“Nothing compares...”

Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 days with the family in the sable suite. You keep on being impressed in how many ways the staff will try to accomodate all your needs: the food is excellent, you choose when and what activities you desire. The horses live amongst the game so while riding you get very close to the game. We came within meters of girafs, rhino, zebras, gnu, sable antilope,...
The horses are very well kept and trained. When signing up for a lesson they fit the right horse for the right person. An injured antilope had to be caught and treated by the vet. The staff invited us to join and is was an unique experience.
Overall, an unforgettable experience and a must go!!!

Stayed: July 2014
Antslodges, Public Relations Manager at Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2014

Thank you very much for your great review. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed so many of the things we have on offer. Please visit again

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed in the Ant's Hill property for three nights in late June. It was our first trip to the continent, and Ant's Hill was a lovely introduction. The site is serene, safe, and private. We enjoyed daily horseback rides (sometimes twice daily) with two guides. There was no problem at all with riders of all ages and abilities, including our children aged 6-11.
Seeing the landscape and animals from horseback was a truly special experience. I also enjoyed the game drive to the Ant's Nest's property to see the endangered rhinos. However, there is something to be truly savored about being one with the landscape on horseback.
I've never stayed at an inclusive property before. I found that it's quite relaxing to have meals taken care of while we were busy with activities (game rides, drives, and the gorgeous pool). The food was excellent, and the children especially enjoyed eating outside in the bush after one of our rides.
All the staff were lovely, and we thank Jess and Chase for their warm hospitality. We all learned a lot from them about wildlife conservation in South Africa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank walkhappy1

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are so glad to see that you and your family enjoyed all we have to offer at Ant's and we hope to have you visit us again

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This has to be the best experience ever. First we counted the animals, easy to get close to as we were on horseback, then we helped to capture some. Some were re located, tagged, inoculated, saved from poachers or just treated. It was incredible, like being in a documentary. This was the annual game census.
The lodges were 5 star, food excellent, staff brilliant and attentive, horses were well schooled, fit and totally up to the job with long long canters across fantastic bush.
I cannot wait for my next trip.

Room Tip: World view is spectacular
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PK1023K

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review
We are glad that you could be part of the experience of our annual game census and we hope to see you again

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This is the second year in a row that I have joined the annual game census at Ants and what an amazing experience! If you ever fantasize about being in the middle of your own wildlife documentary then this is as close as you will get! An amazing week of riding in the pristine bush, helping the Ants team to capture animals - this year we had the privilege to be part of their anti-poaching rhino horn treatment on their rhino & never did I think I would say that I helped roll over a rhino! The vets are great at sharing information and you have the opportunity to be hands on in helping - under the excellent guidance of the team. Whilst the week is more focused on the wildlife tasks that need to be done than only guest activities, there is a great balance with leisure time, activities of choice from mountain biking to game drive - or another horse ride or an indulgent massage! This is my favourite place to escape and enjoy great game viewing on horse-back and I cannot wait to be back for census 2015! Thanks to the great team for an amazing time!

Room Tip: There is a room for everyone - Eagles Nest is great for singles, The Lookout is a romantic hideway...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Panthera007

Thank you very much for your review and also for visiting us again during our census
We do hope to have you back next time

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Another visit to Ant's Nest back in March which was exceptional and only positive things to report. Hugely helpful and kind staff (shout out in particular to Fred, AJ and Pippa) who'll do anything to make your stay that bit better. Great game drives and riding alike with delicious food all day long.
Highlights include swimming with the horses and touching the white rhino (which Ant is really working on to protect). Great range of animals to see and because of the great surroundings and treatment of them you can often get extremely close especially on horseback.
Would recommend to people of all ages and types as everyone will enjoy themselves.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank otjs
Antslodges, Public Relations Manager at Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your great review. We are so happy to hear that you had a good time and we do hope that your next visit is already in the planning

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've been to Ant's Hill 8 times within three years. I live in Los Angeles; which makes it quite a bit of journey to get to Ant's Hill, but it's well worth it! The first time I went to Ant's I went with a buddy of mine who also loves to ride. Well, she got married and had a baby; so I've been going there solo ever since! Ant's is an extremely comfortable place to go if you are by yourself; the staff is friendly, and all the activities can be done either with others or alone. I am an experienced rider and sometimes, I'm the only experienced rider staying at the lodge. I'm always offered the option of going out with the guides myself or joining the group. The staff always hosts at meals; usually the guides, so even if you are the only guest you never eat alone (unless you want to). Penni, the lodge manager at Ant's Hill goes above and beyond to make sure all guests are comfortable; whether it's me as a solo traveler or a family of six who've never been to Africa before, she makes sure everyone is well looked after! In regards to food; Eric, Friday and Peter the chefs make some of the most delicious meals I've ever had! What they do with lamb is amazing, and the deserts are unbelievably good! Don't expect to lose weight if you go to Ant's even with all the riding and other activities. Trust me, you will never go hungry. I am addicted to the home made shortbread cookies that they put in a jar in the rooms. When they bring me my coffee in the morning (yes they actually will bring you coffee/tea / cocoa as your wake up call) I always raid that cookie jar. Even if you are not an equestrian I urge you to go out on the rides. The horses are hands down the best trained trekking horses I've ever ridden (I lost count past 40 on all the riding trips I've done all around the world), and the riding guides know exactly which horses to assign to a person whose never sat a horse before and which ones to give experienced riders. I've seen people who had never ridden before gain enough confidence on these lovely Boerpard horses to actually canter after one or two tries at riding! For experienced riders the place is a hoot; fun well trained horses. Guides who listen and will go at what pace you ask for (Honest Ant we are not galloping; just really fast canters that seem to be gallops..)! By the way; Ant is a real person. Ant and his wife Tessa are both interesting people and are very involved with saving the White Rhino as well as very involved with the community of Vaalwater (the nearest town to Ant's). If you go to Ant's you will be amazed at how close you can safely get to the wildlife. The horses live and range outside, and are used to all the wildlife. There are no lions or elephants at Ant's; so it's safe to leave the horses out. Some of the mammals that are at Ant's are; Sable Antelope, Wildebeest, Kudu, Cape Buffalo, Eland, White Rhino, Giraffe, Impala, Gemsbok, Waterbuck, Nyala, Duiker, Bat Eared Foxes, Shiny Tailed Squirrels, Smiths Bush Squirrel, Caracal, Cape Hare, Pangolin, Aardvark, Aardwolf, Brown Hyena, Genet, Civet, Jackal, Chacma Baboons (who all advertise for yahoo; if you go to Ant's and hear their call you will understand what I mean), Vervet Monkeys, Blasebok and Bushbabies to name a few. All rooms come with pest control in the form a gecko, who is on the payroll, so don't be alarmed when you see him/her come out in the evening to do his/her job. The rooms are beautiful, and very comfortable. Everything is kept immaculate; which is amazing as the lodge is in a rural bush area. I can not say enough about how courteous, kind and fun the staff is. All the people from the gardeners to the guides are just wonderful people. Penni the lodge manager is always gracious and seems to always be able to find a way to grant every guests (reasonable) requests. I am already planning my next visit back!

Room Tip: All rooms are fantastic. Note, they do not have a spa, but do offer massages, and as for a fitness c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank B L
Antslodges, Public Relations Manager at Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

It is always wonderful to get your review as we feel so honoured that you choose to come back to Ant's year after year. We hope that we will be able to continue to keep up to good work to have you back many more times

Reviewed 3 June 2014

From the moment I arrived was made to feel at home and one of the family. Nothing was too much trouble, tea in bed in the morning, breakfast whenever and whatever I wanted followed by lunch, afternoon tea, sundowners and dinner. I even managed to fit in 5 hours riding a day, with my horse arriving all groomed and ready for a ride. Great horses and guides who were very willing to show me their home. As the horses live out you could get really close to the animals, zebra and giraffe were quite happy to spend time with us. Really special to get close to white rhino and hear all that Ant's are doing to protect them. Throughly recommend Ant's for both riders and non riders as plenty of other activities available.

Room Tip: Standard rooms have the same level of care and attention to detail as the Deluxe rooms, just a littl...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Elaine J

Thank you for the wonderful review and we are glad to see that you have enjoyed so many of the things we offer. We are looking forward to your next visit

Also consider these accommodations in or near Vaalwater
Kololo Game Reserve
#7 of 17 in Welgevonden Game Reserve
Clifftop Lodge
Clifftop Lodge
#5 of 17 in Welgevonden Game Reserve

Been to Ant's Hill & Ant's Nest? Share your experiences!