“Not blown away”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Nungwi
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I had high expectations after reading all the raving reviews hence my disappointment. The arrival which to me portray the image and capability of a place was unprofessional. We were expected to sit in the lounge area like school kids to fill out a register. Our register were missing until I discovered that our booking at the hotel was done in the name of the travel agent. The setting is picturesque. The accommodation was huge and clean. Every day you will be surprised by housekeeping and their towel art. I do however have a problem with the lumpy pillows, bath towels that have past their due by date, and the fact that blankets instead of duvets are used. The staff is very friendly and eager to please, but they do need some ongoing training to master the finer points. Often they would take an order for the bar only to forget about it. I think the biggest disappointment for us was the food. The food was bland, very little variation and the different stations were not properly manned. They would offer desert without spoons, smoothies without straws, I had to religiously ask for the cheese to be sliced. The croissants were stodgy. The fruit was not sliced properly. Often you would find a plate of paw paw mousse instead of slices of fruit. Meat was tough. The "snacks" were repetitive. Mini pizzas, pocorn and peanuts every day. Having experienced the best all inclusive offer in Mauritius this was not in the same league. The nights on the beach were lovely, yet not all the food was of the same standard. Pity that we could not experience the Samaki restaurant which was under construction. The best part of this resort is the amazing swimming pools and the beach area. The beach boys are a nuisance but the beaches are public areas so not much the hotel can do about it. If you go there expect to find 3* by international standards and you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

Thank you also for your fairness in praising our lovely setting and our hardworking housekeeping team, I'll be sure to share your remarks with the Executive Housekeeper and her staff.

I am sorry that so many other parts of your stay didn't meet your expectations. We are taking another look at large arrivals, I agree with you that it's not a 5-star way of handling a large number of people checking in at the same time, but we did like getting everyone out of reception and into an area where they could sit and relax while we handled the formalities. We'll go back to the drawing board and see if we can find a better option that meets both needs. I went back to look at the documentation we were sent to book your room in order to determine what had happened with the name on the booking and ran into a situation we had never had before. The travel partner we work with had sent the booking from the agency, with the agency name listed as the guest name. Had that name been something like "Thomas Cook Travel" or "booking.com", I would have taken issue with our reservations team, but in this case the agency name could very easily have been a personal name, particularly when we're welcoming guests from all over the world who often carry very different and distinct names. I am sorry that it caused some confusion, but I really couldn't blame my team for the problem.

The food is unfortunately a very complex issue. At any given time, we have between 12 and 20 nationalities among our guests. We try hard to provide a wide variety of good, fresh food that appeals to as many tastes as possible. Our most successful efforts have been to prepare it in a manner that is relatively plain and offer a number of sauces that allow individual guests to spice it to their taste. We are also happy, whenever it is feasible, to prepare individual dishes for guests that are unable to find anything they like. We receive many positive remarks regarding the meals, but I'm sorry that they didn't appeal to you and can only assure you that we continue to try to broaden our scope to be able to appeal to everyone.

The last issue I'll address is the service standards. I appreciate your acknowledgement that our staff are friendly, I completely agree with you that they are genuinely friendly people. Unfortunately it is also true that they are still learning how to be 5 star employees in handling the details of their jobs. In order to have a positive impact on the local community, we have done our best to hire as many of our staff as possible from Nungwi, then from Zanzibar, eventually from mainland Tanzania and a few expatriates. As large scale tourism is still new to Zanzibar, we still lack the more polished staff that we might find on the mainland or further afield, but if we were to hire from so far away, our impact in the local community would become a very negative one rather than a positive. We continue to work with all of our teams, virtually every department holds both daily briefings as well as weekly trainings and we run specialty trainings for our supervisory staff as well. I am confident that they are much better now than they were last year and the year before that and I know that we will continue to work so that this time next year they are better again.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. Should you be returning, please feel free to contact me directly. We would very much appreciate the opportunity to show you our better sides were you to stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The friedliest people on the planet. Always aiming to please. The food was awesome and the views, absolute heaven. To Jackson Gaitho, Robert & Annie, thank you so much for making our trip the most memorable one so far. We'll be back soon !
Ronan, Zuleikha & Kiara

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Ronan, Zuleikha & Kiara,

What a pleasure it was to meet you and welcome you to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and even more delighted to hear that you will return! I will be sure to share your kind remarks with the team, Jackson, Robert and Annie in particular. I know how pleased they will be to have been remembered so well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful review of Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, do let us know when you're on your way back!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Travelled to Zanzibar 14 - 21 June for our 10th Anniversary treat !
(Kim: Saz4444)

Al based on my opinion only.

What a fantastic resort. Out of so many resorts to chose from we ended up going largely based on the area and the good reviews on tripadvisor and what an excellent choice it was !

Being in the North the tidal effects are not as extreme and the Royal even has a beach left when the tides come in which is super as some hotels dont have any when this happens.

From beginning to end I loved this hotel. The staff are soooo friendly, they are absolutely outstanding and make you feel so welcome all the time. I have never experienced such genuine smiles and welcomes at any hotel I've travelled to. I felt like part of the "Royal" family by the time I left and spent a fair amount of time chatting to the personnel whom were real characters and real people, not just putting it on as part of their job. So much effort and pride are evident. Amongst many others, Margareth (Spices) is an absolute credit to the Royal as are Petro, Robert and Salim. I also enjoyed some interesting chats with the security ! :o) The GM, Kim is fantastic, always smiling and is of a very pleasant deposition; very hands on, visible and helpful.

They make you feel so special and if you're there for a special occassion they won't disappoint. I won't write what they do as to not spoil it. Thank you for our beautiful and tasty anniversary cake !

Questions I had before I travelled:

June : Weather was lovely, bit cloudy on and off but big blue skies and hot. Wasn't too humid which was wonderful.

Is the beach good ? Yes great; it is the promised stunning white sands, on a super stretch and you are able to walk either way when the tide is out and as above you still have a beach when the tide is in. There is also an elevateda area with loungers. To be fair I have to agree with others about the beach boys, but dont let it put you off as they even find their way onto some of the "private" beaches. It is not the hotels fault and they shouldn't be overlooked because of it.

Is the sea good ? Yes the sea is the azure crystal clear calm seas as one see's in the photos.

Are the rooms nice ? Fantastic size; with delightful double baths, big showers and lovely balconys; no problems at all.

Food : Main Restaurant; Spices : Much of a muchness, however variety of options and good pizza station; my husband said he enjoyed it. I am vegetarian which is always a problem, but the F&B Manager and F&B Supervisor made sure I was looked after and asked me every evening if I was ok or could they make something for me. Meant a lot.
Found the service all round very good.

The all inclusive is a good route to take !

Beach bar was friendly and good.

Grounds : Fantastic ! Gorgeous reception area, swimming pools and shubbery.

Entertainment : Varied every evening, always something different ! Nothing was overly loud. I thoroughly enjoyed the beach evening; again so much effort went into it and the staff were fantastic in adding to the already tropical atmosphere ! I loved dancing with Salim and the other guests. That evening was a highlight of my time spent in Zanzibar ;o) !

I could carry on and on, but if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

I loved the ambiance of Zanzibar as a whole, it is simply gorgeous. I have been lucky enough to travel to many islands and can honestly Zanzibar is one of my favourites for so many reasons ! Book it !

A big "Asante Sana" to Kim and her team. It was a pleasure to meet you all and I miss your smiley faces !

Keep it up, you've found the winning recipe !

S James

6  Thank SazRsa
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Ms 4444!

Asante sana for taking the time to post your wonderful review and generous recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

What a pleasure it was to meet you both and I appreciated your kind remarks during your stay as well as the generous insights you have shared here with our potential guests. It's not often we have people stay with us who are "in the business" and I enjoyed talking shop with you. As you already know, I absolutely love sharing reviews like this with our management team and our staff. They will be happy to hear that they made your stay and your anniversary special, although we also appreciate that you didn't blow the surprise for everyone else!

We were sorry to see you go and hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort in the future... we miss you too!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014

If this resort's goal is to make sure you worry about nothing and have everything you want for a relaxing holiday then it achieves it on every level. I will start with positives and then perhaps a couple of minor negative points.

Beautiful hotel, sparkling clean with massive rooms and massive bathtubs. Incredibly polite and helpful staff. Nothing is too much trouble, everyone always greets you with a smile.

We were worried about the all-inclusive in case the meals were repetitive but they deifnitely were not. All meals were buffet. I would say 50% of the buffet was the same but with every meal 50% of dishes were new. This includes loads of fish and meat cooked in front of you rather than all dishes being pre-prepared. Loads of fresh fruit (that was cut in front of you) and cakes for dessert. The food was absolutely delicious. The all-inclusive also includes cocktails, south Africam wine, local beers, soft drinks, water. The cocktails were lovely!

Pools: 4 beautiful pools, one of which has a swim-up bar. The pools are always sparkling clean.

Beach was only used by hotel residents with enough sunbeds. There is a beach bar with lovely polite bartenders making cocktails. They also serve teas/coffees, ice cream, fresh popcorn. The waiters on the beach pick up your empty glass not long after you finish your drink and always ask if you want another one. If you want to spend the day at the beach and don't want to go to the main restaurant for lunch, not to worry because they have food on the beach as well!!!

The hotel has 3 members of staff that organise activities. At around 10am there's stretching, 11:30 water aerobics, 16:30 beach volley. They also organised entertainment for during meals such as Masai dances, acrobatics, singers etc.

Minor negatives:
1. I would say that the activities organised by the entertainment people could have been a bit more varied. Not all 3 of them need to be present for all activities and more than 1 activity could take place at the same time.

2. Upon check-out we were asked by reception to go to cashiers which was a separate window on the side to check-out and settle any outstanding charges. That felt very odd to be honest and they make it feel as if that's beneath the reception staff. Completely unecessary I think.

3. Our room had an odd smell which we think it's possibly the result of long-standing humidity (room D22). The smell would get better once the air-con was on. Our hotel room in stone-town did not have a similar problem.

Overall, would definitely recommend and we are definitely going back. We had an absolutely fantastic time and were very realxed at the end of our week in Nungwi.

1  Thank Nikolinak5
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you so much for your tremendous review, your kind recommendation and your suggestions for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort.

We're absolutely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and we particularly liked the title you chose for your review. It's a pleasure to hear that we achieved our goal, which actually is to ensure that our guests have nothing to worry about other than when to apply their next load of sunscreen! We also appreciated your very positive comments regarding the food, the cocktails and of course, the staff we're so proud of.

We have noted your suggestions regarding the activities and will follow them up with the Animation Team. We were sorry to hear that your room smelled a bit musty. Housekeeping has been asked to air out the rooms more often during the rainy season to try to prevent this from happening. Unfortunately the cashier is something we can't change. We appreciate your comment and will work with the team at Reception to ensure they present it in a positive manner.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi. We are already looking forward to your return!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Compliments to the RZBR team. Our stay was built on a foundation of hospitality and a consistent delivery of energy, good vibes and welcome .....

The staff is unrivalled;
The elements and facilities from the picturesque pools (which are also awesome for doing laps), to the turquoise oceans views, the delicious cocktails (especially the Royal Zanzibar), the sport activities are fun, esp the volleyball; and the beach chairs are relaxing and always available;
The restaurant delivers a wide variety of foods and loved the fresh seafood dinners especially on the beach at night;
The rooms spacious and offer that glimpse of the ocean, in addition to a large shower and bath;
The views are countless and I especially loved the sunsets and different areas to take it in, from the main pool bar to the sea in front of the resort whilst floating on the water;
The coconut oil massage overlooking the ocean is a delight!

We highly recommend the hotel and Zanzibar as a tropical holiday getaway, you won't be disappointed and will thoroughly embrace and experience relaxation at its best, "Hakuna Matata" & a BIG THANKS TO THE RZBR team ..... Esp John the Bartender, what a pleasure enjoying your cocktails and your welcomes each day!

Room Tip: All the rooms offer a view of the ocean and are conveniently placed next to one part of the countles...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your marvelous review and recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort. We also loved your beautiful photos!

Aside from hearing about our wonderful staff (and on this occasion we'll be sure to extend a special thank you to John), my second favourite comment is from guests who took the opportunity to truly relax. It's an atmosphere we do our best to promote and it's a real thrill for us to hear that it has worked! We're so glad that you enjoyed it and thank you for promoting it with our potential guests.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi! We hope that next time you could use a little rest, relaxation and Hakuna Matata, you will think about a return visit, we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

When we arrived at the resort I was firstly taken away by the resorts fabulous design and decor - it is based on the beach and is beautifully landscaped. As well as it's pretty location, I was then blown away by the fantastic service provided by all of the staff, which did not stop until we left the resort. Everyone is so friendly and eager to please - the staff will do anything to make your stay pleasurable.

The room we stayed in was massive and very clean - all rooms are cleaned at least twice a day, and every night someone will come in and set up your mosquito net that surrounds your bed. The food, although not Michel Roux standard, is very good for a buffet - with plenty to choose from. To avoid buffet-food boredom, the resort does mix it up regularly, by hosting bbq's on the beach or having certain themes to keep meal times interesting. The bar staff are also amazing at cocktails - I highly recommend the Pina coladas!

The only thing I would criticise about the resort, is the "beach boys" that try to sell to you every time you are on the beach. Although this is not the resorts fault, as the "beach boys" are legally allowed to sell on the beach, they can be annoying, especially when you want to walk along the coast in peace. However usually with a firm "no" they will leave you alone.

If you do choose to stay here I would recommend asking the resort to organise a private car to pick you up from the airport. We did, and it really was a life saver, as after our long journey from the UK, the one thing I did need was aircon for an hour long journey to the resort.

Our stay was highly enjoyable and I recommend this hotel purely because of its amazing location, set-up and staff service. Thank you Royal Zanzibar! :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you so much for your lovely review and very kind recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I love thanking our remarkable staff that do everything they can to ensure that our guests have a terrific time!

I'm only sorry that I can't extend that same spirit to the beach boys. I appreciate that you understand the legalities of the problem and only wish that we could find a way to make the situation better. Unfortunately no matter what we have tried, the only thing that works so far is guests saying no and refusing to deal with them.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I loved the Royal Zanzibar. It is really great and the staff and security is great. You really feel like you are treated like royalty. I felt like family and really felt the warm heart of Africa in the Royal. I would really like to thank all the staff of the Royal for their excellent service and for making my trip very special indeed. I felt very welcome indeed.

Asante Sana Sana.

Take care and I will return soon :)

Room Tip: I had a upstairs room and it was secluded and quite. I enjoyed it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charmaine P
GM-RZBR, General Manager at Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Charmaine,

Asante sana sana for your terrific review and recommendation for Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort!

It's such a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and I will most certainly share your generous praise with our staff and our Security Team. I know that they will all be delighted to hear that you felt so welcome.

It is always an honour for us to hear that guests would choose to come back. We know that Zanzibar is a little off the beaten track and we also know that there are many other choices out there, those things make your eagerness to return even more special.

Thank you once again for choosing Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort for your stay in Nungwi, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nungwi
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Diamonds La Gemma dell' Est
My Blue Hotel
My Blue Hotel
#9 of 19 in Nungwi

Been to Royal Zanzibar Beach Resort? Share your experiences!