“Excellent vacation at the Z Hotel”

The Z Hotel Zanzibar
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 4 January 2011

We traveled to the Z Hotel with our two teenage daughters after a few days in Selous Game Reserve. I loved the web site photos but I was reserved about what to expect - we were not disappointed! We arrived on Dec 24th and had a magical Christmas eve meal sitting over the ocean in the lovely restaurant. The view from the hotel is exceptional (and we have direct sea views from our home!) , the pool just the right size, and the amenities are taken care of. The staff were so kind, friendly and effecient. We lvoed everything about the Z Hotel and wiwhed we could have stayed an extra couple of days. Do not hesitate to book this hotel, just the right combination of chic design, relaxed atmosphere, good food and authenticity. The mini spa massage was also excellent & we loved our waitress in the restaruant:

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank miamarseille
Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 30 December 2010

Three words. Just-Stay-Here!! It was by far the best Honeymoon experience we had in terms of hotels! We were made warmly welcome by Sophie and made to feel like the most important guests they had. Our friends stayed there not long after us and said they had the same experience so I guess everyone is treated like they are the only ones there! No mean feat! All the staff are warm and great at what they do. The view is just like the postcards and the water is perfectly warm and fabulous to watch the sunset from! We were fortunate enough to experience 2 of the room types. The first was their standard ocean view room which was gorgeous and very tastefully decorated. Bathroom was huge with a rain-shower head. The second room was the honeymoon suite on the top floor of the hotel. It took one half of the entire space and was furnished with a king bed, leather couch, flat screen tv, ipod dock private patio with beautiful wood carved lounges and your own sun beds. Out of this world!!
The food was good, breakfast not amazing but all you need to kick start the day, but the restaurant on stilts over the water made everything taste amazing anyway because of the view! Stunning!!! I could go on for hours but I think it's best to be experienced yourself! Can't recommend it highly enough!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I arrived at Zanzibar as I was meeting some friend over there with whom I planned a sailing trip on a catamaran from Zanzibar to several nearby Islands.
After the boat-trip, my friends left and I had a few days on my own to spend at Nungwi Beach. And as I had had the chance to see the hotel before going sailing, I had already a pretty clear idea of the best choice to make as far as choosing a hotel at Nungwi is concerned.
I took a garden view room (the sea view ones are amazing and needless to say what the suites look like.... Below there is a link to The Z Hotels website.
I had a relaxing and wonderful time during my stay at The Z Boutique Hotel and the way the staff treats all guests is just magnificent.
I personally would like to thank myself Mr. Julian O'Leary for his courtesy, kindness, friendly way of treating the customers and so many other complements which I cannot mention one by one or I would write a novel instead of a review.
To finish off, all I need to say is thatI I want to thank Mr Julian and all the staff who attended me during my stay for their way of understanding the needs of us, guests, making our stay and therefore, our holidays the best holidays everybody wishes to have.
I truly recommend this hotel to everybody and I do plan going back to Zanzibar and, consequently, staying at The Z Hotel sometime in a near future.
Thanks a lot for everything.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Aitzironda
Reviewed 25 December 2010

We had four wonderful days at this charming hotel. Quiet and comfortable with outstanding sea food and friendly staff. A beutiful white beach with lots of space. Don't miss the excursion to Mnemba Island for snorkling. Beutiful corals and fishes in all different colours. We were lucky to see some dolphins just beside the boat. A memorable vacation.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I am living in Dar es Salaam and have been a few times in Zanzibar in different hotels/resorts. The island is full of resorts of great quality and the ZHotel is the worst I ever did. Yes, the rooms are clean, but basic and certainly not worth the price. When you pay 200/240$ a room, you expect high quality standard but...
I chose this hotel based on the reviews stated in Trip Advisor , but my few days in Zanzibar have been totally wasted due to this bad choice. I guess that those who wrote reviews stating "best hotel in Z" have visited only this one and did not have criteria of comparison. I have, and I would NOT recommend this hotel at all.
The only good thing: The food. They have great food at reasonable price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
8  Thank why33
Reviewed 9 December 2010

We stayed at the Z Hotel for 4 nights in October after a 2 week safari. We stayed in one of the seafront villas and It was truelly lovely. Our Villa had gorgeous views out to sea and was roomy, very clean and there was a turn down service every evening whilst we were out at dinner.
The staff were really attentive, we didn't have any problems with the service and we were always served in a timely manner. We had the half board option and found the food to be of a great quality, with the different buffet options each evening being really nice but you had the option of eating in the cocktail bar if you didn't fancy the other menu so that option was brilliant. Really had no complaints on that front.
Our only gripe at all was that when you had your breakfast each morning in the restaurant you were swarmed with wasps and flies which was uncomfortable. Honey was a definite No No. One morning we just asked to take our food to our villa to eat there and one of the waiters brought it over to us at no extra charge which was great.
All in all we had a lovely relaxing stay there, were looked after well and enjoyed the cocktails immensely, the Infinity pool is lovely and the free wifi was great to catch up with everyone after 2 weeks in the wild.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2010

This hotel is amazing and I highly recommend it! It's located in the Northern Beaches of Zanzibar where a lot of the beach resorts are located. The area is picturesque with beautiful white sand and aqua coloured water. And if you don't like swimming in the sea there's an amazing infinity pool at the hotel which has sun loungers and a bar right there. The hotel is also located right next to a whole of restaurants too.

The whole area is really cheap. Meals cost about US$10-15 and cocktails are about US$5-7 (US$3 during happy hour). Hotel rates started at US$200 which we thought was pretty reasonable considering the high standard of the hotel. Our room was immaculate, modern and had air conditioning.

The only minor complaint I had was because of the frequent power cuts across the island, which only last 30-60 secs as the hotel had a generator, the air conditioning unit in our room would be turned off in the middle of the night and would then continue to beep intermittently once the power came back on keeping us awake until we turned it back on. I'm sure this could have been easily fixed by changing the settings but we were only there a couple of nights so didn't bother asking.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#4 of 172 in Zanzibar Island
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est

Been to The Z Hotel Zanzibar? Share your experiences!