“The pools make the resort!”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“The pools make the resort!”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I searched extensively before choosing this resort- for what it's worth here are my positives and negatives.
Positive- the pools....WOW amazing!! Incredible sunsets, lovely beach! The staff couldn't be more friendly and will always try to assist you. Bernard at the pool was extra awesome.
Negative- expect 3-4* and you won't be disappointed. Housekeeping isn't up to scratch, had to constantly request supplies. Our shower NEVER worked properly.... Either freezing cold or we got burnt, nothing In between, reported it 3 times including to management and then gave up. Food isn't bad but certainly not anything spectacular.
Be warned, any trip you want to do is quite a trip/drive.... Either by boat or car.... Nothing is close. This isn't a major issue and certainly isn't resort specific but be aware that excursions are a long day.
We travelled with kids aged 11 & 8.... Yes they enjoyed the holiday but honestly I wouldn't recommend traveling to zanzibar with kids younger than that. Once you leave the resort area this is real Africa.... About 90% of travelers we spoke to had diahorrea and/or vomiting at some point during their holiday.... I must emphasize this was across ALL resorts. All 4 members of our family were ill at some point. And yes we only drank bottled water..... Take an extensive first aid kit.... The resort couldn't supply headache tablets when we asked if they had some.

Would I stay here again...? YES the pools alone would bring me back! Is zanzibar a good holiday? YES but go prepared.... It's Africa.... :-)))

Room Tip: Standard rooms don't have a sea view but I didn't go there to be in my room so this wasn'...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SGJHB
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, along with your very kind recommendation. Considering the problems you encountered, we appreciate your generosity and fairness in being excited about returning more than we can say.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our pools so much and we agree, they really are beautiful! We will also be thrilled to share your kind comments regarding our staff with them. They're a lovely group of people and we're extremely proud of their genuine friendliness and concern for our guests.

On the other hand, I hope that you will accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered. We have revamped some of our processes with Housekeeping to ensure that our guests have the necessary amenities at all times, this simply shouldn't be an issue and we will try to ensure that it isn't in the future. Maintenance continues to work on ensuring the water temperature remains constant. I must also apologize that you were not provided with aspirin when requested. We do have first aid kits with every Department Head and with Reception and the Beach Bar and happily hand over aspirins, bandaids and any other items we have when required. I don't know who you asked, but we will try to ensure that all of our staff knows that they are available in the future.

I do have to disagree with you on one point. I appreciate that you weren't pointing only at our resort when you commented on the problems with diarrhea and vomiting, however it simply isn't the case that 90% of visitors to Zanzibar are sick during their stay. Being a small operation, we usually know when we have guests that are unwell and these cases are rare. The majority of our guests and the majority of visitors to Zanzibar remain in good health throughout their stay.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. Please do contact me directly when you're coming back as we would very much appreciate the opportunity to ensure that every part of your stay is a success on your next visit.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for our honeymoon and had a fantastic time! The service was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. All staff were helpful and Bernard who is the barman at the pool bar kept us happy each day! The food was phenomenal. There was lots to chose from and each item was cooked to perfection. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but I'd go for a sea facing room as the view and the sunsets are amazing...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your terrific review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

I know that I've said it before, but there is really no bigger compliment for us than guests telling us that they would like to come back! We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and it's always a pleasure to share kind remarks about our staff with them... I know that Bernard in particular will be thrilled to hear that he made such an impact on your stay.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Jambo !!
I spent one week at the Royal Zanzibar , I had no expectations and told myself I am going to Africa with an open mind. The road was long ,hot and dusty from the airport to the hotel upon arrival we were met by friendly staff and refreshing coconut water and face towels,
The room was garden facing and very spacious and a bath tub to accommodate two !!
The Staff definitely blew me away with their genuine friendliness and concern nothing was ever a problem .I had a problem with the shower tap it was sorted within 15 Minutes .
The swimming pools and bar areas were always clean , needless to say the choice of mocktails was really good.
The variety of food everyday - normally when you at a hotel for 7 days it can get a bit boring with the meal selection - lets say the Royal Zanzibar makes every dinner experience a memorable occasion from dinner on the beach , along side the pool in the garden etc.
The hotel is on the beach - powder soft sand , shades of blue water and the warm .
The resort exceeded our expectations for sure.
Besides the resort the actual staff's hospitality warmth no words can explain. Well done to manager , Kim when you have such happy staff then you know you doing a great job.

Upon arrival at home I was still in the habit of wanting to say Jambo to everyone and ending each sentence with Hakuna Matata .

The Royal Zanzibar is highly recommended and will definitely return soon

Asante Sana
R Hassen

Room Tip: We had a garden room c23
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shaan0710
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Jambo! and a heartfelt asante sana for your generous and wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort and for your kind recommendation!

With so many wonderful places to see around the world and an admittedly difficult to reach destination, we consider it a compliment of the highest order when guests are eager to return. It was a pleasure to read your entire review, but my favourite point was the "genuine" friendliness of our staff. I'm proud of each and every one of them and I love being able to share reviews like this with them. I generally leave out bits about me when I'm reading them out loud... but I'm very touched to be mentioned and thank you very much for your kindness! Of course, we also love knowing that you took some hakuna matata home with you and hope that that and your memories of your stay will keep you relaxed and happy until you return.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, do let us know when you're coming back!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 25 March 2014

My wife and I spent a week at the. The staff are just wonderful. Totally obliging and this is obviously a reflection on Senior Management. The hotel is clean and the facilities is ideal. Cannot stop raving to whoever I meet. Only thing i can fault is the 2.5 kg that I have put on due to the variety of tasty food as well as the deserts. Could not resist to over indulge.
Hoosein Rajah

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bhai2014
Thank you so much for your heartwarming and wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It was delightful to speak with you during your stay and we appreciate your positive comments both then and now. We're very proud of our staff and it's a pleasure to be able to share such kind words with them when we receive reviews like this.

We were sorry however, to hear about the 2.5kgs... we will be sure to set you up for daily gym times with Salim on your return, in order to ensure that we return you home in the same state that you arrived!

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We sincerely hope that we will be welcoming you both back... maybe with your children? in the very near future.

Warmest regards,

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and daughter and Myself had the Best Beach Holiday in our Lives.
The Managers,Chefs, Waiters etc were at hand all the time. Food was Excellent, with a lot of Varities to choose from.
Royal Zanzibar is a place where you throw your watch away and let Time pass by.
I have never felt so peaceful in my life.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank ShirazNanji
RZBRmanager, Manager - Social Media & Communications at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Shiraz Nanji,

Thank you for your terrific review on The Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort. We always strive to achieve goals and targets for guest satisfaction.

Your comments have been distributed to the concerned departments.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Asante Sana.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

A friendly welcome on arrival with a refreshing drink of fresh coconut after a long hot and dusty trip from our safari in Tanzania. the room was spacious and comfortable but could have done with a few more coat hangers.
My wife has walking difficulties, and we were immediately given the use of a wheelchair for our weeks stay, which with ought we would have never managed as the resort is spacious and on an incline.. thank you!
unfortunately we were woken on our first night by a horrendous thunder storm. that wreaked havoc on several of the hotel buildings, leaving the only option of dining in the main restaurant, although the staff put on a beach BBQ daily which was fun. Sadly the food in general we found to be disappointing. unless you like pasta.
The rain continued on and off the rest of our stay and coupled with a stomach upset, spoiled our chance of visiting more of the island and what was hoped to be a relaxing week. We realise this was not the fault of the hotel, as it appeared the rainy season had arrived early, as for the dickey tummy, I can't say?
All the staff were extremely friendly and always very helpful, especially relieving me at times the struggle of pushing the wheelchair up hill, thank you boys!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
RZBRmanager, Manager - Social Media & Communications at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Dear keith_bidwell,

Thank you for your wonderful review. Your comment will be passed on to the boys who helped you out and to the Management.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Holon, Israel
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had an amazing stay at the Royal Zanzibar B.R, we cant think of something wrong we experienced there! Beautiful big rooms - see pictures - what you see is what you get! Very clean! Newly internet in the room which was perfect for us. Very friendly stuff - all the stuff! My husband is very difficult with his meals and there was always at least 1 solution for him in one of the restaurants, because the people warking there wanted him to be happy and always surprise him with their attention and remeber what he needs! I would like to thank Claudy from the Spacies restaurant for welcoming us for breakfast every single morning with his big smile, Rajab and his friends for making my husbands special mornings shakes!!!! Kheri, Siwema, Theresa, Mikembo, Margaret, Zainab, Ali and also the survisors Robert and Kapigawasi for their grate job at ther restaurants!! Im sorry if I forgot someone, everybody are just stunnig there! I would like to highlight Salim, he was always there for us, ready lo listen to us and to other guest and he was a grate source of infromations for us!! Thank you for making our holidays the best on ever and hope to see you all when we return also with our children!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
RZBRmanager, Manager - Social Media & Communications at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Martina,

It was a pleasure meeting you during your check-out.

Thank you for your stunning review for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort. Reviews like these is what makes our team more happy and be more helpful to our guests.

We will pass on your positive comments to the teams you have mentioned.

We look forward to your next arrival with your children.

Team RZBR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
The Z Hotel Zanzibar
#2 of 17 in Nungwi

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!