“Almost perfect”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 29 May 2014

A little paradise, very tranquile and nice resort. Staff extremly friendly. Food was lovely. Beach is wonderful but we could not use itt due to the attacking beach boys wanting to sell you everything and not accepting no for an answer. Distance to the airport is huge, more than 60 minutes drive. Had some issues with the hotel provided taxi, complained to the hotel management via email but never got the answer. Also, you need to pay entry visa for Zanzibar but also the exit visa - 50 bucks each way. Just to keep in mind.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank basel260
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your very kind review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and will very happily share your kind remarks with our staff. We're very proud of them all and it's a pleasure to be able to tell them what an impact they have had on a guest's stay.

I am sorry that the beach boys are such a nuisance. We continue searching for ways to make the situation better but as they are protected by Zanzibar laws that make all beaches public, there are limits to what we can do.

I was also sorry to hear that you asked a question regarding a problem with the taxi and did not receive a response. Please do email the hotel and ask them to send the email to me and I will personally look into it and respond to you.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,512)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The best holiday of my life!! Thank you to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort; your staff were awesome, friendly and very helpful!! Christo Wessels and I will definitely visit again in the near future! You can't go wrong choosing the Royal Zanzibar Resort! We've met amazing people, seen gorgeous places and had a absolute fantastic time! Now it is back to work, after an amazing time; but it is worth it... By Carike Moggee

I must agree with my partner(Carike Moggee) about Royal Zanzibar Resort. All the promises Kim made was done to perfection. Rooms, staff and everything was just 100%. Thanks to Juma, John and the guys at Mapensi bar you were great. Forget about any negative comments about the resort. This is african 5 star at it's best. If you are looking for 5star Las Vegas style please go and visit there.

If you are going use the following term "Lekker man Lekker" and you will get the best service.

Lekker man Lekker Nou gaan ons braai

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room. Best view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jcw12000

Jambo Carike and Christo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your exceptional review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It was such a pleasure to meet you both and we were delighted to hear that you had such a great time with us! I appreciated you taking the time to ask some questions before you came and very pleased that we lived up to our promises. I'll be happy to pass on your kind remarks to John, Juma and the team at the Mapenzi Bar, I know they'll be happy to hear that they helped make your vacation special.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future... so that our staff can use "Lekker man Lekker" again!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Resort is very nice. The balcony allows you to enjoy your surroundings from the comfort of your room (if you want to). One thing that put a damper on our bliss for the 1st night was that we left the door leading to the balcony open; though we did shut the screen door before we left to dinner, we came back in the room to find zillions little flying insects that littered the desk, the floor and were on the ceiling (around the bulb). I think we may have also left the lights on. Although the screen door will keep most insects (including mosquitoes out), some small insects will get through the screen (the holes are, in my view, not tight enough or small enough). Luckily, turn-down service had pulled down the mosquito net above the bed; so the insects were not able to get in our bed. But we learned our lesson, and for the rest of our stay, we made sure to shut both the glass door and the screen door before leaving the room.

The rooms are clustered in small 2-story buildings, labeled alphabetically. Some buildings are closer to the food, and some are closer to the beach, while some are closer to the pool. Whichever building you are (A, B, or J,I, or K), you’ll end up doing some walking for one of the spots (if not the pool, then to go eat, if not the restaurant, then to get to the beach). Anyway, the grounds are so beautiful that you’ll find like you’re walking in paradise or earth on the first days of creation. The rooms are spacious, and the bathroom comes with a huge tub (that can fit 2 people easily) and a shower. It also has a "bidet", which I only see in really luxury hotels (and not in US hotels at any rate). Bidets seem to be extinct, but I was happy to have one in my bathroom. The towels in the bathroom look like they've lost the initial white, but they are otherwise OK. One thing to know: they write down your name at the beach when they hand you beach towels. If you don't return them, you might be charged (I've seen people leaving the towels on the lounge chairs). Remember there are hawkers/vagrants who have access to the beach, and I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes they snatch a few things, when these are left unattended.
The guys in the Spices restaurant are fantastic: Emmanuel, Pietro, Magdalena and Margaret. They'll do everything to keep you happy.
There isn't much to do outside of the resort, but one can go to Stone Town, about 1 -1.55 hour away, or the Spice Farm, about 40 minutes from the resort.
The all-inclusive allows you all food and drinks, but they don’t seem to do piña coladas the way it’s done in the US: theirs is pretty watery; and the wines quality leaves a lot to be desired (they must buy the big cartons that are sold in bulk). But luckily, my friend and I had brought 2 bottles of champagne and 2 of wine, that we had bought at the Nairobi airport (someone had told us that there’d be no booze in muslim-dominated Zanzibar, which is untrue). But at least, that had prompted us to bring our own liquor.
Because we were there in late April/early May (i.e. the low season), we could have used the other restaurant (which was Japanese). But we always forgot to make reservations.
The only negative was the flies. I had to cover my forks, glass and everything, every time I was going back to the buffet. I hate flies. But most people seem not to be bothered by them, and at least, they were not all over the food as someone mentioned, though they were still able to sneak and get into some of the (non-hot) food. So, I basically stuck with cooked and hot food the whole time. At nights, they had activities: shows, dances, and though they were never too long, they were entertaining.
The hawkers on the beach are a pest. But I never gave them one 2nd look, even though they tried talking to me. So, by the 2nd day, they knew not to waste their time with me. I saw people engaging in saying hello back, and were complaining afterwards that they regretted it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank DustyFeet-MacheAnpil

Thank you so much for your kind and very detailed review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort! We also appreciate you taking the time to include some photos, the one you took of the pools is a different angle than we've had before, very nice!

We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and will be pleased to pass your compliments to Emmanuel, Pietro, Magdalena and Margaret.

I was sorry to hear about the tiny flies in your room, that must have been most unpleasant. When we discussed it, we wondered if the screen door was actually open a little as we haven't had this problem before. The restaurant flies are an unfortunate product of the rainy season and as the rains are slowing down now, they are becoming fewer and fewer. We're fortunate to have the enclosed buffet to ensure that they aren't in the food when you're picking up your meal.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed 2 nights in this Royal Zanzibar beach resort with my mom 2 weeks ago.
We frankly booked for standard double room.
But when we arrived, air-conditioned was not working and also hot water for shower.
We complained about it, then they changed very nice room!!
Staffs were so kind, and all the garden was so beautiful
Food was also okay :)
If I go back to Zanzibar, I definitely go to the Royal Zanzibar beach resort :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank oopsmw123
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you so much for your very kind review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're so pleased to hear that you and your mother enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that you had problems with the a/c and hot water, but glad that you were happy with the new room. We love hearing that you enjoyed our staff, we're proud of them and it's wonderful to be able to share reviews like this with them.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Zanzibar!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Well...We just came back from a relaxing holiday in Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.
I must say that we had very pleasant and relaxing holiday. There was definitely some hiccups..but in general we had a really nice and enjoyable vacation.
ROOMS: First we were located room E15 which was good in size but lack any view. After a call to the reception 15 minutes later we were moved to block L and our room(L21) was fantastic on the second floor with breathtaking view of the ocean.
The cleaning I dont know about other reviews but we were very surprised of the high level of cleaning...everyday was super clean and we had some animals on the bed made out of towels.
FOOD: Reading other reviews about the food I was little scared because we were with our 9 year old daughter, but we found everyday what to eat and we were not sick for the duration of the vacation. On lunch there is a pasta station and its really good,nothing special but very well prepared and on dinner is always pizza's plus fish,meats,etc. Overall even through the food is repetitive its always something to choose from. So I guess if you are not a very,very picky eater you will find what to eat :).
GROUNDS: Well almost everybody explained how beautiful the resort is..with the pools, beach, etc so I can only say..its true...the beach,the pools everything is perfect and there is a very little difference between low tide and high tide, so you actually swim anytime you want.
What I really liked is the isolation from everything...your phone is switch off..no internet..just very relaxing place...
I would like to mention some people of the staff who were really nice: Margareth( she was very welcoming every day before we went for breakfast and dinner, Petro was almost our private waiter and Rajab the cook who made the best omelette ever..Thank you, guys!!
Overall if you looking for great vacation with fine food and very nice people consider Royal Beach.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Barabbas_10
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and kind recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we'll be sure to share your remarks with our staff, particularly Margareth, Petro and Rajab, I know they'll be delighted to hear that they had such a positive impact on your vacation.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I went to Zanzibar in April 2014 for a week with 20 friends and family to celebrate my 40th birthday. What an awesome time we had! The resort is amazing and allows for lots of fun and rest, whichever you prefer. The Management catered for everything from my elderly father, to every detail of my birthday celebrations that went on for 2 days. Everyone who works at the resort was very flexible, and wanted to ensure that they did everything they could to make my birthday memorable. They far exceeded my expectations! We had cocktails at one location, dinner at another location and dancing at a third location. The next day, the hotel organised a private sunset cruise on a dhow which was the biggest hit amongst my guests. Dinner was served at the beach the same night and the staff and local masais put on a big show to wish me a happy birthday. I will certainly not forgot this celebration.

A big thank you to all the staff at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, your big smiles and eagerness to please, surely sets you apart. All my guests and myself are looking forward to our return to your beautiful resort.

Asanteni sana!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

It's hard to know if we should be thanking you for such a wonderful review or if we should be thanking you for being so much fun to work with! Perhaps we just thank you for both...

It was an absolute pleasure to ensure that your birthday celebrations were special and we were quite overwhelmed by the kind remarks from you, your guests and your lovely father! We take a great deal of pride in our willingness to "think outside the box" when planning special events and enjoy not only the resulting happiness of our guests, but also the opportunity to get the creative juices flowing!

Thank you so much for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming all of you back soon... for a peaceful and relaxing vacation or for another whirlwind series of events!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hats off to the staff at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort! It would be unfair to name any of the staff, but I have to mention Robert,John and Salim. We experienced the most friendly and caring staff wherever we went with the sounds of jumbo-jumbo echoing through the resort.
The scenery is breathtakingly beautiful. The pools are meticulously maintained and the beach area is a pleasant retreat.Refreshments from the pool bar were available in excess.
We experienced the most enjoyable and entertaining evenings and the two evenings where dinner was served on the beach were very special. The special effort to make our 24th wedding anniversary memorable was the highlight - thanks Robert and the team.
We will be back soon!

Room Tip: Top floor with pool/sea view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your delightful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We appreciate your kind remarks, but even more, your enthusiasm for a return visit! We will happily share your comments with Robert, John, Salim and the rest of the team, we're proud of them all and love being able to tell them that their efforts were appreciated.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we are looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Melia Zanzibar
#5 of 19 in Nungwi
ZanziResort
ZanziResort
#4 of 174 in Zanzibar Island

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!