“A lovely retreat, though beware of obstructed views”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I recently stayed at Z hotel for 2 nights on a solo holiday. After spending 3 nights in Dar and 2 nights in Stonetown in budget hotels, I decided to splurge on an ocean view room at Z. Imagine my disappointment when my "ocean view" was completely obstructed by overgrown trees! I immediately requested a room switch and was initially ignored by a very rude front desk employee (Abdul or Mohamed perhaps?). Fortunately, I persisted and the very gracious hotel manager moved me to a nice room with a true ocean view in an adjacent building.

The service, with the very notable exception of the rude guy at the front desk, was great (I'd have given 4 or 5 stars, but that guy really got under my skin). The massage was heaven. Food was overpriced, but delicious, as were the drinks. The infinity pool was great to look at, but hard to enjoy. Service there was lacking and it was a bit noisy due to shaky/rumbling floorboards and tons of flies! The hotel should really do something about that -- there must be candles or something they can put out there.

Rooms were gorgeous! Great bath products. Mosquito nets. Spacious balconies. The only downsides were the very thin walls. Fortunately, I had ear plugs.

Overall, it was a lovely retreat, and a nice way to pamper myself after several days of traveling.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Z Hotel Zanzibar

Reviewed 12 March 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks staying at the Z hotel after getting married there.

It is always a risk relying on the Internet to research a wedding abroad when you haven't been there yourself but we were definitely not disappointed in the Z hotel. The views are breath taking and the rooms are lovely. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Z suite which was great but all our family members were very happy with the standard rooms.

The food was very good and there is often entertainment put on in the evenings which adds to the Zanzibar experience. The thing that really stood out to all of us was the service from the staff. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and could not do enough for you.

Our wedding was absolutely perfect which is largely thanks to all the staff working hard to ensure things ran smoothly and they accommodated all our requests.

The Z hotel is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at and the fact we got married there makes it all the more special. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My dad and I had an excellent stay at Z hotel. As soon as we entered the hotel we were welcomed by the friendly staff and served fresh juice and hot towels to freshen up. The room was nice and light. The food in both restaurants was delicious, especially when they organised the barbecue on the beach. The restaurants are beautifully located above the see, one morning we even saw dolphins passing by during breakfast. The dive center connected to the hotel organised some great scuba diving trips for us. Lot's of nice bars and restaurants in the area if we wanted to get a change of scenery, Stunning beach and a marvellous infinity swimmingpool: a perfect location to enjoy the beautiful sunsets while sipping one of the exotic fresh fruit cocktails of the pool bar....

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Sophie_Lqt
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Unusually for my husband and I, we decided after our trip to the Z hotel last year that we had to return again. We were not disappointed. Keith, the owner was again a fantastic host. We stayed in one of the beach cottages - amazing. Absolute luxury, the best bit being the wonderful deck area over the sea. What a view!
The Z hotel has got even better than last year. The service was always so friendly and very efficient (please bear in mind though that this is Africa, not New York and you can't go wrong). The staff are always so kind and keen to help. The location of the hotel is stunning, being on the best part of Nungwi beach by far - miles of white sand and none of the seaweed that seems to plague other parts.
For me, the hotel has been so well designed it is literally a feast for the eyes any way which way you turn. There is so much attention to detail and it is so pretty and so different to the other hotels along the coastline.

So, thanks to Keith and the staff again for a great trip - we will return!
Grace and Alan

2  Thank gmary1
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We had some concerns about traveling so far from the US without the benefit of knowing someone who had ever been to Zanzibar - let alone the Z, but based on everthing we read (including on Trip Advisor) we booked our trip -- LUCKY Us! The Z Hotel is a magical hideaway from the rest of the world. The staff is the secret ingredient to this spectacular place. They are themselves - which is always smiling, giggling, happy, friendly, helpful and comfortable with the guests as if we were part of their family. No member of the staff ever gave me the impression that they were interested in a tip. When I gave them tips, they quietly and graciously accepted, but it is not their apparent reason for being who they are. Their presence and way about them started every day on the right foot and finsished the evenings with a happy glow. While I could tell you numerous stories about the staff, let me share the last one. My wife and I fly separately. Abdullah at the front desk could tell that I was concerned about our flights leaving Zanzibar as my wife and daughter's flight left after mine and I was anxious about what they would do if their flight got canceled. Abdullah said "Why don't we just have Said (the hotel driver and sweet man) drop you off and WAIT at the airport to make sure all goes well. Unreal. The physical layout of the Z is the work of some master architect who clearly sat back and smiled at the result of this work. The place fits beautifully into the beach and surroundings - with its setback and cornered layout and its thatched roofs and white walls - it creates a little secret cove along the sea. From the infinity pool, to the indescribable beach/ocean, to the high end food and menu choices at Cinamon and Saruche the place is not to be missed. We had 2 connecting rooms - Deluxe Sea View rooms. Just perfectly appointed and the views and breezes are not to be believed. Tony in Mrembo tours hooked us up with a Spice Farm trip (ask for the Big Body Farm and Saidi as a guide once you get there - priceless), a Stone Town trip (don't miss the daily market), parasailing and a WONDERFUL day trip by boat to the beautiful beach and community of Kwenda just a 10 minute boat ride down the beach. All recommended highly. Take a walk on the beach to the north for 15 minutes to the Dow building area of the beach and watch the men do their thing. There is also a sandbar right there that is not to be missed. Just take the walk in the morning as it gets hot later in the day. Dinner Friday night at the Z was on the beach in front of the hotel. A Must. They planned it out perfectly so the waves lapped right up to the tables. What a scene. Obviously, being on the west coast of the island, the sunsets are a nightly 3 act play not to be missed. Watch the sky turn every color of the rainbow after sunset. Julie -- THANK YOU for running such a world class destination and for creating a place and atmosphere that ensured the most lovely vacation with my wife and daughter. You are an ACE!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Britishbeer
Reviewed 22 February 2011

We had the most amazing holiday-I could not find fault (unlike me), from checking in to departing (did not want to leave). Rooms beautiful and decor trendy but classy (flat screen t.v and Ipod dock), staff happy (always a very good indication of a well run ship) and helpful-service with a smile , the 'infinity pool' breathtaking and so therapeutic, food excellent - quiet evenings balanced well with cultural entertainment. The hotel is literally on the white coral beach -has private section with sunbeds and shade if preferred. Bar pool service excellent, cocktails 'loverly'. Even has a small boutique, which has lovely quality trinkets and beachwear, A trip to Stonetown, Spice tour, all organised by the hotel, really stress free holiday. Would like to say "Thank you" again Z Hotel for making our holiday amazing, can't wait to come back!

Reviewed 17 February 2011

Our stay in Z Hotel was extremely relaxing and couldn't be any closer to what we would call Paradise. The Facilities were of a european standard and could not be faulted. All of the staff were so helpful and always had smiles on their faces.
The food was of a an excellent standard and the views from the restaurant were breath taking.
We were lucky enough to book into the "Cottage Suite" and we were bowled over by it. the standard of the room was spot on and as for the 30ft private sun terrace reaching out into the turquoise blue ocean....well you will have to book it to really experience it!

This Hotel is one I would like to go back to again and again, if you are fortunate to be able to stay there you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 17 in Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!