the hot water bottles even before we could ask, if that isn't going out of one's way, then ain't sure of any.
The Lodge calling us later to know if we reached our destination safely, never has that been done before.
Splendid, can't wait for another trip.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, though I used Lost Knights.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gibson M
Mary N, Front Office Manager at Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hi Gibson, lovely feedback thanks! The team prides in personalized services and making all part of the Tafaria family! Hope to book you back for Christmas, will have an amazing program for the whole family..

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Its a nice place where one just gets out of the norm in terms of ambiance.The lodge is good, with nice rooms, good food and nice and friendly service. Its very thoughtful of the staff that they gave us a heater even though they had given us hot water bottles. They really personalize their services. The view over the Aberdares is to die for.

I would recommend Tafaria without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Primrose118
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Lovely place with amazing staff who go out of their way to make their guests as comfortable as possible!

I loved the serenity the place offers and the amazing accommodation; out of this world shower, super comfy beds, wifi in the rooms and even fireplaces in some considering how cold that area gets!

It is a place for everyone; family, singles, couples and even going there as friends. It is definitely a place I see myself going to again!

For more on my experience at Tafaria, have a look at my travel blog post on the place http://elsiemtembezi.wordpress.com/2013/08/29/tafaria-castle/

Room Tip: Choose a room with a fireplace
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Elsie N
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My experience at Tafaria was absolutely amazing! I felt like I was in a sort of a 'dream', like I had been transported to a different time and place. Everything about the Castle is carefully thought out..the rooms are so beautiful and warm and cosy! The decor is exquisite.
The kids had so much fun swimming, horse riding and most of all the quad bikes. We also got a beautiful view of Mt. Kenya and the Aberdare ranges as well....Best of all...the food is excellent. Kudos to the chef!! oh and all the staff are so friendly, helpful and sensitive to kids...many thanks to Kimutai for his help with the bikes and the fishing! I could go on and on....but will definitely visit again....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I had been planning to take our kids to Tafaria for a long time. Our opportunity to stay here presented itself when we were not with the kids. My wife and I really enjoyed the visit.

If you are arriving at night, the signage on the Nyeri - Nyahururu road is not easy to read, so we passed the Tafaria turn-off and almost decided against turning back. Aren't I glad we didn't do that!

The ambience is authentic medieval, and one feels transported to a different time and place.

Food is of very good quality and the portions are very generous. We had buffet dinner and breakfast and got a picnic lunch packed for us the following day.

Our accommodation was very cosy in the "lost knights" tents. Our worry about being cold in the night was quickly dispelled when hot water bottles and a room heater were provided.

There were a couple of corporate team building activities running which led to a very lively night of music, drink and dance at the "dungeon".

My wife and I got to plant a tree on the compound, so we are now forever attached to Tafaria.

Staff and management are very friendly, attentive and knowledgeable.

Well done, keep it up!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Roy K
Mary N, General Manager at Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Hi Roy, nice to hear you accomplished one of your "bucket lists" at Tafaria and good to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon with the whole family, kids can take part in horse riding, quade bike and fishing, I am sure they will have a blast!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nyeri
Green HIlls Hotel
Maiyan
Maiyan
#2 of 8 in Nanyuki Town
The Panari Resort Nyahururu

Been to Tafaria Castle and Country Lodge? Share your experiences!