“A great holiday at a great hotel”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
london
“A great holiday at a great hotel”
Reviewed 2 January 2010

My cousin and his fiance chose the Z-hotel as the venue for their wedding so me and a friend decided to go for an extended holiday 2 weeks prior to the big day. Although we traveled at a time when the whole island had no power we would have never noticed. The hotel is beautiful with amazing views of the beach from our room and the infinity pool. The food at the hotel restaurant is fantastic and the hotel often puts on beach bbqs with local cuisine which, coupled with the views, makes for a sumptuous night out.
The service is top notch with all the staff polite and attentive. The hotel general manager (Hafis) and operations manager (James) add a real personal and friendly touch which made my holiday a memorable one. As Arnie would say... "I'll be back".

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 14 December 2009

From the minute we arrived at reception (to a cool drink and warm welcome from the staff) to our departure (which was a complete wrench!) we had a lovely, relaxing and enjoyable time at the Z hotel.

The poolside area is gorgeous, perfect for cocktails and watching the beautiful sunsets, the rooms are tastefully decorated - I particularly liked the flatscreen tv! - and the staff are friendly and helpful, without being invasive.

I would also recommend sticking to the hotel restaurants - there are some ok places to eat in Nungwi but the hotel restaurants blow them all out of the water.

Talking of water, not only is there the pool, but the hotel is right on the beach, so you can swim in the crystal clear sea, and book trips on boats to go and see dolphins and for snorkelling. I went and it was AMAZING. (The hotel staff sorted all this out for us).

Thoroughly recommend it, trip of a lifetime, I'd go back in a flash.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2009

As soon as i entered my cottage at The Z Hotel in Zanzibar i knew i was in for some relaxation and peacful time. It was so beautifully done. The ocean on your door step. My partner and I went ona boat trip where the crew were more than happy to go slowly for for me as i have a slight fear of the ocean. Although I love to paddle.
The food was outstanding, concentrating on sea food. The African smile which i gre to love on my 2 month trip throughout africa was always there to great us in the morning.
The cocktail bar tender also did a great job of making my partner and i a different tipple each night. When in Rome!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dar es Salaam
Reviewed 11 December 2009

We stayed at the Z in the summer and had such a good time we came back for some winter sun. The staff were not only as helpful, and friendly as we remembered but they actually remembered our names! We were greeted by the General Manager like long lost family and all of the staff went out of their way to exceed our expectations.

The room, staff, service and food were just as good as we remembered and definitely worth coming back for. This trip we managed to tear ourselves away from the beautiful pool, something we totally failed to do last time, and the staff helped us arrange a day out on a dhow to go and swim with dolphins. We saw 3 pods of dolphins and had a great time with the boat crew who put together a great lunch for us on the boat and made sure the winds got us back in time to get to the airport in time for our flight.

I can't say enough good things about this place, they made us feel like family and we'll defintely be going back next year.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I have moved to Z hotel after spending few nights in Langi langi which is rated a bit lower then Z hotel but after my stay in Z hotel I can say that the difference is huge. The room standard, restaurant, location, garden swiming pool are on very high standard but what the most important is the service!!!!! People working there are so nice and helpful as well as management.

I got very bad sun burn, had to stay in the room and try various solutions for sunburn. The staff of Z hotel was so helpful in my condition, from the management, receptionist, chef and air condition maintanance guy.

Hotel is run by young international team of management and they have professional approuch, very friendly, quick and personal.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 7 December 2009

I don't know what more they could have done for us if we were sultans ourselves. Our vacation there could not have been more perfect. Let me begin by raving about the amazing attentative and friendly staff. They were so gracious and helpful that we could have stayed in a mud hut - which this place is not - and been almost as happy. The hotel design itself is gorgeous combining all the advantages of Europe and the States with the exotic, adventure and charm of Africa. I never sat to think of what it must take to pull together a concept for a hotel, but the attention to every detail had me actually contemplating whose grand ideas it all was while I sipped away at one of the delicious mixed drinks from my beachfront lounge chair. Ok so flat screen TV's, mosquito nets, air conditioning, beach, sun, friendly, helpful folks and all of it so white and clean. There were even flower petals on the bed every night. I won't even begin to try to describe the food and suffice it to say that despite the heat and subsequent supposed lack of appetite - my pants fit a bit snugger on the plane ride home - who thought one could gain weight on fruit and seafood - which the menu is by no means limited to. Also important to mention that despite having all the conveniences of a large resort including a spa and inhouse diving school and tour guides and someone always ready to tend to your every need - we felt as if we were the only two people in the entire hotel - never overcrowded. The sun seemed to rise and set just for us and the world around douted on us. Lastly I can not conclude this review without mentioning the inhouse tour company - Mambo Tours. They come with our highest recommendation as they worked tirelessly to think of everything from having an early breakfast prepared for us before the kitchens even opened to arranging private tours that exceeded all our expectations. We swam with dolphins, visited endangered monkeys and tortoises, learned about spices for cooking and medicinal purposes, about the people of Zanzibar and the economy, shopped in the exotic markets, bought squid from fisherman on the sea and had it cooked by a private chef over a fire on a sandbar. Our experience in Zanzibar was priceless partially due to the hotel and staff and partially due to our excellent tour guides and individually designed tours. This was the grand daddy of all vacations and the one we will compare all future ones to. Many thanks to The Z Hotel and Mambo Tours!! Asanti!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessy1228
NY, NY
Reviewed 1 December 2009

Unbelievable combination of first class service, food and cleanliness in the most beautiful spot along the African coast. Plenty to do if you fancy activities or plenty to enjoy if you fancy R&R by the pool or on the fine white sand.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank tnflynn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 17 in Nungwi
Hideaway of Nungwi Resort & Spa

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!