“Absolutely perfect!!”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My partner and I wanted to go to a romantic and relaxing destination as a reward for climbing Mt Kilimanjaro and we were very pleased with our choice of The Z Hotel!! We stayed here 5 nights in mid June, and we couldn't recommend this hotel enough! The staff were absolutely amazing, everything was "hakuna matata" and we were always made to feel very "karibu". On arrival you are given a lovely drink, a refresher towel and given a tour of the premises. My partner and I are very private people and we found that the staff at the hotel have the right balance of providing excellent friendly service without being either smothering or intrusive, so we always felt like we had privacy which really added to the romantic feel of the resort.
We flew into Zanzibar and organized our transfers through The Z Hotel. The weather at this time of year is still warm and we enjoyed swimming in both the hotel pool and ocean. During our time here it rained a couple of times, but the rain didn’t last long. It was a bit windy, so in the evenings it tended to be a little cool, but we just wore a light jacket to dinner and were warm enough.
We found our room very comfortable and the shower was amazing (especially after having camped for 7 days!). As we were fairly tired from our trek, all we wanted to do was relax – so we didn’t explore much of the island. We were more than happy to lounge around the hotel.
Although there are other places very close to the Z Hotel that you can dine at, we only ate away from the hotel for one night, when we went to the Mangi Bar. We both had a burger from here and the price was fair and the food was good. It was fairly busy and had a bit of a sports pub feel.
For all our other meals we ate at the hotel. We had breakfast included in our room fee. For me, breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and the variety of food that The Z Hotel had on offer should please anyone. My partner enjoyed the custom made omelets, whereas I prefer a continental breakfast and was very pleased with the fruit, museli and danishes offered. They even had Nutella! They had the full hot breakfast available and you could even get crepes made for you.
For lunch we ate at Cinnamons each day. We found the prices reasonable and there was enough variety to keep us coming back each day. We went to Sarachue for 3 of our 5 nights stay and enjoyed every meal. Our particular favourites were the ravioli (which I had twice cause it was so nice!) and my partner enjoyed the steak. They also had a chocolate brownie dessert which was amazing!!
I got a massage at the hotel while and also visited the Azizi boutique. At the time I only bought a bracelet as I thought that I would do more shopping in Stone Town before leaving Zanzizbar. We organized a snorkeling trip and a day trip to Stone town through Mremba tours and were happy with both the price and service that was provided. Our Stone Town tour was organized for the morning on the day we were flying out from Zanzibar. This was very convenient for us. When shopping in Stone Town, make sure you haggle. We were not prepared for the haggle process when we bought our spices, so we think that we over paid for them. We also went to Memories Souvenir Shop. The good thing about this place is that the prices are fixed and there is no need to haggle. The bad thing, is that we found it very expensive and didn’t end up buying anything from here. In fact after visiting this store, I wished that I bought more things from the Azizi boutique at The Z Hotel, in particular their bracelets and carved animals were very good prices.
After leaving the island my partner realized that he had left his sunglasses at the hotel. In addition I had accidentally broken the bracelet that I had bought from Azizi. When we had got home we emailed Julie the manager of the hotel. She had found the glasses and although we offered to pay, she organized for both the sunglasses and a new bracelet to be mailed to us in Australia – at no cost!! This was really above and beyond her duties as the manager. We also found that while booking our accommodation Julie was very attentive to all our questions. All in all, we had a fabulous time at The Z Hotel. We would love to visit Africa again and if we do, I will definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: We stayed room 19. It is classed as a deluxe garden view room. We could hear ocean and we looked dow...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
ZHotel, General Manager at The Z Hotel Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

What an amazing review, many many thanks. We’re delighted you had such a great time. We pride ourselves for providing the perfect location & environment to unwind after a Kilimanjaro climb &/or safari. With our chilled & relaxed atmosphere our guests soon feel rested & refreshed.

Indeed Julie is an asset to the company. It was a pleasure to reunite you with your sunglasses & a new bracelet, you’re very welcome & needless to say, it would be great to see you back here again one day.

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for The Z Hotel Zanzibar

Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Z Hotel 3 nights12/08/2013 -14/08/2013 // 25 years old // experienced travelers // 280$ per night (reasonable price compared to the Zanzibar hotel market): Best Hotel we stayed in Zanzibar out of three of same range of prices.
Main strengths:
Just amazing 3 days (minimum requested which is a great idea to squeeze and relax yourself // do not consider it as a stopper for your booking)
Great pool well aligned with the sea level creating a nice environment.
Nice and well treated design/architecture which is in ling and respectful with the environment.
Rooms with almost all facilities for a 5 star hotel free mini bar should be included (at least with basics no hard alcohol)
Polite and excellent guest relation -- Julie, in touch with us at least 5 times (well appreciated from our side)
Need to improve
Reach agreement with dive center in order to obtain discounts, at present it is the most expensive of the entire beach diving centers $130 (two divings)
Transfers organized by hotel double market price -- when you deal with waitress you obtain half price transfers
Need to include chilling area post dinner in order to maximize your time afterwards, possibility to have some drinks
Excellent swimming pool although with exceed of chlorine
Drinks are twice the price than if you go next door you buy beer and bring it to hotel -- highly recommended to review food and drinks prices - include ice creams for 5pm customers desires.
Restaurant(first floor) which requires booking in order to have front line sea views should improve the menu, introducing more elaborated dishes and in line of a 5 star boutique hotel. At present under our point of view to basic
Swimming pool area in peak days to overcrowded, lack of places to relax.
Correct number of service people although front office members with not enough involvement// lack of creativity for western objective // probably in line with whole Tanzanian mode (improve recruitment process)
The Hotel should provide wish list of possible Hotel recommendations for those travelers who want to continue exploring the island with same or similar standards of the z hotel (with out compromise)
Need to improve the welcome attitude in order to feel more special within the environment.
Nice library although it has quite room for improvement in order to be more charmy and maximize opportunities.
Wifi is a real problem many areas with lack of wifi and at least 4 wifi areas with 4 passwords need to homogenize ASAP.
SPA just focus on massage need to open the scope of services and introduce saunas// water massage // jacuzzi -- investment required
Hot water within peak season and peak time 19:00h aprox was scarce so we had cold shower.. Need to improve ASAP.
Going fishing with the the z hotel partner tour operator -- $600 half day (are we crazy -- need to check out prices or justify such prohibited amount for going out fishing)
The Z hotel should improve their brand awareness in the countries of origin in Spain not many people know about it.. To be included within Conde Nast Travellers magazine and also review comments regarding Lonely Planet as it doesn't match the reality.
Hope there are useful comments both for future guests and management team... Continue making things happen.
CHB

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank CarlosHBC
ZHotel, General Manager at The Z Hotel Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

May I first take this opportunity to extend my sincere gratitude to you for selecting The Z Hotel Zanzibar as your preferred hotel for your recent holiday in Zanzibar and I sincerely appreciate your honest and constructive feedback to our services during your stay with us.

At Z hotel , we take all comments and feedback, whether positive or negative, extremely seriously and consider them to be a vital source of information for us as such feedback enables us to get our valued guests’ perception of their experience with us. In the event that we receive negative comments, which I must mention is extremely rare, the management immediately prepares an action plan and takes remedial action to ensure that future guests do not experience the same problems again. Your comments below have been taken into consideration and may I assure you that we will endeavor to look into all your issues and make sure we rectify where required.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2013

One hour drive from Zanzibar airport, on the northern tip of the island.
I said "Perfect" because as a solo traveler, it is difficult to find hotels that combine privacy and livelihood in a gentle way. One can enjoy a book while tanning, the beach, the pool (a little small), the bar/ restaurant on site, or one of the few around.
I reserved a room with water view, but was upgraded to a beach cottage (2 levels, with a large terrace); considering that my flight was delayed for 12 hours, this upgrade was a lovely surprise.
Food at the restaurant (with reservation) was excellent.
Some posts here complain a bit about flies; I had no such problem.
The beach is public as most other beaches in Zanzibar, but safe.
Hotel management was lovely and very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ahmad_Kloub

Such kind words of admiration are greatly appreciated by my team and me. Our cumulative aim is to ensure we meet and exceed guest satisfaction and reading your review spurs us on to deliver more.

After such a hectic start to your vacation we are so glad you left feeling refreshed & relaxed. We have many solo travelers stay with us & are confident that they feel at ease & content in our tranquil environment, largely created by our fabulous staff.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here! Very attentive and friendly staff! Nicest spot of Nungwi beach and beautifull large rooms. 2 very small remarks: 1/ the music! Always the sames compilation CD of the worst of 80's and 90's music 2/ daily use of detergents in the room making it smell like hospital. But that's just to say something negative for the rest it's perfect!

• Stayed: August 2013
ZHotel, General Manager at The Z Hotel Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

It was really great to have very understanding guests as you - Thank you very much for such an amazing review, means a lot to everyone of us at The Z hotel.

We love to make sure all our guests are well taken care of and that they are enjoying their stay with us. In the event we feel otherwise we right away approach the guest and see what we can do to ensure their stay remains a memorable one and we take remedial actions promptly, if any required. Our guests remain the primary focus at all times of their stay.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 August 2013

The Z hotel has a mixture of both relaxation and livelihood. You'd find lots to be done around the day and you can also relax on the beach or the by the pool and get a swim every now and then. It has a couple of restaurants and dive center which serve a variety of food giving you different options. In the early morning and before noon the water usually has lots of seaweed yet it's still swimmable however in the afternoon the water becomes clear and warm for a perfect swim. The staff were helpful and there's lots of shops and restaurants nearby for whoever wants to have a walk or a snack or even go buy some souvenirs and antiques. It's a bit far away from Stone Town though, yet very near to Mnemba Island if you're up to some snorkeling or diving.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your amazing review here.

It is really nice to see that you had a great time during your recent stay with us and that you enjoyed the beautiful ambiance and setting of the hotel.. As you have kindly pointed out, there is as much or as little as you want to do on a daily basis & thank you also for pointing out that our guests are not restricted to the hotel, there are plenty of other establishments they can visit that are within a safe & easy walking distance from the hotel.

I do hope that you have fond memories of your stay at Z hotel and if there is anything we can do on your next stay with us, do not hesitate to contact my team or myself.

Warm regards

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My daughter & I stayed at the Z after our safari. What a beautiful place, so quiet & peaceful. We were welcomed on arrival with cool cloths & a cocktail. The rooms are gorgeous with lovely bathrooms, robes,toiletries etc. The beds were really comfortable ....my daughter said it was the best bed she ever slept in! The bed rooms don't have wifi but there were plenty of places to log on around the hotel, including the reading room which was a lovely place to relax & keep cool with paperbacks to borrow.The food was fab......the breakfast was exceptional with a huge array of things to choose from.It was so lovely being right on the beach and we loved the infinity pool. The veggie pizza was perfect between us for lunch by the pool......a really thin & crispy base.
The staff were really friendly & helpful, especially as we had to change flights which was proving difficult to do myself.
My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. Hopefully it won't be too long until we can return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank KEA16
ZHotel, General Manager at The Z Hotel Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

My team and myself are delighted to receive your feedback.

Thank you for these wonderful remarks! With gratitude I will pass them on to the team. It will make them feel as proud as I am!

We’re so glad you had a cool, relaxing time with us; we equally loved having you here. Thank you for making the most of the hotel facilities & you are both most welcome back at any time.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2013

It is a really great place! Lovely hotel, friendly staff. Meet cool cocktail :)
Room with a huge bed, all very stylish. Huge bathroom, excellent plumbing. Our room had a view of the ocean, great views. The hotel has its own beach where the rest just hotel guests. Entrance is closed to outsiders. Lovely breakfast, all fresh, great choice. Room does not have wi-fi. If necessary, wi-fi, you can use the library, which also has a desktop computer. Without a doubt we can recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Warm greetings from the Z hotel Zanzibar,

May I first take this opportunity to extend my sincere gratitude to you for selecting the Z hotel as your preferred hotel for your holiday in Zanzibar and I sincerely appreciate your honest and constructive feedback to our services during your stay with us.

Improving our Wi-Fi connection is a priority for us & there have been some vast improvements thus far but we continue to strive towards an excellent service.

Kind regards,

Mohammed Zaki

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 17 in Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!