“A chic beach-side hotel perched on brilliant white sand”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Brisbane, Australia
“A chic beach-side hotel perched on brilliant white sand”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

From the moment you enter the hotel grounds you know you're in for a delightful stay. A warm welcome and greeting by the friendly staff, followed by a cool face towel and freshly squezed juice which you so desperately need after the long, hot road trip from Stonetown. This hotel oozes chic from the design, layout and colour scheme - with the guest rooms finely appointed and perfect after a day at the beach. The Sea View rooms display french doors that open out to a generous sized balcony where you can relax with a glass of wine or beer overlooking the turquious water of the Indian Ocean. It's a great way to unwind before heading out for dinner. The hotel restaurant offers an exceptional menu or many of the local restaurants all within very close proximity. Each night there is a different menu or themes offered. We were fortunate to experience a Sunday night Seafood Buffet that was set up on the beach at the front section of the hotel. It was a magical setting of decadent tables decorated to perfection on a moon-lit beach setting - and the food was exceptional and of fine dining standards.

By day if you want to relax by the pool or beach side in the hotels beach beds, then there is certainly a comforting aspect to the retreat. You're still amongst the atmosphere of the local movement of beach-boys, Maasai and others wandering around selling items, yet still within the hotel grounds to not feel like must buy something. Great spot to take photos, if that's your passion.

The pool bar food and beverage list is extensive and I couldn't go past the Nicoise Salad that was presented in an edible Pappadum shell with fresh Grilled Tuna and salad. Three words - Delicious, healthy and satisfying. And of course accompanied with a nice cold beer! So top notch for food at the hotel if you wish to relax by the pool or beach side and indulge in lunch with your book in hand, soaking up the sunshine and looking out to a picturesque setting. Truly you will not want to leave this place. I stayed 4 nights and unfortunately was commited elsewhere after this place, otherwise I would definitely have extended for 10 days! A wonderful hotel, magical desitination and the water you can swim in all day long.

There's lots of water sport activities to book if you choose to get active, plenty of beach walks, window shopping etc. Kendwa beach is about a 45 - 1 hour walk along the beach, pending on the tide. We walked in waist deep water at one point, with bags on head! However a beautiful walk and took a local dalla dalla back to Nungwi main town, then walked from there to the hotel (about 5 mins). If you want to kick your heels up then there's plenty of dancing at Kendwa Rocks, a hotel in Kendwa.

Really this place is pure bliss .... plenty of pool side, beach side relaxtion. Zanzibar is a wonderful destination and I definitely wish to return and would stay again at The Z Hotel.

And definitely stay a few nights in Stonetown. Either side of your trip ... you may like to return to Stonetown to shop before departing Zanzibar. Lots of wonderful shopping to be experienced!

Room Tip: Seaview room with balcony
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MichTravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed 31 March 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Z hotel for 3 days in March and were extremely pleased with the service and amenities. The hotel has the best beach of all the hotels we saw, It's also in a great area to be able to walk around and is surrounded by other restaurants and bars. Despite having a lot around, the layout of the hotel still allows it be very secluded and private. While the food at Z was incredible, I do recommend checking out some of the other nearby restaurants and bars at times as they are definitely cheaper.

I can't talk about the service at the hotel enough. I didn't use a travel agent and relied on Julie in guest relations frequently before my arrival. She was always quick to respond to my emails and extremely helpful. She also made a point of introducing herself upon our arrival. All the other people we met were extremely professional and friendly, as well. They definitely believe in customer service at the Z Hotel!

Finally, our room was excellent. We had a flat screen tv above the bed, a beautiful bathroom, and plush bathrobes! I didn't use the spa but heard that the massages were heavenly! Overall, I was so happy that I took the tripadvisor reviews to heart and booked our stay at the Z hotel. It was a luxurious treat after Kilimanjaro and a safari.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Schoonie21
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Z Hotel. A fantastic place, I was lucky enough to have one of the suites. The room was really large, with both a sundeck and a large balcony, so very spacious and well furnished, along with a great view over the beach.I particularly loved the restaurant, sitting on the deck with the sea underneath, really lovely, this combined with great food and service, makes it all amazing.
I spent most of my time in the hotel, as it supplies everything you need and more, but I also enjoyed wandering along the great beach and having drinks at the friendly local bars. I enjoyed the hotel so much, I will definitely return, the sooner the better. My congratulations to the owners and staff who have created something special in this part of Zanzibar.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I recently stayed at Z hotel for 2 nights on a solo holiday. After spending 3 nights in Dar and 2 nights in Stonetown in budget hotels, I decided to splurge on an ocean view room at Z. Imagine my disappointment when my "ocean view" was completely obstructed by overgrown trees! I immediately requested a room switch and was initially ignored by a very rude front desk employee (Abdul or Mohamed perhaps?). Fortunately, I persisted and the very gracious hotel manager moved me to a nice room with a true ocean view in an adjacent building.

The service, with the very notable exception of the rude guy at the front desk, was great (I'd have given 4 or 5 stars, but that guy really got under my skin). The massage was heaven. Food was overpriced, but delicious, as were the drinks. The infinity pool was great to look at, but hard to enjoy. Service there was lacking and it was a bit noisy due to shaky/rumbling floorboards and tons of flies! The hotel should really do something about that -- there must be candles or something they can put out there.

Rooms were gorgeous! Great bath products. Mosquito nets. Spacious balconies. The only downsides were the very thin walls. Fortunately, I had ear plugs.

Overall, it was a lovely retreat, and a nice way to pamper myself after several days of traveling.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks staying at the Z hotel after getting married there.

It is always a risk relying on the Internet to research a wedding abroad when you haven't been there yourself but we were definitely not disappointed in the Z hotel. The views are breath taking and the rooms are lovely. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to the Z suite which was great but all our family members were very happy with the standard rooms.

The food was very good and there is often entertainment put on in the evenings which adds to the Zanzibar experience. The thing that really stood out to all of us was the service from the staff. Everyone was so friendly and helpful and could not do enough for you.

Our wedding was absolutely perfect which is largely thanks to all the staff working hard to ensure things ran smoothly and they accommodated all our requests.

The Z hotel is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at and the fact we got married there makes it all the more special. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2011
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 10 March 2011

My dad and I had an excellent stay at Z hotel. As soon as we entered the hotel we were welcomed by the friendly staff and served fresh juice and hot towels to freshen up. The room was nice and light. The food in both restaurants was delicious, especially when they organised the barbecue on the beach. The restaurants are beautifully located above the see, one morning we even saw dolphins passing by during breakfast. The dive center connected to the hotel organised some great scuba diving trips for us. Lot's of nice bars and restaurants in the area if we wanted to get a change of scenery, Stunning beach and a marvellous infinity swimmingpool: a perfect location to enjoy the beautiful sunsets while sipping one of the exotic fresh fruit cocktails of the pool bar....

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Sophie_Lqt
uk
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Unusually for my husband and I, we decided after our trip to the Z hotel last year that we had to return again. We were not disappointed. Keith, the owner was again a fantastic host. We stayed in one of the beach cottages - amazing. Absolute luxury, the best bit being the wonderful deck area over the sea. What a view!
The Z hotel has got even better than last year. The service was always so friendly and very efficient (please bear in mind though that this is Africa, not New York and you can't go wrong). The staff are always so kind and keen to help. The location of the hotel is stunning, being on the best part of Nungwi beach by far - miles of white sand and none of the seaweed that seems to plague other parts.
For me, the hotel has been so well designed it is literally a feast for the eyes any way which way you turn. There is so much attention to detail and it is so pretty and so different to the other hotels along the coastline.

So, thanks to Keith and the staff again for a great trip - we will return!
Grace and Alan

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gmary1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
#3 of 167 in Zanzibar Island
Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel
Ras Nungwi Beach Hotel
#7 of 17 in Nungwi

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!