“Definately going back!!!:)”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Nungwi
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Definately going back!!!:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I loved the Royal Zanzibar. It is really great and the staff and security is great. You really feel like you are treated like royalty. I felt like family and really felt the warm heart of Africa in the Royal. I would really like to thank all the staff of the Royal for their excellent service and for making my trip very special indeed. I felt very welcome indeed.

Asante Sana Sana.

Take care and I will return soon :)

Room Tip: I had a upstairs room and it was secluded and quite. I enjoyed it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Charmaine P
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Charmaine,

Asante sana sana for your terrific review and recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and I will most certainly share your generous praise with our staff and our Security Team. I know that they will all be delighted to hear that you felt so welcome.

It is always an honour for us to hear that guests would choose to come back. We know that Zanzibar is a little off the beaten track and we also know that there are many other choices out there, those things make your eagerness to return even more special.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cape Town, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dear Kim and her beautiful Staff

Just a very quick note to say I had the best time ever at your hotel: As I promised I would stay out and about.. Had four treatments at your most amazing spa, loved the beach braai’s and in fact every meal time was delicious..

Being a mermaid, your pools were my first ports of call with a few cocktails at the pool bar… I was off site a lot, what with my diving course, but the huge bath in my room was a perfect gift every afternoon on my return.. I must thank you for joining me at dinner on my first night and please extend a big big big Asante Sana to all your wonderful staff.. I wish you many more happy years there and promise to visit again soon..

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Ms Mermaid,

Thank you so much, you've made me blush! The whole team appreciates your wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

It was such a pleasure to meet you and I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your time here so much. I will be sure to share your kind remarks with the team, particularly with the ladies in the Spa and our team in the Kitchen.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your vacation in Nungwi, we are truly honoured that you will include a return trip in your future plans and look forward to welcoming you back.

Boksburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were met with many friendly 'Jambo's', smiles and happy greetings. The staff was efficient and helpful even when the language sometimes was a problem. The food was fantastic especially the fish. Executive chef Alex made sure everything in the food department was top class! The swimming pools and the entertainment area was spectacular and well maintained! We had a lovely holiday however we would have loved to be able to access The rest of Zanzibar more easily.

Room Tip: A12 was the best beach front room! Awesome view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Suzanne,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We were delighted to hear that you had enjoyed your stay so much and Chef will be thrilled with your very kind remarks about the food! He and his team work hard to ensure a wide variety of good food, we're glad you enjoyed it!

The unfortunate offshoot of being situated on the most beautiful beach on the island is the hour long drive to Stone Town. Many of our guests enjoy being so removed from the noise and bustle of the city, but I'm sorry that the location hampered your efforts to see more of the island.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Germiston, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Our son and daughter-in-law invited us recently to join them for their wedding at this wonderful resort. We spent an unforgettable week with family and friends, the staff was one of the friendliest we have ever experienced on our travels. The rooms are spacious and elegantly decorated and spotlessly clean.
Entertainment was provided every night and the restaurant served good quality food. The staff are highly motivated under the leadership of excellent management. Activities available to guests are snorkelling, deep sea fishing and diving, kite surfing, parasailing and sunset cruises. The setting is stunning, white beaches and turquois sea ...... if you are looking for a little piece of paradise this is where you will find it ! We will certainly consider spending another relaxing and carefree holiday at the Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Bruno,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It was such a pleasure to host the entire wedding event and we were delighted that everyone had such a good time. We always love sharing positive comments about our staff with our hardworking juniors, but what a thrill to be able to tell my management team that their efforts had also been so kindly noted. Thank you very much for that.

Thank you once again for joining your son and brand new daughter-in-law for their stay in Nungwi. We look forward to welcoming you back to our "little piece of paradise" in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Zanzibar for seven nights and had a pretty good time but also did have mixed feelings about it.

Pros
The hotel is about an 80 minute drive from the airport/stone town. The drive there appears rural but the hotel is located by possibly the best beach in Zanzibar. Nungwi beach is magnificent. It has soft white sand and crystal clear water made up of several different shades of turquoise and blue. It was truly stunning. My wife and I have traveled to many of the worlds most amazing islands and Nungwi beach is up there with the best. The hotel grounds are beautiful with palm trees, lawns and lush vegetation. The buildings are all white and have an Arab touch. The staff were by far the best part of the hotel, right from check in which is really efficient, to the waiters, cleaners, bar staff, porters etc. It's unbelievable how truly lovely they were. The dinner and lunch at Spices restaurant had flavours of India, Arabia, Africa and of course Zanzibar and the meals on the whole was very tasty. We loved the pizza station as well (tip - the pizza at night is way better than the day because of the evening pizza cook being fantastic). Another thing we loved about this hotels were the pools and swim up bar - fantastic..

Cons
The rooms were nice with an Arabic touch, be it rather bare and dated with a TV from 1985 (or there about) but the bathrooms were bad. They looked really tired and are in desperate need of a refurbishment. There were cracked walls, the paint was peeling, the window frames had rusty edges. The tub was ok though. The balcony was nice with great views. The worst part of the experience though was the choice of alcohol provided as part of the all inclusive package - the King Robert II range I.e. Vodka, gin, rum etc. This was vile. I have never tasted anything worse in my life. We actually googled this range at its bulk price was US$4 per bottle. We felt cheated and stuck to beer. The wine was equally bad as they use cheap South African box wine (coral reef and Namaqua) that we wouldn't touch routinely. This was a major let down and we felt cheated. Another major con was that the breakfast at Spices was mundane. There seemed to be almost 100% daily repetition. It was disappointing that the Samaki restaurant was closed - we heard 5-6 different reasons for it not being open so I'm not sure what the truth is. They had the beach bar serving food but I'd stay away as the food here is really bad. The burgers and hot dogs are burned into submission, the fish sandwich contains macerated fish soaked in Mayo and the French fries were drenched in oil. The staff were very friendly though.

On the whole, this hotel is OK. We're certainly used to better but we did have a nice time. While this hotel is fine for a general vacation I'd recommend staying elsewhere if you are going to Zanzibar for a special occasion such as a honeymoon etc.

Another tip - if you're going for seven nights, try and stay in stone town for at least one of them as traveling to stone town (or prison island) from nungwi costs more than the tour itself.

I would however like to spend a special shout out to some members of staff who were truly awesome - Tanda the shisha man, James the barman and Juma the porter thanks so much for everything.

Room Tip: Get a room higher up with ocean views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SweetAzNZ
Thank you for taking the time to post your kind review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're delighted to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful beach, pools and staff. We're most fortunate to have all three!

I am sorry that you found the rooms and bathrooms in poor shape. Unfortunately this rainy season has been particularly rough with incredibly heavy rains causing a lot of leaks, resulting in paint and wall problems in some of our rooms. I know that there isn't an acceptable excuse for these problems, but unfortunately we have had a challenging time staying ahead of them.

I was also sorry to hear that you had a number of different stories regarding the Samaki Restaurant as I'm really not sure where the confusion lies. The entire roof structure was destroyed in what many locals tell me was the worst storm they've ever experienced. We were able to continue running the restaurant for a while with umbrellas shielding the tables on the open deck, however when the heavy rains kicked in, the kitchen that had been protected by the makuti roof over the concrete roof leaked very badly once the makuti was gone, rendering the kitchen unusable. We have a contractor working on it now, but I'm very sorry that it wasn't available while you were here.

We're glad that you had a nice time and will be sure to share your shout out with Tanda, James and Juma, I know they'll be thrilled to have been mentioned individually.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. Should you be returning to Zanzibar, please do contact me directly. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to ensure a better experience if you were to trust us with your next stay.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Wow what a wonderful experience!, my family and I had a most amazing time at the Royal Zanzibar Beach Hotel. The staff we some of the friendliest and helpful I've come across. Entertainment was 5 star! The beach party was my fav evening, band vib and food was out of this world. Beaches were so clean and clear, snorkelled every day for Shells and saw some beautiful fish and sea urchins. Cocktails were very tasty and they didn't hold back on the hard stuff!. Beach boys were a bit of a pain but after a few days you get used to them and just ignore them, they get the picture in the end. Pools were so clear, clean and refreshing. We went for the all inclusive package and was DIFFINATLY worth while. I must do for anyone who loves sea, sun and the beach :)

Room Tip: Choose a room not to close to the bar, if you want some quiet time
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Candice,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort and for your kind recommendation!

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and even happier that you enjoyed the beach party! It's one of our favourite events too and so nice when the guests join in the fun. I never cease to be proud of our staff, their warm friendliness is such an asset for us, we'll be sure to thank them for delivering another successful guest stay!

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Bedfordview, Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Our entire family and a few close friends spent a week at this resort. It was one of the highlights of our holidays over recent years. So we flew into Zanzibar International airport, transferred by bus to the hotel, about 1,5 hours journey towards the North West of the island.

On arrival we were allocated rooms and assisted in getting the luggage into the rooms. Off for our first luncheon in the main restaurant. A buffet with a range of options to satisfy most any taste sensation, curries, cold meats, pizza, pasta, grilled fish and meat. Fresh fruit, juice, coffee tea, a range and spread of deserts and the list goes on. As we were on the all inclusive package, all drinks (soft and selected hard) are included. The range was sufficient for all preferences.

Shortly after you arrive you start noticing the endless greetings form all staff "Jumbo" and it is said in such a joyous way and with gusto. It makes you happy and soon you are part of the endless chorus of greetings.

If you are looking to maintain your weight, best you have serious discipline and avoid all the tempting tasty treats available. The rooms are huge and well decorated, we had a king size bed in ours with a day bed for our little son, the boys had 2 queen beds in theirs and a day bed for the cousin. The room was spotlessly clean and the attention to detail was amazing. Our room keeper made a special layout on each bed every day, swans and flowers, hearts and flowers and each was apt for the member sleeping in the room.

On the second morning, I arrived at breakfast and found another group seated at our reserved table, they were complaining bitterly about the eggs at breakfast and the limited variety they deemed not acceptable. Now I tell you, I chuckled and thought, if you are expecting 5 star Beverly hills catering and service, don't come here, if you are appreciative of the logistical effort in providing a huge range of options and good home-style food, you will be spoilt for choice. Breakfast and all meals for that matter, have a wide variety of options for all tastes and cultures. It is primarily an European cuisine, but has eastern options as well as pastries and breads.

The gardens and space are immaculate, a number of weeding teams weeding the lawns, trimming and shaping the bushes and cleaning the pools. A number of bars over the resort means you are close to a drink at any time. The staff took interest in knowing each of us by name and our preferences. Always smiling and never a request to demanding that they did not oblige. At times there was a bit of congestion at the cocktail bar, but if you just enjoy the tranquillity and experience, this should not trouble you.

The beach has its challenges, you will find a number of vendors hassling to sell and provide services and excursions. My advice is ignore them and say you are not interested all the time and they will soon get the message to just leave you alone, or test your bargaining skills, I would first walk around the beach area and visit a number of the curio shops before making any purchases, the price often asked is 3-4 times loaded to what they will accept.

As a rule, I do not return to a resort or destination as I like to explore new areas and have new adventures, but I will definitely be back here. Our youngest was left to do what he felt like at 5 years old, and I knew he was firstly safe and away from harm, and secondly the staff kept an eye out when he was in the pools or sea/beach. He is however water safe and has been swimming for a few years already.

If you are looking for a holiday with a difference, a really special place and good all inclusive value, this is a must. We arranged a number of excursions from our each with the local vendors. Negotiate the Dhow rates by boat, not by person, they can take 20 plus people and you could pick up the whole dhow for a sunset cruise for the price of a few passengers. Snorkelling is great to the north and east coast of the resort, but just sail south for a few kilometres and you have reefs and schools of fish. In the reef just off the resorts beach we saw lots of sea life.

Beware of the sea urchins and other stinging creatures around the reef and on the seabed.

Room Tip: We stayed downstairs, as we spent the entire day outside and around the resort, a room with a view i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BoardroomBus
Jambo!! (just had to get it in one more time!)

Thank you so much, what a pleasure it was to speak with you during your stay and we greatly appreciate your wonderful review!

I never tire of being able to share such kind remarks with our staff. As we discussed while you were here, we know that we're not the Ritz, but we work hard to be an easy, relaxed, hassle-free place to come and retreat from the world for a while. We're just so glad that our style worked so well for your family.

I am sorry about the beach boys, unfortunately with the law requiring that all beaches remain public, there is not a lot we can do about them. Ignoring them is definitely the best way to go.

We're truly honoured that you would consider a return visit. We know we're a little off the beaten track and especially with children, not the easiest place to get to, which makes it even more special that you would return.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 17 in Nungwi
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,008 reviews

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!